U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2019, 10:39 AM

12 posts, read 14,196 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on the Residences at the Westin Book Cadillac? Was hoping to hear some “real” feedback, not just a rental agent’s sales pitch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 08:10 AM

30,305 posts, read 75,189,854 times
I know a little about it. Do not live there, but I know people who do. I also had some involvement in the development/construction. What do you want to know?

Old 11-08-2019, 08:02 PM

It’s a few blocks from where I’ll be working, so that’s a plus. Was just wondering if the building is fairly quiet and if building management is professional/responsive. I have had some bad experiences in high rise rentals that advertise themselves as “luxury”, but turn out to be anything but that. Thank you.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:55 AM

2,203 posts, read 1,932,863 times
I'm no help but...
My wife and I stayed in the Hotel portion this summer for a wedding. We were on the "top floor" of the hotel elevator. Looking out our room I could see several floors above us that didn't have elevator buttons and I was wondering what was up there.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:02 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,690,640 times
I do know that a prior CEO for GM was living there several years ago as where they stayed while working in Detroit. That is about all I know.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:42 AM

I have heard mixed reviews of the management's responsiveness. Some say it is great, some say it is terrible. I can tell you a few things to consider or be aware of:

1. Never valet your car. The valet drivers are mostly very poor drivers. Some do not even know which side of the road they belong on (not just complaining - the gal literally thought she was supposed to drive on the left side). Some of them are obviously stoned. Some are decent drivers and very considerate, but they are not in a majority. I have seen them hit an adjoining car and then move the car they are parking to a different floor so they will not get caught. they changed the parking procedure, so maybe this cannot happen anymore (they now have assigned/numbered spaces). Valet driving has improved but a majority of them are still really terrible. You may be better off without a car. If you have a Detroit address, car insurance rates to shock you. Very likely the highest anywhere in the country.

2. I would ask other tenants about construction issues. the building was converted and restored during the recession. I am not certain but I think there was a default and difficulty for contractors getting paid. (I know fort Shelby had this issue and I think B.C. did too). Ask specifically how does your HVAC perform? Leaks? Sound issues? Plumbing? I have not heard of problems but I would be cautious with construction from 2007-2012. Not necessarily bvad, but there i an increased risk.

3. Depending on which side you are on, be sure you are high enough up to not be staring into the adjoining buildings and they into your windows. Some of the people leave their curtains open and display all of their activities to the people in the parking garage or adjoining apartments like a TV show. Maybe they are exhibitionists.

4. The one area that is still significantly seedy is the transportation center down Michigan a few blocks. Some people disagree with me, but I tell my kids to stay away from there, especially at night.

5. Be aware there are concerts in the summer in Campus Martius. The Jazz festival is centered there as well (so are some other festivals). So if you an early to bed early to rise type, you may be unhappy at times.

6. Sharing a building with a hotel comes with pluses and minuses. A lot of services are available and one of our best restaurants (Roast) downstairs, but it can get pretty crazy there too. Personally, I would chose one of the other similar buildings that is not also a hotel, but some people love it there.

6. Lots of cool thing a few feet away. Prime & Proper - one of the top ten steakhouses in the USA is right behind B.C. (in fact the smoke from their wood or charcoal grills will come in your windows if you are on that side). Lafayette and American Coney Island across the street. Campus Martius has a skating rink, the City Christmas tree in winter and the beach (an outdoor bar with an amusing duplicate beach) as well as many festivals and events in the summer. There are a lot of nice restaurants and taverns within an easy walk. greektown is a medium walk. The stadium/theater district is also a medium walk. (Detroit has more professional theater seating than mos other cities). Q line is a block away and can zip you up to mid-town in about the time it takes to walk, but much more comfortably. Mid-town is a cultural center with the DIA, DPL Wayne State Campus, African American history museum (I forget the exact name, very moving museum), and a handful of other museums. People mover gets you easily to the Ren Cen, river-walk, Brick town. A bicycle gets you to Eastern Market and Corktown (or a long walk, or a scooter). Riverwalk provides a great park experience, especially once the new section is build (with a swimming lagoon). Some parts are very nature oriented, others developed but peaceful o artsy etc.

If you are a generalist that like a little bit of everything (rock, pop, jazz, theater, classical music, comedy, different styles and levels of food, etc) it is an ideal location. You can skip a car and just use feet/bicycle/scooters/Uber/Q and PM to get around if you do not have a lot of need to go out to the suburbs daily. Only thing missing is retail shopping. (Use Amazon or Uber to Meijer, or out to a mall once in a while if you need to).

If you are working for Quicken or one of the other Dan Gilbert Companies, there are coworkers living in the book Cadillac. Ask them how it is.

BTW, there are a lot of high rise apartment condo/hotel buildings in the area. David Stott, David Whiteny, Broderick Tower, Fort Shelby

Old 11-11-2019, 04:21 PM

Thank you for your very detailed response.

My husband and I formerly resided in the near West Chicago suburbs of Forest Park/Oak Park. We’d love to replicate the living situation we had there: secure condo (4 units in the whole building) with large outdoor space/balcony, very walkable neighborhood with lots of shopping/restaurants nearby. We thought maybe downtown Detroit would fit that bill, but it seems there are mostly high rise buildings. I think we will have to expand our search outside the city limits.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemommy View Post
Thank you for your very detailed response.

My husband and I formerly resided in the near West Chicago suburbs of Forest Park/Oak Park. We’d love to replicate the living situation we had there: secure condo (4 units in the whole building) with large outdoor space/balcony, very walkable neighborhood with lots of shopping/restaurants nearby. We thought maybe downtown Detroit would fit that bill, but it seems there are mostly high rise buildings. I think we will have to expand our search outside the city limits.
Most, but not all of the residential units downtown are in high rise buildings. there are a number of newl renovated smaller buildings with what appear to be residences on the top floors over a resturaunt or retail locaiton. i have not seen them advertised, I am not sure how you get information about them.

There are a number of small condo low rises in Mid-town. Mid-town is arguably more "walkable" than downtown, however everyone's definitions of "walkable" differ. Many condos are in very old brownstone type places, but also many new ones. You might also look at corktown, but the "walkable" part of corktown is pretty small.

Also consider Ferndale, Royal Oak, Wyandotte, and, if you do not mind a long commute, Brimingham or Rochester City. Northville or Plymouth might fit the bill for you as well if you are getting into that long of a commute.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:49 AM

6 posts, read 2,940 times
This is my first time hearing about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit