U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2019, 03:15 PM

336 posts, read 323,150 times

Advertisements

So I like to watch out-of-town news streams online because Im an uberdork like that lol. So I was watching WNEM, the CBS affiliate's news out of Saginaw the other day and I was surprised to see that they had a traffic report out of Downtown Detroit! I was wondering is this because people in northern Oakland County, for example, watch this as the "local" news since WWJ doesnt have a local newscast besides weather, or are there commuters coming into Detroit from as far aflung as Bay City, etc. How far is it? What about Ohio? I know SE Michigan gets commuters from Windsor, etc. Thought it was interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 07:42 PM

10,276 posts, read 9,507,001 times
Saginaw is too far for daily commuting. You'll get a handful of folks from Flint area, but not Saginaw. And they're much more likely to be headed to Oakland County employment centers than downtown.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:28 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,693,462 times
That's just kind of goofy. I don't know the geographic area of coverage of these stations but most of the Flint / Tri-Cities TV stations are not carried by cable providers and/or available over the air in most of Oakland or Livingston counties.

I've seen the news and traffic reports on the Flint stations and its just that, traffic reports for commuters inbound to Flint/Grand Blanc regions; basically the I-75, I-69, I-475, US-23 corridors.

The reality is that very few people north of Clarkston / Lake Orion or West/North of Brighton area commute into downtown or deep into the Metro Detroit area. There are a decent number of people in Northern Oakland County (e.g., Grand Blanc, Holly, Ortonville) who may commute to Troy and Auburn Hills; or from places like Fenton to Ann Arbor but going all the way into downtown Detroit is a long haul. I know people who do Clarkston-Downtown Detroit and that used to be ~60 minutes leaving at 6:30am and departing by 4pm, but this year is approaching 2 hours each with with all the construction. They are gluttons for punishment.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:57 AM

915 posts, read 1,387,925 times
When I was traveling in the Yukon (years ago) I flipped through the stations in my hotel room. One of the stations was running the Detroit Public Television telethon. It was crazy to see this on my television so far away from Michigan. Reading this post, I can't help but think that "at least Saginaw is in the same state as Detroit".

Still - that's really goofy and just not realistic for commuting.

Sometimes, the opposite happens because travelers from Detroit drive 75 to get to "up North", so newscasters will try to give people a heads up if there's severe traffic issues. But that's not an everyday thing. It's more of a weekend thing "to keep in mind as you are traveling."

Also, to just answer the Ohio point of your question, there are people who commute from OH, but they tend work in the more southern areas of the Metro area/Ann Arbor. They aren't driving up to Flint and other points north on a daily basis. It's about an hour from Toledo to either Downtown Detroit or Ann Arbor (for perspective).

Old 09-17-2019, 11:15 AM

3,890 posts, read 4,005,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Also, to just answer the Ohio point of your question, there are people who commute from OH, but they tend work in the more southern areas of the Metro area/Ann Arbor. They aren't driving up to Flint and other points north on a daily basis. It's about an hour from Toledo to either Downtown Detroit or Ann Arbor (for perspective).
+1
My Brother in law commutes from Toledo/Lambertville, MI to Dearborn (either Ford HQ or River Rouge)

Old 09-18-2019, 12:39 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,429,341 times
I have few coworkers who drive from Toledo to Downriver. It is equal distance from Troy to Downriver, so not too bad. I think 1hr drive is the max most people will do. Althought I did have a dentist friend who would work 2 days in Jackson, MI from Bloomfield because that was the only jobs she found in her early career. She didn't commute daily but stayed one night in motel or crashed with a friend in Ann Arbor

Old 09-23-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
When I was traveling in the Yukon (years ago) I flipped through the stations in my hotel room. One of the stations was running the Detroit Public Television telethon. It was crazy to see this on my television so far away from Michigan. Reading this post, I can't help but think that "at least Saginaw is in the same state as Detroit".

Still - that's really goofy and just not realistic for commuting.

Sometimes, the opposite happens because travelers from Detroit drive 75 to get to "up North", so newscasters will try to give people a heads up if there's severe traffic issues. But that's not an everyday thing. It's more of a weekend thing "to keep in mind as you are traveling."

Haha thats fascinating. Every so often I see ads for stores advertising they have a branch in Ottawa. Its weird that Detroit stations seem to be seen all over Canada lol.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
That's just kind of goofy. I don't know the geographic area of coverage of these stations but most of the Flint / Tri-Cities TV stations are not carried by cable providers and/or available over the air in most of Oakland or Livingston counties.

I've seen the news and traffic reports on the Flint stations and its just that, traffic reports for commuters inbound to Flint/Grand Blanc regions; basically the I-75, I-69, I-475, US-23 corridors.

The reality is that very few people north of Clarkston / Lake Orion or West/North of Brighton area commute into downtown or deep into the Metro Detroit area. There are a decent number of people in Northern Oakland County (e.g., Grand Blanc, Holly, Ortonville) who may commute to Troy and Auburn Hills; or from places like Fenton to Ann Arbor but going all the way into downtown Detroit is a long haul. I know people who do Clarkston-Downtown Detroit and that used to be ~60 minutes leaving at 6:30am and departing by 4pm, but this year is approaching 2 hours each with with all the construction. They are gluttons for punishment.
Yeah it must be maybe people taking weekend trips perhaps. I did see a Flint transit bus once in Troy. I had to look it up as I was unfamiliar with the agency.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:35 PM

30,310 posts, read 75,248,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
T
I work with a lady who commutes form Fenton to Downtown, but she comes in at 10 and works until 7 so she does not have to deal with traffic on top of an insanely long commute. Also so she does not have to get up at 4 a.m. to get to work on time.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:22 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,693,462 times
I've heard of some generally insane commutes over the years:

- Midland to Warren (guy lost his job when his prior employer closed a plant, and did the commute for about a year until he could find something closer)
- Corunna to Southfield (guy did it 3 days a week, for a few years, didn't want to relocate his family)
- Romeo to downtown (guy used to work in Warren, figures he will eventually be back out there)

Within the automotive industry here in SE Michigan its not uncommon to see people with some crazy commutes as they take positions in different locations but don't want to move their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit