U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-16-2010, 08:12 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,434,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
if you are an AA, with a city gov't way in your favor, and living in low-priced neighborhoods with large houses and family members all over....why make a move into some sterile little single-story rancher house in the middle of some suburb without any family members and friends around, etc.
Ummm, so you don't get caught in the crossfire of a drive by shooting?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 AM

937 posts, read 1,923,535 times
You're all wrong. Its whitey keeping them down. Gosh, don't you guys get ANYTHING right?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 AM

4,213 posts, read 2,723,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
African Americans have moved to:

SOUTHFIELD
TAYLOR
DEARBORN HEIGHTS
VAN BUREN TOWNSHIP
ROMULUS
GARDEN CITY
WAYNE
WESTLAND

except for the wonder bread place, AA have moved about the area as they wish.

They are still exiting DETROIT in records numbers...

Yes…and there are white people in the City of Detroit…..duhhhhhh. The question is why are not white people in the city of Detroit in percentages that reflect the percentage white population of South Eastern Michigan? The question is why are not blacks in the suburban cities that reflect their percentages in Southeaster Michigan. The question is NOT, for those who seek clarification and not obfuscation; “are there any blacks in various suburbs and or are there any whites in Detroit”.

Blacks have been in this nation 300 years. We have been here as long as or longer than the English, the German, the Polish, the Irish, the Italians, and the Dutch….etc. Were are the communities in SE Michigan were 80% of the Irish live or where 80% of the Germans live or where 80% of the Polish live. Did the Irish just want to live around the Irish? Did the Italians just want to live around Italians? Did the Polish just want to live around the Polish? Evidently they did not. Thus, why do 80% of the blacks who live in SE Michigan live in the City of Detroit, which itself is about 85-90% black? Answer: Racism.

Touché

Blacks are existing Detroit in record number....and in turn....whites are exiting the places they move to in record numbers as well. So whats your point? The beat goes on.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes…and there are white people in the City of Detroit…..duhhhhhh. The question is why are not white people in the city of Detroit in percentages that reflect the percentage white population of South Eastern Michigan? The question is why are not blacks in the suburban cities that reflect their percentages in Southeaster Michigan. The question is NOT, for those who seek clarification and not obfuscation; “are there any blacks in various suburbs and or are there any whites in Detroit”.

Blacks have been in this nation 300 years. We have been here as long as or longer than the English, the German, the Polish, the Irish, the Italians, and the Dutch….etc. Were are the communities in SE Michigan were 80% of the Irish live or where 80% of the Germans live or where 80% of the Polish live. Did the Irish just want to live around the Irish? Did the Italians just want to live around Italians? Did the Polish just want to live around the Polish? Evidently they did not. Thus, why do 80% of the blacks who live in SE Michigan live in the City of Detroit, which itself is about 85-90% black? Answer: Racism.

Touché

Blacks are existing Detroit in record number....and in turn....whites are exiting the places they move to in record numbers as well. So whats your point? The beat goes on.
Since your answer for everything is racism, I think you've fulfilled your role here. Once you think OUTSIDE of the box, where you can't blame racism for every occurance, then come back and post.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:45 AM

4,213 posts, read 2,723,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Since your answer for everything is racism, I think you've fulfilled your role here. Once you think OUTSIDE of the box, where you can't blame racism for every occurance, then come back and post.
Well...maybe it offers a balance to the belief that NONE of this issue is related to racism. You and those like you have always made THAT point. So I invite you to come back when you can think outside that box...and we can have a jolly ole time.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:32 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,964,777 times
Quote:
Indentured Servant;13714306] real American history to make the point that blacks always continued to seek to integrate with whites....even after CENTURIES of whites denigrating our humanity, treating us as inferior, lynchings, rapes, vandalizm all to intimidate black people.....yet....we continued to integrate with whites and it was whites who sicked dogs on blacks, shouted racial slurs as blacks sought an integrated education, killed blacks for whistling at white girls.
I'm going rep you for this. So true

Old 04-16-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Tiger Beer;13719137]Well, if it makes you feel any better..there were an enormous amount of irish vs italian garbage going on back in those days of NYC and Boston as well, etc. There were also protestant vs catholic everywhere as well, etc., on and on. There was also 'American' (i.e. people who'd been there a few generations) against 'immigrant' (which were thought to be pure dirt)., etc.
While that is true to an extent, you know what they share in common? They're both European nationalities and apparently white. Yeah there were bigotry between Irish and Italians, but many have settled their differences and integrated into each other neighborhoods, intermarriages, and assimilated into whiteness. In Chicago and most places in America, you're not going to find any 75-100% Irish or Italian neighborhoods, cities, or towns.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
"and the" wrote:

"If your "vast majority" is over 60 percent, you're not driving through the same Detroit I am. Either that or our ideas of "keep up" differ."

Let's be real, sir. The vast majority of dilapidated houses (not owned by the government) are owned by suburbanites (either black or white, but mostly white) who rent them out. Most only care about making money on the rent, they are not going to make the house look really nice. Its an investment insomuch as to collect rent, not to re-sell it, so upkeep is not a priority.

It just does not make sense for a homeowner-occupier to pay all that money for a house and pay property taxes and not keep the value of the property up for re-sell in the future.

Also, you stated earlier:
"Because I don't live in Appalachia, I live just outside of Detroit, after fleeing Detroit like my ancestors fled Appalachia."

You are trying to equate the exodus from Appalaphia to the exodus from Detroit, but they are NOT analogous. I don't know your family history, but your ancestors probably left Appalachia to find work in the factories in Detroit. I doubt you fled Detroit to find a job. (But it's a free country, you can live where you want to live).

"and the" also stated:
"The race of people who don't take the initiative to improve their lot despite haveing the ability to do so is incidental to the fact that the reason the place is a pit is because so many people of the same philosophy and lack of values live in the same area. It's getting old, and it's getting more and more generational."

Maybe the reason the place is a pit is because so many people of the DIFFERING philosophy did not have the balls to stay and fight the decline. So what, a few blacks moved in. That doesn't mean that everybody has to BAIL! If those first few blacks could afford to buy in your neighborhood, then they most likely are going to be good responsible neighbors. But if all the whites now start bailing, resulting in plummeting of property values, then lower income blacks (and whites) and renters are going to move in.

From what I've read, it seems that you stayed in Detroit long after the decline began. You should be commended. Maybe instead of getting mad at the lower class people who moved into your neighborhood, you should be mad at the "responsible", middle class folk who bailed and left good people like you an ever-shrinking minority in your 'hood. THEY ARE THE ONES WHO SET THE DECLINE IN MOTION, in my opinion.
Great post. You are one of the few who understand how many neighborhoods go down the hill.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 28 days ago)

31,877 posts, read 37,849,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well...maybe it offers a balance to the belief that NONE of this issue is related to racism. You and those like you have always made THAT point. So I invite you to come back when you can think outside that box...and we can have a jolly ole time.
Sad, but so true.......It's almost like a dream that never really happened to some.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 PM

You're implying its mainly caused by racism. Not true. You imply that I, and others like me (whites?) think that NONE of it is racism. Sure, some may be, but its not as big as you think it is. If you want to coinhabit, thats fine, just leave the Detroit mentality at the 8 mile border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit