Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:16 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
There's plenty of bombed out housing around that area from what I can see and singling out one good street doesn't change that fact. You may quibble with the characterization that the area is one of the worst ghettos in Detroit, but the area is obviously struggling a great deal. As much as I want Detroit to come back someday, lashing out at people for hyperbole won't change the fact that Detroit is a supremely messed up city right now.
Keep on heading south, and all those streets are equally as nice. There's a few rough pockets between Margaret and W Montana, but then when you head futher south, there's a well maintained community of beautiful craftsman and bungalow houses on Cedarhurst St. The next 3 blocks after Cedarhurst have a larger, yet slightly less maintained housing stock, and then there's 6 Mile. Trust me, maclock. I'm very familiar with that area. I take many trips down Robinwood to take pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,058 times
Link - Steel door, if you also zoom out you can see part of a rusty truck
Link - Steel door, nasty lawn, porch cover roof needs work
Link - Steel door, bad lawn

As you can see, Goldengate is still a ghetto street. People live there, that's at least credible.

Grixdale, Hildale and Greendale are mostly occupied but still ghetto. I'm pretty sure there's at least 4 houses on those blocks total that have bars on the windows (since when does that happen in Detroit?). Go south to Margaret & Savanna and it's all abandonment again.

South of Nevada is just back to the normal "North Side Detroit" ghetto again.

Don't forget that Chaldean Town (oddly not Chaldean anymore...) is just north of there too:

Link

Link
Link
Link

Old 09-21-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
Link - Steel door, if you also zoom out you can see part of a rusty truck
Link - Steel door, nasty lawn, porch cover roof needs work
Link - Steel door, bad lawn

As you can see, Goldengate is still a ghetto street. People live there, that's at least credible.

Grixdale, Hildale and Greendale are mostly occupied but still ghetto. I'm pretty sure there's at least 4 houses on those blocks total that have bars on the windows (since when does that happen in Detroit?). Go south to Margaret & Savanna and it's all abandonment again.

South of Nevada is just back to the normal "North Side Detroit" ghetto again.

Don't forget that Chaldean Town (oddly not Chaldean anymore...) is just north of there too:

Link

Link
Link
Link
I never said it was perfect, by any means whatsoever. You said that area is one of the worst outside of Brightmoor. It clearly is not. I can't tell what you mean by "I'm pretty sure there's at least 4 houses on those blocks total that have bars on the windows". To be honest, that's actually quite good for a block in Detroit.

I don't see the significance of the truck, however. You don't know who it belongs to. A painter or handyman coming by to do work on the house, maybe? And, directly behind the rusty truck is a shiny red Avalanche.

As for the house with the bad porch, once again, you don't know the situation. Ever stop and think the house belongs to an old woman who lives alone, and can't maintain the house that much?

And, finally, the house with the 'bad lawn'. This one really left me scratching my head. There's a few homes with lawns like that near my soon-to-be-former home. Does make that Macomb Township ghetto? Notice the bike in the driveway next door. In a real ghetto, that bike would NOT last 5 minutes laying out in the open like that. Also, I've never seen houses that large in 'the worst ghetto' of ANY city.

These three houses don't even come close to 'ghetto'. They are, at worst, slightly subpar. The area is full of large, beautiful and well-maintained homes. If THIS is your definition of ghetto, I understand why Royal Oak must be Hell on Earth for you.

Oh, and as for Chaldean Town, that's not the area you said was 'the worst ghetto outside of Brightmoor'. So, it's not relevant in this conversation. And, it is still fairly Chaldean, or still has a strong Chaldean influence to say the least. Take a drive down Seven Mile, and look at the business names there. Very strong Middle Eastern/Chaldean influence to this day.

And, just wondering, did you REALLY need to send me two separate links for two houses that are next door to each other?

Last edited by Remisc; 09-21-2010 at 06:14 PM..

Old 09-25-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
"I'm pretty sure there's at least 4 houses on those blocks total that have bars on the windows". To be honest, that's actually quite good for a block in Detroit.
The windows, man, the windows. Not the doors. No matter what neighborhood in Detroit you're in there's rarely ever bars on the windows of houses. Maybe factories or the first/second floor of apartments Downtown, but that's what you should expect of a highly populated area.

Next time you're in New York, take a drive through the Upper East/West Side. Notice all the BMWs, Mercedes-Benzes, Porsches.. people in suits with briefcases.. the brownstone gardens... just take it all in. Then stare at the first floor windows. Bars.

Then choose a less affluent suburban location. Long Beach for example. Somewhere that there's old vans and K-Cars everywhere. Look around. Bars gone? Good. They most likely will be.

Detroit may be an extremely dangerous, poor city; but bars on the windows just don't happen here in normal urban neighborhoods. But they do in places like the neighborhood we're discussing, Chaldean Town, Highland Park, Brightmoor, and all the other derelict places in Detroit.

Quote:
Also, I've never seen houses that large in 'the worst ghetto' of ANY city.
I'm just going to go out on a limb and assume you've never been down south then. There are plenty of huge, beautiful plantain/colonial/tudor style houses down south that are dragged straight down by the trailer next door and the unemployed-by-choice single mother that lives there with her 7 kids and drug addicted boyfriend.

Size doesn't matter in houses to begin with, tbh. Look at south Birmingham. Plenty of houses there are 600-900 square feet, have only one front window, and yet still sell for $200,000 and are inhabited by people who drive fancy cars and earn cash out the bum. The houses in that area aren't very big to begin with though, and there are plenty of houses in and around Detroit that are about the same size.

Quote:
or still has a strong Chaldean influence to say the least.
I agree it has a very strong Chaldean influence, but it is a black neighborhood by at least 60-70%.

Quote:
If THIS is your definition of ghetto, I understand why Royal Oak must be Hell on Earth for you.
If this isn't your definition of ghetto, I can understand why you would think there's nothing wrong with Royal Oak. The neighborhood as a whole is ghettos with second world slums inbetween. Even as bad of a city as Detroit is, it's just simply unacceptable. It's easier to count the number of normal screen doors as opposed to the ones with iron bars built in to stop burglars from smashing the crap out of your glass and pulling the locks. Every other block is filled with shelled houses with no windows, no doors, no furniture. Alot are even burnt out. Most of the houses still standing are boarded up. There's trash and filth everywhere. In between those blocks are probably some of the most paranoid people in Detroit. Afraid that their house or their block is next. If that's not ghetto to you, then I'd love to see you move to this neighborhood and walk it with minimal concerns like you would a normal American neighborhood.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
If this isn't your definition of ghetto, I can understand why you would think there's nothing wrong with Royal Oak. The neighborhood as a whole is ghettos with second world slums inbetween. Even as bad of a city as
Detroit is, it's just simply unacceptable. It's easier to count the number of normal screen doors as opposed to the ones with iron bars built in to stop burglars from smashing the crap out of your glass and pulling the locks. Every other block is filled with shelled houses with no windows, no doors, no furniture. Alot are even burnt out. Most of the houses still standing are boarded up. There's trash and filth everywhere. In between those blocks are probably some of the most paranoid people in Detroit. Afraid that their house or their block is next. If that's not ghetto to you, then I'd love to see you move to this neighborhood and walk it with minimal concerns like you would a normal American neighborhood.
What the hell are you talking about?

JS, either you're seeing things, or we're thinking of two separate areas. There's no really 'ghetto areas' that can rival Highland Park, NW Goldberg, or Brightmoor for a few blocks south of there. The nearest 'ghetto' street is W. Margaret, and while it is quite bad, it can't rival Detroit's worst.
W. Goldengate Street, Detroit, MI - Google Maps With the exception of this. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Show me 10 houses that are shelled, missing windows and doors, and burned out, or even boarded up, between the area in question, bordered by Greendale St W, W Goldengate, Charleston, and Woodward, please. Because the homes you showed me, which weren't even that bad, just didn't cut the mustard for me.

And, I HAVE walked that neighborhood, as little as 2 years ago, when my friend lived in there. Nothing happened. I have a wife and 6 children - 4 of which I still have to support. I would NEVER do anything that I felt to be unsafe.

Last edited by Remisc; 09-25-2010 at 08:22 PM..

Old 09-25-2010, 11:27 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
What the hell are you talking about?

JS, either you're seeing things, or we're thinking of two separate areas. There's no really 'ghetto areas' that can rival Highland Park, NW Goldberg, or Brightmoor for a few blocks south of there. The nearest 'ghetto' street is W. Margaret, and while it is quite bad, it can't rival Detroit's worst.
W. Goldengate Street, Detroit, MI - Google Maps With the exception of this. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Show me 10 houses that are shelled, missing windows and doors, and burned out, or even boarded up, between the area in question, bordered by Greendale St W, W Goldengate, Charleston, and Woodward, please. Because the homes you showed me, which weren't even that bad, just didn't cut the mustard for me.

And, I HAVE walked that neighborhood, as little as 2 years ago, when my friend lived in there. Nothing happened. I have a wife and 6 children - 4 of which I still have to support. I would NEVER do anything that I felt to be unsafe.

Why don't we look at the street just north of the northern boundary for the area that you have defined? It appears to be a disaster zone. By way of illustration, see the following addresses:

(1) 466 W Robinwood St, Detroit; and

(2) 548 W Robinwood St, Detroit.

Use your mouse to do a 360 degree panoramic view for full effect.

Last edited by maclock; 09-25-2010 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: Edited to go directly to street view.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Why don't we look at the street just north of the northern boundary for the area that you have defined? It appears to be a disaster zone. By way of illustration, see the following addresses:

(1) 466 W Robinwood St, Detroit; and

(2) 548 W Robinwood St, Detroit.

Use your mouse to do a 360 degree panoramic view for full effect.

Yes maclock, both me and JS are aware of that area. Especially me - my cousin Jeanine lived on the 500 Block of W. Robinwood until 2002.

However he/she claims that the area on the blocks south of W Robinwood is one of Detroit's worst ghettos, and that's simply not true. I've been in that area countless times, and I've never, ever had a problem.

Last edited by Remisc; 09-26-2010 at 10:07 AM..

Old 09-26-2010, 10:49 AM

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute. Charleston?? If that's your definition of this pocket of "well kept streets" you're talking about, then I agree with you. But that little chunk isn't "the neighborhood". That's like saying south Hazel Park is just as good as north Birmingham because of the courts. The "neighborhood" is Seven Mile to Nevada, Woodward to the Railway.

Plus, there's a whole lot more to a ghetto than just 'bombed' out or boarded up houses. Ever notice that people in decent neighborhoods have screen doors and normal lawns? Or that there aren't giant chunks of vacant uncut land in between every few houses?

I certainly can't provide you pictures of blights in your little area of perfection, but I can provide more than 10 on those streets elsewhere in the neighborhood.

Link - A couple of boarded up houses on Goldengate.
Link - A house with bars on the windows and what could possibly be an eviction notice on the door. Scroll to the house next door and there is grafitti along the supporting beams of the porch roof
Link - Bars on the windows, inside the screen door windows as well
Link - More bars on the windows.
Link - What a surprise, bars on the windows.
Link - Cars on the lawn with an open driveway right next to them
Link - Boarded up house with overgrown vines
Link - Just off of the top of your head, how many offences do you think a Code Officer could cite this house for? I don't doubt they have rats...
Link - More bars. Play with the view a little on this one. The lawn's in need of mowing, there's grafitti on the garage, and the neighbors' fence is broken
Link - Here's one that actually is west of Charleston. It's not that big of a deal but the garage is in pretty bad shape.
Link - This guy missed the driveway by a couple inches... or yards...
Link - At least the community art scene is thriving
Link - Free stuff!
Link - That's one sexy ride you got there, bro.
Link - Their faces might be blurred but it's more than obvious what these people are looking at. Scroll to the right and zoom in and there's also a shelled Cadillac in the back yard of the house next door.
Link - This couple is making the right decision in moving out. Hopefully the house across the street from them in their new neighborhood doesn't look like this.
Link - This is why the street is called Hollywood, because it looks like a scene out of a war film.
Link - If the owners of this house went to jail, it wouldn't be the first time they were behind bars. I bet their neighbors know the feeling.
Link - Hard to tell if this was from a break-in or gunshots...
Link - If these are well kept homes, then everyone's aspiration in life should be to live in a trailer park.
Link - I pity the people who live on the bottom floor of this house.
Link - Belle Tire! and if you zoom in, you can see past the boards that there are bars on this house's window too.

That's just a taste my friend.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Whoa, whoa, wait a minute. Charleston?? If that's your definition of this pocket of "well kept streets" you're talking about, then I agree with you. But that little chunk isn't "the neighborhood". That's like saying south Hazel Park is just as good as north Birmingham because of the courts. The "neighborhood" is Seven Mile to Nevada, Woodward to the Railway.

Plus, there's a whole lot more to a ghetto than just 'bombed' out or boarded up houses. Ever notice that people in decent neighborhoods have screen doors and normal lawns? Or that there aren't giant chunks of vacant uncut land in between every few houses?

I certainly can't provide you pictures of blights in your little area of perfection, but I can provide more than 10 on those streets elsewhere in the neighborhood.

Link - A couple of boarded up houses on Goldengate.
Link - A house with bars on the windows and what could possibly be an eviction notice on the door. Scroll to the house next door and there is grafitti along the supporting beams of the porch roof
Link - Bars on the windows, inside the screen door windows as well
Link - More bars on the windows.
Link - What a surprise, bars on the windows.
Link - Cars on the lawn with an open driveway right next to them
Link - Boarded up house with overgrown vines
Link - Just off of the top of your head, how many offences do you think a Code Officer could cite this house for? I don't doubt they have rats...
Link - More bars. Play with the view a little on this one. The lawn's in need of mowing, there's grafitti on the garage, and the neighbors' fence is broken
Link - Here's one that actually is west of Charleston. It's not that big of a deal but the garage is in pretty bad shape.
Link - This guy missed the driveway by a couple inches... or yards...
Link - At least the community art scene is thriving
Link - Free stuff!
Link - That's one sexy ride you got there, bro.
Link - Their faces might be blurred but it's more than obvious what these people are looking at. Scroll to the right and zoom in and there's also a shelled Cadillac in the back yard of the house next door.
Link - This couple is making the right decision in moving out. Hopefully the house across the street from them in their new neighborhood doesn't look like this.
Link - This is why the street is called Hollywood, because it looks like a scene out of a war film.
Link - If the owners of this house went to jail, it wouldn't be the first time they were behind bars. I bet their neighbors know the feeling.
Link - Hard to tell if this was from a break-in or gunshots...
Link - If these are well kept homes, then everyone's aspiration in life should be to live in a trailer park.
Link - I pity the people who live on the bottom floor of this house.
Link - Belle Tire! and if you zoom in, you can see past the boards that there are bars on this house's window too.

That's just a taste my friend.
Sure, a good amount of those houses are pretty bad, but a majority of your pictures are just lawncars and barred doors and windows, but I admire your determination.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at in that one image though, it looks like the woman dropped a piece of paper and is bending down to pick it up...

While the area is alot worse than I remember it from a few years ago, I still don't think it's one of Detroit's worse, not by a longshot.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at in that one image though, it looks like the woman dropped a piece of paper and is bending down to pick it up...
Huh, I didn't notice that. What it looked like to me was that the piece of paper was just another part of the garbage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit