Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 12:36 PM
s3heBbxN

n/a posts

Advertisements

I'm just curious. Why is there very little race diversity and about 10% of Detroit is White/Caucasian? Is it really cheap? I know a lot of cars are built in Detroit and I think would any other races besides Black or White would be unwelcomed and treated very badly? I saw on some of the threads that a lot of people there are racist. Sounds like it! What's the main reason why there are SO many African Americans in Detroit?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 12:43 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,536 times
white flight started here in the 50s and 60s like in a lot of US cities. This was sped up by a race riot and a racist black mayor, Coleman Young. Put that together with 30 years of decline and you have Detroit.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:10 PM

734 posts, read 2,616,641 times
Just so you could ask.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 PM

225 posts, read 817,867 times
Quote:
Why is Detroit About 80% African American?
Because those pesky 20% European-Americans and Mexican-Americans won't leave!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:27 PM

93,176 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Keep in mind that Detriot has always had an above average Black percentage for a northern city. Actually in 1970, Detroit was 45% Black, which is still high for a Northern city even today. So, with that on top of the other factors that others have brought up, that's why it's Black population percentage is so high.

Also, industries like the auto and steel industries, among others, encouraged many Black people to take work in such industries. If you look at any city or town that had those industries, you would see a high Black population percentage, regardless of how big or small the community was.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Personally, being raised here all my life, I didn't know it was any different than any big metro area.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 AM

262 posts, read 787,918 times
Watch this video and you'll understand why Detroit is 80% black and 3% white and 17% other races

YouTube - Response to Obama, 7: Liberals and the fall of Detroit maybe then you'll see why the whites moved out toa school system where their kids would get the Education to make it in the World, why is it Detroit schools are so screwed up, Cause the Teachers only care about one thing, "A PAY CHECK"
Well now that Cheeks Kilpatrick is going back to Congress, Do you think anything will ever change for the better? It ain't gonna happen with these type of Elected Officals. Real Shady I would ask for a RECOUNT. Don't Trust anyone with the name Kilpatrick.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 AM

866 posts, read 4,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake85 View Post
I'm just curious. Why is there very little race diversity and about 10% of Detroit is White/Caucasian? Is it really cheap? I know a lot of cars are built in Detroit and I think would any other races besides Black or White would be unwelcomed and treated very badly? I saw on some of the threads that a lot of people there are racist. Sounds like it! What's the main reason why there are SO many African Americans in Detroit?
*Yes Detroit is very cheap you can buy up property like candy bars, it has basically hit an all time low currently because of the nation wide housing slump.

*Actually there are not to many cars built in Detroit proper anymore. I believe the only plants in the city are the Jefferson East Plant (Chrysler) which builds Jeeps. And the Hamtramck-Detroit Plant (GM) which is not all in the City of Detroit, but builds Cadillacs and Buicks. Most of the plants have all been moved to the suburbs along time ago. And the city plants are all empty or torn down.

*I believe that if a white person moved to the city you may be looked at twice. But this would never happen, even black people are not moving into Detroit so why would white people? The only reason why the black population is growing in the city is because the white people are still shrinking every census. They are parts of Detroit on the Southwest side that are heavally Hispanic, mostly Mexican-Americans. But I believe that they only make up 5% of the entire population.

*I don't think that many of the white people in the suburbs are big time racists, they just want the safest area to live in, especially if you have children. And everyone knows that Detroit's neighborhoods are very dangerous. So know one wants to live there, no race at all.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 PM

422 posts, read 758,341 times
Sounds like a liar from California. You think those progressive, liberal white people from California like living amongst minorities? Yeah right. California has more segregated neighborhoods than anywhere else in the country.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:40 PM

93,176 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Detroit ia about 10% White as of 2006 census info. Most are on the SW side with HS's like Chadsey, Western International and somewhat Southwestern high having decent to small, but noticable amounts of White students. A couple of the other HS's might have about a 2% White student population like Cass Tech or Renaissance. I think there might even be a couple of elementary schools in the city of Detroit that are actually predominately White even now. Osborn and Northern had decent amounts of Asian students as well. You can check out information here: Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries

Detroit City School District schools, Detroit - MI: charter and public schools. Detroit school district - Detroit MI school district
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit