U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2019, 04:57 AM
 
10 posts, read 5,093 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Looking to move from Lyon Twp in South Lyon and looking to build a new home in a subdivision. We have been looking at 2 different areas as my job as a remote sales rep gives me flexibility on location. We got sick of the lack of things to do in South Lyon as we need to drive to Novi, Northville, Plymouth for everything.

We used to live in NY and when we moved to Michigan 6 years ago we rented in Rochester Hills and liked it. But we purchased a home in a sub in Lyon Twp where we have lived the last 4 years and are looking to buy a new home as we out grew the house. We are looking at a sub with Lombardo and Toll Brothers. The Oakland twp house is about 5 miles away from downtown Rochester which is about 10-12 minutes. So lots to do with bars, food, parks, activities. You get more land and space between houses, and also I can get much more for my money like adding a sunroom in Oakland twp house. Canton is nice too as that sub feels like a village community with 3 builders Pulte, M/I, and Toll Brothers in there. Houses are a bit closer together so less privacy. I wanted to hear some feedback between Oakland Twp vs Canton which area would be the better destination for a family in mid 30's with 3 children under 5. Schools are a big factor of course so the Oakland twp home is zoned for Rochester Schools and Canton is Plymouth-Canton. Also taxes are lower in Oakland Twp compared to Canton. HOA is about the same. Thanks for the advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2019, 05:38 AM
 
6,220 posts, read 7,603,355 times
Reputation: 3435
Are you looking in the Cherry Hill village area of Canton? If so, most stores/shops/bars in the village have gone out of business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 AM
 
915 posts, read 1,206,103 times
Reputation: 1318
I'd choose Oakland Township over Canton/Cherry Hill any day. It's really not a choice for me. Of course, I'd choose Oakland Township.

I've lived in both Rochester Hills and Canton. I found the quality of life to be a lot better in the Rochester area.

Schools - night and day different. Our son started in Rochester and we moved to Plymouth Canton. That was a big mistake.

You can search my posts where I've complained about the differences extensively.

We are a lot happier with the South Lyon schools.

I like the vibe in the Rochester area more than I do the Canton area. A lot more friendly. In Canton, you still have to drive to access decent restaurants/things to do. So that's not much of a change from what you are doing now in Lyon.

I still miss Nino's (in North Troy) and Papa Joe's for better fruits/veggies/meat.

I drove to Westland (I think it was) for a decent meat market and Holiday is the only really great grocery store in Canton. Canton is really kind of meh when it comes to better restaurant choices. You'll still drive to Plymouth, or Novi, or Ann Arbor for better choices. (So, that's really not an improvement over the situation in Lyon).

The lesson: more choices doesn't actually equal good or better choices.

Lots of parks and things to do in Rochester. People seem to be a lot friendlier up there too.

The only thing that really gives Canton a plus in my mind are the two splash pads in Canton/Plymouth. One at the Canton civic center and the other at Plymouth Township Park. And if you are an IKEA fan.....then IKEA is right on Ford Road.

However, traffic on Ford Road - nightmare most of the day. Kind of like Rochester Road near Auburn (so, again, that's kind of a wash).

In the end, I really wasn't impressed with Canton. Canton was really a transition place for us. I was expecting to stay there about 2-3 years. My husband started looking for a way out after 9 months and we were in Lyon for the next school year. (We left specifically because of our experience with the school district).

We moved down here because husband got a job in Ann Arbor, and the commute between Rochester/AA would have been horrible. We'd still be in the Rochester area, if it hadn't been for the job opportunity. We joke about retiring up there because we still love/miss the area.

Good luck wherever you end up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 10:05 AM
 
1,071 posts, read 1,211,358 times
Reputation: 1345
Another vote for Rochester area.

If you have a remote/flexible job, that mitigates the one real downside of Oakland Twp/Rochester which is the commute to many of the major business centers in Metro Detroit.

Far better sense of community, activities, schools, and parks in the Rochester area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 02:49 PM
 
10 posts, read 5,093 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Are you looking in the Cherry Hill village area of Canton? If so, most stores/shops/bars in the village have gone out of business.
Ya that was the area. Hamlet Meadows sub. I did see no real stores outside a Cold Stones. What stores closed? That isn't a good sign based on all the homes built.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 02:58 PM
 
10 posts, read 5,093 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
I'd choose Oakland Township over Canton/Cherry Hill any day. It's really not a choice for me. Of course, I'd choose Oakland Township.

I've lived in both Rochester Hills and Canton. I found the quality of life to be a lot better in the Rochester area.

Schools - night and day different. Our son started in Rochester and we moved to Plymouth Canton. That was a big mistake.

You can search my posts where I've complained about the differences extensively.

We are a lot happier with the South Lyon schools.

I like the vibe in the Rochester area more than I do the Canton area. A lot more friendly. In Canton, you still have to drive to access decent restaurants/things to do. So that's not much of a change from what you are doing now in Lyon.

I still miss Nino's (in North Troy) and Papa Joe's for better fruits/veggies/meat.

I drove to Westland (I think it was) for a decent meat market and Holiday is the only really great grocery store in Canton. Canton is really kind of meh when it comes to better restaurant choices. You'll still drive to Plymouth, or Novi, or Ann Arbor for better choices. (So, that's really not an improvement over the situation in Lyon).

The lesson: more choices doesn't actually equal good or better choices.

Lots of parks and things to do in Rochester. People seem to be a lot friendlier up there too.

The only thing that really gives Canton a plus in my mind are the two splash pads in Canton/Plymouth. One at the Canton civic center and the other at Plymouth Township Park. And if you are an IKEA fan.....then IKEA is right on Ford Road.

However, traffic on Ford Road - nightmare most of the day. Kind of like Rochester Road near Auburn (so, again, that's kind of a wash).

In the end, I really wasn't impressed with Canton. Canton was really a transition place for us. I was expecting to stay there about 2-3 years. My husband started looking for a way out after 9 months and we were in Lyon for the next school year. (We left specifically because of our experience with the school district).

We moved down here because husband got a job in Ann Arbor, and the commute between Rochester/AA would have been horrible. We'd still be in the Rochester area, if it hadn't been for the job opportunity. We joke about retiring up there because we still love/miss the area.

Good luck wherever you end up.
We love Plymouth Twp Park! We actually make the drive now from South Lyon. Not big fans of McHattie.

I feel like every person I've asked told me Oakland Twp. Taxes, More house, better things to do, cleaner. Diversity is important to us as we grew up in NY and it is a melting pot but It feels like both areas are diverse and everyone in Rochester are very friendly based on our visits and the 2 years we lived there.

My wifes one concern was the Elementary school assigned to the subdivision. It is Baldwin Elementary. Graded very well on all sites but when we visited it looked very aged, not a huge playground/play area, roads were not paved. Do you know anything about Baldwin? Did your children go there or do you know anyone that attended. I know the more important thing is quality of schooling. You are right being within 10 minutes to Rochester Hills and 20 to Troy is convenient.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 02:59 PM
 
10 posts, read 5,093 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Another vote for Rochester area.

If you have a remote/flexible job, that mitigates the one real downside of Oakland Twp/Rochester which is the commute to many of the major business centers in Metro Detroit.

Far better sense of community, activities, schools, and parks in the Rochester area.
Thanks ya I'm a dealer rep so I work with Franchise car dealers so I have flexibility as long as I'm 30-40 miles from Detroit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2019, 08:04 PM
 
1,071 posts, read 1,211,358 times
Reputation: 1345
That is a beautiful area up there with the semi-rural character still with some dirt roads, Paint Creek trail, the cider mill.
20 years ago there was barely anything north of Tienken Rd, 30 years ago it was farms and orchards.

Oakland Twp is one of the more well-moneyed areas of Metro Detroit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 03:51 AM
 
Location: Canton, MI
460 posts, read 697,404 times
Reputation: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by abok1980 View Post

My wifes one concern was the Elementary school assigned to the subdivision. It is Baldwin Elementary. Graded very well on all sites but when we visited it looked very aged, not a huge playground/play area, roads were not paved. Do you know anything about Baldwin? Did your children go there or do you know anyone that attended. I know the more important thing is quality of schooling. You are right being within 10 minutes to Rochester Hills and 20 to Troy is convenient.
As someone whose kids are grown, I found that in the grand scheme of things most elementary schools are the same in a good school district, give or take 10%. Focus on the high school your kids will eventually go to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 AM
 
Location: Canton, MI
460 posts, read 697,404 times
Reputation: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by abok1980 View Post
Ya that was the area. Hamlet Meadows sub. I did see no real stores outside a Cold Stones. What stores closed? That isn't a good sign based on all the homes built.
They've been pretty much empty in the 10 years I've lived in Canton. It's a great concept but evidently the people who live in there don't use those stores much and those from outside (like me) never use them. Even Cold Stones was closed for a couple of years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top