Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 AM

85 posts, read 295,816 times

Advertisements

hello i am a 30 year old afro american and i work near downtown detroit and i like the downriver community i also have a school age child. my question is i am looking to buy a home and am looking in wyandotte and southgate these are the only cities i am looking into dont want taylor riverview little too far so can someone familiar with the area tell me the basic difference between the 2

i know southgate is bigger the homes in wyandotte appear to be too clsoe together with narrow streets also whats the difference in schools which city has the better school district

also which area of southgate is not so nice which area of wyandottE?

i heard wyandotte had a lot more pollution is that all over or only near the water i like a house on 4th near emmons i could walk to the water the train tracks are right there

i like downtown wyandotte but southgate is nice as well which do u prefer and why any help would be useful to me thank u very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 12:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,329,743 times
Wyandotte is an older neighborhood so naturally the homes will be more traditional styles and lots sized accordingly. Wyandotte does have a downtown that is seeing a great reniassance lately. There is a lovely park along the river, and, of course, they have the art fair. Wyandotte also owns some of its own utilities, so there is that so consider as well.

Southgate is actually smaller then Wyandotte, I think. It is a younger community, will be celebrating it's golden anniversary soon. Houses built mainly between late 40's and 1960's. Lots of ranch, bungalow, and cape cods. Three new sub-divisions come to mind that have larger homes. Many neighborhood parks and nice complex by the city building. Southgate does not have a "downtown" per se, but there is plenty of shopping available.

I know families with children in both districts. I am not aware of any major deficencies in either.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:56 PM

695 posts, read 3,398,511 times
Wyandotte is older and more traditional. Great downtown. Southgate is a very 40s suburb. They border each other so no matter which you live in you can access both of their amenities.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:09 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
Which has better schools? Trenton.

Wyandotte is really a neat place. A little bit exciting, a little bit quiet, a little bit pretty. Southgate is a place to go shopping. I am really not sure where the homes are in Southgate. I do not think it has a downtown. Wyandotte pollution is probably mostly near the chemical plant, but they are cleaning that up. Parts of Allen park are pretty nice too.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:15 AM

85 posts, read 295,816 times
Default thanks

thanks a lot i was looking at a house in wyandotte near the railroad tracks and emmons but it is not that far from the basf plant and that is something to look at

i like downtown wyandotte but i can always visit if i live in southgate thanks

Old 06-11-2008, 09:43 AM

695 posts, read 3,398,511 times
In my opinion houses on Emmons Blvd are some of the nicest in town and never ever have I experienced a pollution problem while being near the BASF plant, which is where I spend a lot of time near while in Wyandotte.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 AM

69 posts, read 202,269 times
I worked 12 years at BASF, so I understand your concern. Now, I live in Lincoln Park only about 2 miles from the BASF site (I wish I worked there now! LOL).

If you are set on either Southgate or Wyandotte, I would say that Southgate has the better schools of the two. Someone mentioned Trenton, which has a very good school system and so does Allen Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit