Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:47 PM

156 posts, read 467,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedtoleavemichigan View Post
I've lived in the Detroit Metro area my entire life, and I don't like it at all. The only good aspects of Michigan arebgood sports teams, a nice, yet very small section of Detroit <Greektown-Ford Field-Comerica area>, and nice lakes. Other than that, I hate Michigan. The sun almost never shines, the weather is cold and snowy, the economy is terrible (can't find a job to save my life), the roads are disasterous, and the lakes are only enjoyable 3 months out of the year, so long as it isn't raining or storming. My advice? If you already moved here, then LEAVE. If you plan on moving here, then DON'T! Just being honest.
I agree wholeheartedly, I have not been here a whole year and it is time to leave already!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,877 times
I would love to love to move there. Is it that bad?

I really want to move to the new city that will arise out of the slums. Can't the entire city be that bad. East side is the bad and the west is the good side?
Do black people live in Indian Park?

Last edited by Yac; 07-08-2009 at 02:09 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 02:58 AM

6 posts, read 15,263 times
RedWingsFan Eminem is from a trailer park in 8 mile. Is that considered to be the suburbs, in Detroit? I hardly think so.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:01 AM

6 posts, read 15,263 times
Rossetes1 are you black?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 AM

32 posts, read 51,092 times
Hi I was just reading your post about leaving Toronto and moving to Detroit! We currently live in the PNW and it looks like my husband will be taking a job in Detroit. He has an opportunity we really can"t refuse being that his current co. is laying off!

I would love to hear how things are going the neighborhood you chose to live in. We do not have any children we are empty Nester but I love to work out, hike, bike etc.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate anything you have to offer.
S

Old 11-23-2010, 09:52 AM

758 posts, read 1,953,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosettes1 View Post
I would love to love to move there. Is it that bad?

I really want to move to the new city that will arise out of the slums. Can't the entire city be that bad. East side is the bad and the west is the good side?
Do black people live in Indian Park?
Are you referring to Indian Village?

Indian Village area is easily 80%-90% black, so yes, certainly black people live there. Not too many other folks live there, thought.

The West Side of Detroit is, on the whole, a bit better than the East Side, but there are many decent East Side neighborhoods and terrible West Side neighborhoods. It really goes by neighborhood rather than East Side vs. West Side.

The one thing I will say about the bad areas on the East Side is that they are generally more bombed-out.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,066,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shisha7 View Post
RedWingsFan Eminem is from a trailer park in 8 mile. Is that considered to be the suburbs, in Detroit? I hardly think so.

I do not recall Marshall living in the city limits of Detroit when he was growing up..if ever??

Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,403,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimashan View Post
Hi I was just reading your post about leaving Toronto and moving to Detroit! We currently live in the PNW and it looks like my husband will be taking a job in Detroit. He has an opportunity we really can"t refuse being that his current co. is laying off!

I would love to hear how things are going the neighborhood you chose to live in. We do not have any children we are empty Nester but I love to work out, hike, bike etc.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate anything you have to offer.
S

If you want the urban lifestyle, then your choices are pretty much Downtown (including mid-town, corktown etc), Royal Oak/Ferndale or Ann Arbor. However the Detroit area is filled with fabulous suburbs which vary in their types but are consistent in that most of them are very nice examples of their type. You can find rural, semi-rural, suburban, small town, lakeside, (riverfront), old/historic, new/modern, dense or spread out. . . pretty much anything that you want. Where in Detroit will you be? Detroit is a big area (140 sq miles for the city alone). Add in the metro area and you have a big geographic area. You will probably not want to be more than 30 miles from work, so where he will work will determine what areas you should consider. Once you know where he is working, then you need to determine the type of area that you seek. Some really nice areas are heavily populated by the newly wealthy and threfore ted to have a bit of snobby and/or keep up withthe joneses atmosphere. Other areas are very blue collar (even hick ish). Some areas are a mix. Some are strictly middle class (no upper middle or wealthy people). THen there is the atosphere. Do you want a place with an identity (i.e. a downtown or other community focal point), or are you happy in a place that is a collection of subdivisions? Schools matter? Do you want ot see deer and foxes and eagles in your backyard, or do you want a small tidy yard that looks just like your neighbor's? Are you llooing to live on an acre, a farm, or a small lot? Do you want water access? How much does traffic bother you? It is important to you to be near the airport? Near Ann Arbor? Near a mall?

If you cna provide some of this type of information, then people gave give you more meaningful suggestions.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 AM

32 posts, read 51,092 times
Looking forward to the move and thanks for all the points will be def. adding to the Pro side of my list[/quote]

So how do you like it and what neighborhood did you end up moving to?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:43 AM

758 posts, read 1,953,517 times
Birmingham is another urban option.

One could argue it is functionally more urban than Royal Oak or Ferndale, or even Detroit.

Birmingham is the only one of these cities with non-subsidized downtown development going on right now, and is extremely vibrant at night, really moreso than any of these places (mostly due to two large multiplexes and a ton of restaurants).

Really only Birmingham has a vibrant core with apartment living. This also exists in Detroit and Royal Oak, but is much more sporadic.

The problem with Birmingham, though, is that it is somewhat snobby in parts, and expensive for Metro Detroit standards.

And if you'er looking for hard core urban grit, Birmingham would be a terrible choice. Look in Detroit Midtown for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit