Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:58 AM

106 posts, read 535,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
This is a brilliant post that makes alot of very valid points! I agree that part of Detroit's problem has been the inability to annex it's suburbs. This is indeed how many other large cities with decaying infrastructures have survived and vastly improved themselves.

Yet, the divide here is greater than most, if not all, parts of America. Will the burbs allow it to happen?
NEVER!!!!!! Detroit should not be allowed to annex it's suburbs, or consolidate school districts. Why should these fine cities be burdened with Detroit's problem students? Eventually their wealthier residents would move on, and the suburbs would become as terrible as the city.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:05 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetro View Post
NEVER!!!!!! Detroit should not be allowed to annex it's suburbs, or consolidate school districts. Why should these fine cities be burdened with Detroit's problem students? Eventually their wealthier residents would move on, and the suburbs would become as terrible as the city.
Its partly happening already. "Open enrollment" has caused some schools to take a nose dive. They bring in Detroit students, who for the most part end up just causing fights, rucus and other riff-raff on their way to the Smart bus stop. Im glad a few wised up and got rid of that right away.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:03 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetro View Post
If they HAD been allowed to decades ago, we would'nt be in the problem we are now. Lots of other cities did with better results than what we currently have to deal with. But yes, if it happened now, it would be disastrous.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:08 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
Quote:
If they HAD been allowed to decades ago, we would'nt be in the problem we are now. Lots of other cities did with better results than what we currently have to deal with. But yes, if it happened now, it would be disastrous.
I worked for the City of Detroit under Coleman A. Youg, Mayor, decades ago. You're wrong.

People have a right to vote with their feet. The solution to white people fleeing Detroit after WWII, (and later, black people too) is not to throw the boundaries of the City of Detroit farther out than they are willing to run. If you tried that, they'd have to change the name of the City of Chicago to "Chicroit".

The answer to white flight, and now just plain, old "flight", is to make the City of Detroit appealing to those with children who are looking for a place to raise them. You don't do that by running the city soo poorly that residents must pay three times the amount of tax money for one third the amount of public service. You don't do it by forcing people to send their kids to private schools AND pay a huge school tax. You don't do it by alienating those who's investment in money, time and humanity you need the most. You don't do it by turning down a man willing to donate millions of dollars to build schools. In fact, you pretty much do it by looking at what the current leadership of the city is doing, and then doing the exact opposite!!

Old 07-10-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I worked for the City of Detroit under Coleman A. Youg, Mayor, decades ago. You're wrong.

People have a right to vote with their feet. The solution to white people fleeing Detroit after WWII, (and later, black people too) is not to throw the boundaries of the City of Detroit farther out than they are willing to run. If you tried that, they'd have to change the name of the City of Chicago to "Chicroit".

The answer to white flight, and now just plain, old "flight", is to make the City of Detroit appealing to those with children who are looking for a place to raise them. You don't do that by running the city soo poorly that residents must pay three times the amount of tax money for one third the amount of public service. You don't do it by forcing people to send their kids to private schools AND pay a huge school tax. You don't do it by alienating those who's investment in money, time and humanity you need the most. You don't do it by turning down a man willing to donate millions of dollars to build schools. In fact, you pretty much do it by looking at what the current leadership of the city is doing, and then doing the exact opposite!!
I can agree with this statement. But from what I've heard, Coleman Young was guilty of many of the things you are decrying. I don't know myself since I haven't lived here that long, but my co-workers tell horror stories about his reign over the D.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:27 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
Quote:
I can agree with this statement. But from what I've heard, Coleman Young was guilty of many of the things you are decrying. I don't know myself since I haven't lived here that long, but my co-workers tell horror stories about his reign over the D.
Coleman Young was just a hustler. So is Kwame, without Coleman's style. Coleman's nickname was "Bigtime Red". He got the "Red" due to his light complexion. The "Bigtime" came from the scams he used to pull growing up. He would print up a bunch of tickets to a show featuring big name bands, singers, etc. during his "Paradise Valley" days. Then he'd promote the show, sell the tickets and take off with the money...there was never any show booked. He kept that up his whole life, reference Kenny Weiner, the millions of dollars stolen from the police Secret Service Fund (Bill Hart was a fall guy for Coleman), the Krugerands.....denying his kid(s?) born out of wedlock (Joel Loving with Anivory Calvert), the trips to the Bahamas, and the list goes on and on. Detroit's decline is inevitable. There is no hope for Detroit to be as good as it was, even as late as the 80's, in my lifetime. I really don't think Kwame is any better, but at least Coleman was Kool. Just not Kool enough to keep me around.....

Read his autobiography, "Hard Stuff". It's entertaining and if you read between the lines, enlightening.
Amazon.com: Hard Stuff: The Autobiography of Mayor Coleman Young: Books: Coleman Young,Lonnie Wheeler

Old 07-11-2007, 01:47 PM

34 posts, read 141,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother WilliamX View Post
Hate is hate no matter how you look at it, but remember American history when it mentioned hanging,burning, and firebombing Churches in the South.

Thereforth its natural for Blacks to resent or hate after what happened. There is many Blacks in the South who is affaid of Jim Crow or should I be more blunt? Whereas here in the North its a whole new game. We have learned how to express our anger or resentment. Regardless to if its being hostle or having pure hate, if it don't apply then let it fly.
i have agreed with you many of your opinions until this one. I love Detroit. VIsit often and live just 3/4 north of the city. But to say that Blacks are justified in anger because of how they were treated is right? What about the Native Americans who were also forced from their homes. The Native Americans were rounded up, forced to live on reservations, women were raped, men were killed because they did not submit, and worst o fall, children were taken from their homes and families and sent to be Americanized. The idea being that if they did not learn the culture or language that the 'problem' of the Natives would go away. Or the Irish that were forced to live in one area because they were considered too poor and late arrivals to the new country? Can they also be angry and violent? What about the Cajuns in the south? For some time in the 30's, the French language was outlawed in schools an children were not allowed to use their native cajun dialect.
How about the European Jewish people that were killed, tortured, and beaten during the Holocaust?
I am not saying that Blacks should not be aware of their history, but they should be aware that they are not the only oppressed people. So far, the Native Americans are the only group of people I am aware of that are getting reparations. This opens up a whole other ball of wax but should it be that limited? Haven't many races been oppressed in some way or another?

Old 07-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoslg View Post
i have agreed with you many of your opinions until this one. I love Detroit. VIsit often and live just 3/4 north of the city. But to say that Blacks are justified in anger because of how they were treated is right? What about the Native Americans who were also forced from their homes. The Native Americans were rounded up, forced to live on reservations, women were raped, men were killed because they did not submit, and worst o fall, children were taken from their homes and families and sent to be Americanized. The idea being that if they did not learn the culture or language that the 'problem' of the Natives would go away. Or the Irish that were forced to live in one area because they were considered too poor and late arrivals to the new country? Can they also be angry and violent? What about the Cajuns in the south? For some time in the 30's, the French language was outlawed in schools an children were not allowed to use their native cajun dialect.
How about the European Jewish people that were killed, tortured, and beaten during the Holocaust?
I am not saying that Blacks should not be aware of their history, but they should be aware that they are not the only oppressed people. So far, the Native Americans are the only group of people I am aware of that are getting reparations. This opens up a whole other ball of wax but should it be that limited? Haven't many races been oppressed in some way or another?
I totally agree with this post, but we need to get back on topic everyone.

Why not move to Detroit?

Old 07-11-2007, 02:23 PM

34 posts, read 141,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I totally agree with this post, but we need to get back on topic everyone.

Why not move to Detroit?
i can speak for myself only as to why we don't move to detroit. the homes on the river are beautiful but not kids friendly. we want a large yard for our kids to play in. the new lofts and townhomes give us the same quandry. we often joke about how in 30 years our kids will live in the city and ask why we didn't buy in when it was cheaper!
there are some gorgeous homes around woodward just north of comerica park that are being revitalized. we have checked into those but they are some time off of our being able to live there.
our kids get excited when we visit "downtown city" as they call it. they want to park and walk around. maybe when they are grown and gone, we will live there - if our social security affords us!
i see that you are fairly new to michigan and detroit - Welcome!

Old 07-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoslg View Post
i can speak for myself only as to why we don't move to detroit. the homes on the river are beautiful but not kids friendly. we want a large yard for our kids to play in. the new lofts and townhomes give us the same quandry. we often joke about how in 30 years our kids will live in the city and ask why we didn't buy in when it was cheaper!
there are some gorgeous homes around woodward just north of comerica park that are being revitalized. we have checked into those but they are some time off of our being able to live there.
our kids get excited when we visit "downtown city" as they call it. they want to park and walk around. maybe when they are grown and gone, we will live there - if our social security affords us!
i see that you are fairly new to michigan and detroit - Welcome!
Thanks! Yeah, I have kids too so don't live there for the same reasons. We picked Royal Oak and really like it here.

My hope is that Detroit rebounds...along with the rest of the state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit