U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 11:29 PM

3 posts, read 1,555 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

A few months ago my husband was promoted at work and transferred to Livonia. We live on the East side and the commute is killing him so we have been looking at homes in the Livonia area. Our budget is $200,000 max, which we are quickly realizing won't get us much. It seems like a nice community and looking for a home within our budget has been proving difficult due to the high demand and competition. Although there are other affordable areas near Livonia, great schools are very important to us because we have a 20 month old and plan to have another child in the future.

The Livonia school district looks like it is rated pretty well on Niche. I've looked at the past posts about Livonia on here and I understand that the high schools rate from best to worst being Stevenson, Churchill, and Franklin? We can basically only afford the Franklin district, sometimes there is a random home in the other districts, but everything disappears so quickly. We toured a home with our realtor in the Stevenson district this week while the seller and his 2 very young children were home (mixed up appointment time). The seller told our realtor he was moving because his wife wanted to be in the better school district. I was VERY confused but later realized the Elementary school near them (Buchanan) wasn't rated as well as the others. As i looked into it more I realized there are some elementary schools in the "better" districts that actually rate a lot lower than others. The highest rated (A-) elementary schools are Webster, Hoover, and Roosevelt? With Roosevelt actually being located in the Franklin District, and being something we can afford.

But I never realized how big Livonia is. If we can find a home in the Roosevelt Elementary district I'd want my daughter to go there, but i don't want her to have to make all new friends if we had to move to another district because the middle and high schools apparently suck. So this is where I'd like more information than the previous posts on livonia schools. My husband and I have been so busy focusing on the Stevenson/Churchill area thinking ALL the schools are better and apparently they aren't?? Are these elementary school ratings correct??? The others are rated B, B-, which isn't bad, but I'd rather have the better districts. Does it even matter? Should we just focus on the better high schools for resale value purposes?

Also, can anyone explain to me what these upper level schools are? How do you know if you attend these schools or if you attend the regular middle schools? This is my first post on this forum, I'm sorry if this is a novel, I just want to be detailed because it's our first home and house hunting is stressing me out. As renters we have moved 3 times in almost 5 years and we don't want to move again in 3 years before our daughter will start kindergarten. The area we choose is the area where she'll go to school. ALSO, no disrespect to anyone or these schools, i'm strictly basing all of this on the data available to online and on these forums. THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 06:59 AM

17 posts, read 4,875 times
I'm a long time lurker here but I registered just so I could respond to this. I've seen this attitude all too often. I might get banned, but I just don't care.

I grew up in neighboring Farmington Hills. It's safe, affordable, and has good schools, but it probably has too many brown people for your liking. There are even some Black people! Horrors! So be glad you're going to lily-white Livonia where your kids will never have to be subjected to anyone who isn't white.

But don't despair, you have other options. With your budget, you could probably afford a cramped one-bedroom apartment in Northville, which has better schools than the post-apocalyptic hellscape that is Livonia. But the rich kids there will look down on the poor kids. They'll say to your kids, "You're Jonesed's kid, aren't you? You're so poor, your food stamps bounce!"

So I guess you're stuck with Livonia. By the way, if you send your children to a B+ school, terrible things will happen to them. They won't be able to learn how to play the cello. They won't learn how to play polo. They might even have to go to a state school! That's a fate I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Enough sarcasm. I'll let you in on a little secret. It doesn't matter where your kids go to school (except maybe Detroit Public Schools). The kids who go to the "best" schools do well in life because they come from rich, well-educated families who can them bribe them into the best colleges. So be happy you're moving to a middle-class suburb of a major city in a first world country. A lot of people in this world would do anything for that.

Or maybe you should've married a richer husband. No disrespect.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:06 AM

4,539 posts, read 7,861,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway111 View Post
I'm a long time lurker here but I registered just so I could respond to this. I've seen this attitude all too often. I might get banned, but I just don't care.

I grew up in neighboring Farmington Hills. It's safe, affordable, and has good schools, but it probably has too many brown people for your liking. There are even some Black people! Horrors! So be glad you're going to lily-white Livonia where your kids will never have to be subjected to anyone who isn't white.

But don't despair, you have other options. With your budget, you could probably afford a cramped one-bedroom apartment in Northville, which has better schools than the post-apocalyptic hellscape that is Livonia. But the rich kids there will look down on the poor kids. They'll say to your kids, "You're Jonesed's kid, aren't you? You're so poor, your food stamps bounce!"

So I guess you're stuck with Livonia. By the way, if you send your children to a B+ school, terrible things will happen to them. They won't be able to learn how to play the cello. They won't learn how to play polo. They might even have to go to a state school! That's a fate I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Enough sarcasm. I'll let you in on a little secret. It doesn't matter where your kids go to school (except maybe Detroit Public Schools). The kids who go to the "best" schools do well in life because they come from rich, well-educated families who can them bribe them into the best colleges. So be happy you're moving to a middle-class suburb of a major city in a first world country. A lot of people in this world would do anything for that.

Or maybe you should've married a richer husband. No disrespect.

This reply is hateful and inappropriate. I read the OP's entire post and I didn't see one thing in it that elicited this kind of response. Why do you assume she is racist and/or elitist, because she wants well rated schools for her kids? How dare she!

She never said she chose Livonia because of its racial make up, you assumed that for no good reason, did you not read that her husband was transferred to Livonia with his job? Did it occur to you that between his job being there and their max budget of $200,000 which pretty much prices them out of Farmington Hills, Northville, or most other western suburbs, that Livonia was the best fit for them?

OP, I know nothing about the schools in Livonia, i wish I could help and hopefully someone who understands your true intent and doesn't just have an ax to grind will respond with some helpful advice. I just couldn't ignore the way you were treated by that poster. There was no good reason for that at all.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:39 AM

28,055 posts, read 66,560,300 times
Livonia is OK. North Livonia is a lot nicer than south.

You might find something in the townships. Northville TWp - great schools but pricy, Plymouth township ( few areas are affordable, watch for school districts. Plymouth Canton is great Wayne Westland NVG). Novi Twp - same as Northville..Canton - same again.

Farmington acres might work. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...24580738_zpid/
Small house, but a nice piece of property.

Huron Township is sort of nearby and it more open (rural) and I think it has considerably better schools.

Redford is nearby and comparatively cheap, but the schools are bad. I would avoid Wayne Westland schools. I would (and did) avoid Taylor and Inkster.

If you increase the commute range a bit Woodhaven, and Riverview are pretty decent. Southgate is not bad either. Trenton is very nice.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-25-2019 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-25-2019, 01:56 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,409,966 times
OP, please ignore the first response. Hopefully management will remove it. In my experience this forum tries to remain more civil.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:28 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,873,287 times
I have several friends who have kids enrolled in the Livonia district. Your description of the desirability of the high schools and the patchwork of elementary schools is accurate. The reason the test scores of the elementary schools vary so much within a high school district is that there is still a lot of variation of income levels within the high school boundaries of Livonia. In the Stevenson boundary, you can have a sub of 1,000 sq ft starter homes next to a brand new development of 4,000 sq ft homes. From what my Livonia friends have told me, I think your best bet is to focus on which high school boundary your home is in.

Webster is an exception as it is a magnet school for academically talented students. Your student has to be invited to attend.

Grade configurations are as follows:

Elementary schools are K through 4

Upper elementary schools are grades 5 and 6

Middle schools are grades 7 and 8.

It's crazy how $200K just barely gets you in the door in Livonia these days, but that's consistent with what I've heard. I owned a home there, and as recently as 5 years ago I couldn't give it away. The shortage of starter homes in the metro area has really driven values through the roof there.

Figuring out where to live and send your kids to school is incredibly stressful. You sound like you're doing everything you can, and I'm sure you will find a great school for your kids. Lots of people will have opinions of what they think is best for you, but remember that you're the one who knows what you want for your kids.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post

Figuring out where to live and send your kids to school is incredibly stressful. .
It is but it should not be. Which school they attend really has very little impact on how well your kids will do in school or in life. Yes it has some impact, but many things have hugely more impact. Instead of fretting over which school district to choose, - focus on shortening your commute and dedicate yourself to spending at least an hour a day with each kid. Make sure they understood the lessons of the day, discuss how to handle social issues, make certain they are no procrastinating on long term assignments, get them out volunteering, doing community service, experiencing life, etc. You do that, and your kids will get more of a leg up than if you send them to Cranbrook.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:25 AM

4,539 posts, read 7,861,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is but it should not be. Which school they attend really has very little impact on how well your kids will do in school or in life. Yes it has some impact, but many things have hugely more impact. Instead of fretting over which school district to choose, - focus on shortening your commute and dedicate yourself to spending at least an hour a day with each kid. Make sure they understood the lessons of the day, discuss how to handle social issues, make certain they are no procrastinating on long term assignments, get them out volunteering, doing community service, experiencing life, etc. You do that, and your kids will get more of a leg up than if you send them to Cranbrook.

Although I will say that I think there is going to be a bit more negative peer pressure in a school where the majority of other parents don't have these priorities and their kids are left to their own devices. But that can span all socioeconomic levels, which is why you will hear about a bad drug problem in a high school that is in a very wealthy area. So yes, it has to begin at home. Too many kids today don't get the time and effort that they need from their parents to become productive, rational adults.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:06 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,873,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I don't think anyone is suggesting that none of those things matter. In fact, I think you'll find that the majority of parents in "good" school districts are more likely to practice those traits than those in poor performing school districts.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post

Although I will say that I think there is going to be a bit more negative peer pressure in a school where the majority of other parents don't have these priorities and their kids are left to their own devices. But that can span all socioeconomic levels, which is why you will hear about a bad drug problem in a high school that is in a very wealthy area. So yes, it has to begin at home. Too many kids today don't get the time and effort that they need from their parents to become productive, rational adults.
Our kids were in excellent school districts and in terrible school districts. While there is some influence, it did not have much of an effect on their performance. In fact, the ones that have excelled the most were the ones who spent the longest time int he terrible school district.Wherever they are, if your kids are going to excel, they will hang with other kids who excel and push each other. if they are going to flop academically (or socially), they will hang with other floppy kids and help each other flop. If they are going to pull out of a flop dive, they can do it at a good school or a bad school. All have kids with involved dedicated parents and ignored kids, all have kids driven to succeed and be awesome and kids who want to gt by with the least possible amount of effort. So, there is always a peer group for either direction.

the frantic hysteria over getting your kids into the "best" rated schools is a concoction of realtors,not psychologists or sociologists. While a better produce a statistically larger number of exemplary kids, that does not really mean anything as to your particular kid. Too many parents choose a great school district and think that is it, they have done their duty. re lots of under-performing kids mixed in with the truly amazing kids at our local school.

better schools and peer groups do have an impact, but it is massively overblown. It may have a 20% or less impact, not the 99% realtors would have you believe.

Get your kids into a great school, and you are all set - they will automatically be successful. Get your kids out of that bad school, they will be failures if they go there. Both are completely untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or