Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Detroit's Progress
Detroit is not progressing at all, maybe regressing 14 26.92%
Detroit is moving along nicely and getting there 15 28.85%
Detroit is starting to turn the corner and the future is bright 23 44.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 05:46 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,181 times

Advertisements

With COVID over the last year plus, we all haven't been traveling much (I hope); but I ran into an old friend in Philly the other week who moved outside of Detroit a couple years ago. He's an engineer at a nuclear plant. To make a long story short, he was singing the praises of the rebirth of the city. It dawned on me that I've never been and really know nothing about the city. I started googling, and, depending on the time of the images, it ranges from third-world to completely transformed. So, for those that know... I'm curious, what's the current situ and what's the future forecast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 06:25 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
I have family and a friend who live in some of Detroit's suburbs. The suburbs are actually pretty nice. But Detroit had taken a pretty severe beating over the decades. Crime, blight, lack of diversified economy, and political corruption. But they seem to be trying to correct these issues. They're on their way. I love the area and it has enormous potential. Economic diversification and citizens voting wisely in the city and metro will make all of the difference.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:35 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
I voted for "turning a corner and the future is bright" which I'm guessing is the middle one between progressing and regressing. Anyhow it's turned to corner about 5-10 years ago and has gotten better than it used to be. It's also no longer in the spotlight for negative media attention for crime and blight. Chicago has taken that spot, and also St. Louis and Baltimore. Detroit still has a lot more work to do to reach its full potential. The last time I was there was 2018, so I'm not sure how the pandemic affected the city and from I heard it seemed to be immune from all the protests/riots over the last year.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:40 AM

148 posts, read 119,577 times
It has a long way to go, some nice progress around downtown and the immediate neighborhoods in proximity to it but most of the city is still crap.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:07 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToGA View Post
It has a long way to go, some nice progress around downtown and the immediate neighborhoods in proximity to it but most of the city is still crap.
^^^This is the correct answer IMO, which wasn't a poll option.

Last edited by citidata18; 04-16-2021 at 07:16 AM..

Old 04-16-2021, 04:26 PM

393 posts, read 261,757 times
Turning the corner and SLIGHTLY making progress!

Old 04-17-2021, 04:27 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
I've spent a lot of time all over the metro area, off and on in the last 3 yrs.

Hearing people talk about what areas like Hamtramck, etc. used to be like (not that long ago), the place has clearly turned a corner.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:20 PM

46 posts, read 60,588 times
I'm just a lifelong suburbanite (Ann Arbor), so take this with a grain of salt. I think Detroit has reached the "acceptance" phase where violence, looting, and burning is recognized as counter-productive and is only harming your own community. Many other communities seem to have yet to reach that phase. In that sense, while Detroit still has a long ways to go, it has turned a corner.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I work in downtown Deteroit and volunteer in ways that take me to several different neighborhoods.

Downtown and connected areas have more than turned the corner. The difference from about ten years ago or less is nothing but astounding. Detroit is now one of my favorite cities because it offers all of the interesting elements (and more) of most other cities without the insane crowds. There are enough people around to keep things interesting but few enough to avoid long waits, standing in crowds, or inablity to get into places. COVID of course has slowed tings down massively.

Some of the neighborhoods are still decaying and emptying out while a few are recovering and adding people. That will continue until the size is adjusted

Old 04-20-2021, 11:20 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Some areas are undergoing a completed transformation. Del Rey for example, has been mostly leveled to make room for the new Gordie Howe international bridge and the point of entry plaza. Within a few year sof completion of the bridge, the entire area will no longer be recognizable. The Brush Park/Stadium District area is part way into a similar transformation. The waterfront continues to change dramatically as the Riverwalk is expanded and parks are added. Already the area bears no resemblance to a decade or so ago and huge additional changes are underway. The replacement for the Hudson's building will substantially change the Detroit skyline as well as completely changing the atmosphere of the library street/Woodward area around it. they are approaching 20 stories with the elevator towers now. By the end of summer the building will likely be taking shape. Perhaps it will even be enclosed by winter(seems unlikely, they do not seem to be going gangbusters on it).

Thus while the transformation is already amazing, bigger things are in the works and will create even greater change. The anticipated massive economic crash in the third or fourth quarter of this year may put the brakes on things for a while, but by about 2025, this will again be a completely different city. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit