Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:55 PM

214 posts, read 1,061,212 times

Advertisements

illmatic I say detroit is hole most of the time cause it is damn. I ain`t like you guys man I dont make detroit to sound like its beautiful with piece of **** yuppies(which is a few anyways) moving there. I tell people of the real detroit not the fake stuff. Maybe one day it will come back and that would be great but it isn`t know or even close thats real honesty. As for inkster I never been there so I dont know.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 PM

225 posts, read 817,867 times
Quote:
Nearborn, I have been told more than once that both Ecorse and Inkster (or Nankin Towship as it was called before 1968) were developed by Henry Ford to house the black folks who worked at his GIGANTIC Rouge Plant in Dearborn.
I know why and by whom it was developed (That's developed not "founded"). What I want to know is how do you know it was a ghetto in the 1920's and 30's?. Pictures? Newspaper articles?

What would you have done if you were Henry Ford when the Rouge Plant was built? The only areas heavily occupied by blacks back then in Detroit was the Black Bottom area and a couple others. There is no way all the blacks coming to work for Ford would have fit into those already overcrowded, substandard areas. There were more blacks working for Ford then than the total black population of Detroit. Now show me how Henry Ford built a ghetto. Given Henry Ford's progressive (for the era) views on race relations, I highly doubt that he set out to design a ghetto, and I bet conditions were better for blacks in general in Inkster than they were in the Black Bottom area. Inkster became a ghetto AFTER Henry Ford's reign at the company he built.

Last edited by Nearborn; 08-07-2008 at 06:54 PM..

Old 08-08-2008, 04:19 AM

52 posts, read 270,096 times
as in the TRADITIONAL sense. ghettos aren't developed as, well, ghettos; that happens over time.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Nearborn,
How was Henry Ford progressive in race relations? Did not he publish anti-Jewish literature - such as The International Jew (or something like that)?

Old 08-09-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
How was Henry Ford progressive in race relations? Did not he publish anti-Jewish literature - such as The International Jew (or something like that)?
I was speaking of his ideas on race relations with blacks. I don't consider Jews to be members of a race other that white. I consider "Jewish" to be a religion and an ethic group. Not a race. And yes, Henry Ford was anti-Jew. I believe he wrote "The International Jew" and his "Dearborn Independant" magazine often had anti-Jewish articles. In fact, I believe he started Manufacturer's Bank so Ford money wouldn't have to be deposited in Jewish-run banks.

Nevertheless, he did have some progressive ideas regarding black/white relations. Compare what was going on with Ford Motor Company in the 1920's as far as job assignments and wage scales for blacks compared to whites. And then compare that with what was going on with other manufacturing companies in Detroit. Ford had way more blacks working jobs other than menial labor than the other manufacturers. And into the 1960's, Ford had more blacks in skilled trades and white collar positions than other manufacturers in Detroit.

As far as Inkster goes, it may have turned into a ghetto, but Henry Ford didn't build a ghetto if that's what you were getting at, but segregation was a fact of life back then (and now for all intents and purposes in Detroit) He pumped $500,000.00 into Inkster in the 20's. A huge sum at the time. And again, there were more blacks working for Ford than there were living in the City of Detroit at the time. They weren't all going to fit into the few areas were blacks lived in the 20's in Detroit. I can't say for sure, but I bet living conditions for blacks working for Ford and living in Inkster in the 20's were leaps and bounds above conditions for the average black resident of the Black Bottom area of Detroit at the same time.

Last edited by Nearborn; 08-09-2008 at 04:39 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 04:30 PM

301 posts, read 1,326,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic774 View Post
Its like Brightmoor South. And no, I'm not like this Johnson character who tells people how much of a hole Detroit is in every single one of his posts; i'm capable of being honest and rational.
Where is Brightmoor South?

Old 08-15-2008, 06:27 PM

I think he's saying Inkster is similar to Brightmoor, and since it's south of Brightmoor.......

Old 08-20-2008, 07:18 PM

74 posts, read 287,881 times
funny thing is that the Inkster borders especially with debo hights are clearly visable from google earth or any other satalite image program that shows the nicer kept houses againsts the abandod and burnt down ones in Inkster.

Inkster is THE definition of Ghetto. It is a landlocked depressed ethnic enclave surrounded by nicer, wealthier whiter cities.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 28,826 times
Default Racism

I made the mistake of buying the house I grew up in from my mother here in Inkster about 10 years ago. I have been trying to sell it for a couple years and recently took it off the market, because I realized houses in this city were going for less than half of what it is worth. The house sits on the best lot possible on a court, has a finished basement, 2.5 car garage, privacy fence around large backyard. I also put a new roof on house and garage, new furnace with central air, among tons of repairs and remodeling. The issue is 'location'. If my house was less than 1 mile down the street into Garden City, or even Westland, it would be worth more and livable. The city was fine when I was a kid, and wasn't even that bad 10 years ago... but now my kids can't leave our court without hearing "go back to yo hood whiteboy", and similar things, like kids on school buses yelling out racial slurs to anyone who is not black. It's quite obvious why this city is such a piece of crap. My family and I recently decided, to get out NOW. BTW: being poor is not a good excuse for crime and other excuses some people may use, it's understandable (not right) for a homeless bum to break in a house and steal something for food, but here, the thiefs and murders and rapists do it for fun, not because they have no money.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I realized houses in this city were going for less than half of what it is worth.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you can't sell your house, it's not worth twice the value of what you COULD sell it for. You might be better off taking what you can get or renting it. At least you can write off the losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit