Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 04:27 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
What's your budget?
It says it right in the OP: $350K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 02:12 PM

156 posts, read 174,391 times
I lived in Metro Detroit for about 4 years, and let me tell you, the place is massively under-rated. You'll have a good selection of places to choose from there with that budget. I would check out Troy, Berkley, Oak Park, Shelby Township and Sterling Heights... If your job is in Royal Oak and Sterling Heights, then you want to live in or near the "Woodward corridor," which is what I would call any area between Birmingham and Ferndale.

Contact a real estate agent in this area, do a little research, and you'll find what you're looking for. I think you'll love Detroit metro, so much to do here... and Detroit city proper is on a massive upswing. Downtown is a blast. Of course things have slowed a bit due to Covid, but it'll be back to normal shortly. -- Good luck on your move!!

Old 02-17-2021, 07:34 AM

271 posts, read 294,253 times
Maybe Farmington Hills? It seems like it would fit most of the OP's criteria.

Budget: The cost of living is low. $350k will buy a ~2500 sq. ft. house built in the 70s-80s.
Acreage: There are a lot of 1/2 acre properties, and some are even larger.
Quiet: As long as you're not near I-696 or a major road.
Open space: several parks, as well as small pockets of forest everywhere
Property tax: Not sure, but probably relatively low.
Schools: Depending on your definition of "good", this could be a sticking point. The schools are not top-tier, though they are still slightly above average.
Commute: 15-30 minutes to Royal Oak, ~45 minutes to Sterling Heights. I'm not sure if that's a reasonable commuting distance for you.
Political orientation: Left-leaning. Not as liberal as Ferndale or Ann Arbor, but it's far from MAGA country.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:08 AM

24 posts, read 26,240 times
You will want to live in Oakland County. There are homes in the $300-350k range in Ferndale, Royal Oak, Berkley, Clawson, and even a few in higher priced Pleasant Ridge and Huntington Woods. Not sure if you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for in terms of size and style of home though. Troy also has good schools and homes in that price range. All of the areas I listed lean more liberal than the rest of metro Detroit. Rochester Hills is a bit more conservative but not MAGA country.

You start to get into conservative territory once you’re in most parts of Macomb County. You’ll find larger homes at a cheaper price but I wouldn’t recommend moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit