Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:52 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

Where are most Asians in the Detroit Metro Area?

I was browsing sperling's best places, and saw TROY now has 17% Asian population, way up from the 2000 census. Has anyone noticed that?

Dearborn has a large arabic population.

Where else? Any other significant demographic changes that are Asian-oriented in the Detroit area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 11:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
im 1/2 asian got family in detroit area. if i was there i would be hiding. i see detroit falling short of disneyland.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:12 PM

866 posts, read 4,256,983 times
Well, for sure Troy. Also in the past 10 years or so the City of Novi has seen a huge increase in Asian residents. Chinese, Korean, and other types of Asian restaurants have been opening like crazy in Novi, the city even has its own Asian Market that opened last year on Novi Road. I have observed that with all of the new Asian people moving into Novi the home values of the city have not totally fell like other neighboring Cities such as Northville and South Lyon. I don't know if that has something to do with that or not.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:15 PM

866 posts, read 4,256,983 times
Troy - For sure the highest

Novi - I would guess second in Asian population

Bloomfields - Are up there

Farmington Hills - Numbers like the Bloomfields

Old 10-06-2008, 11:49 PM

98 posts, read 480,847 times
There are about 7,000 Hmongs in the Detroit metro area mostly in northeast Detroit, South Warren and Pontiac. There's also some Laotions on the eastside of Detroit. The Vietnamese are in Troy and Sterling Heights. There's also a signifacant Vietnamese population in Grand Rapids, too.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:15 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkue View Post
There are about 7,000 Hmongs in the Detroit metro area mostly in northeast Detroit, South Warren and Pontiac. There's also some Laotions on the eastside of Detroit. The Vietnamese are in Troy and Sterling Heights. There's also a signifacant Vietnamese population in Grand Rapids, too.
i dont know what/who a hmong person is(trying not to sound racist), but in the summer on saturday and sunday at the park on stephens west of mound there are tons of asain people each week. like over 100, they are just about the only people at the park and the park is really small(just a basketball court a field and a couple climbing things) usually you would never see more than 20 people at that park at a time(to see more than 5 is rare) i hope that helps. sorry if i sounded racist trying to explain the whole hmong thing.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:16 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,223 times
a hundred might be excessive, but a lot

Old 01-02-2009, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 36,361 times
Post Chinese businesses & Chinatowns?

The Chinese Association of Greater Detroit (which is based in Troy) has a helpful list of Chinese businesses in the area. This might be a good proxy for where Chinese people live -- in addition to Troy, it looks like Madison Heights and Ann Arbor have decent clusters of Chinese-owned businesses.

You can search the listings by category here: Business Search (http://cagd.org/searchbycategory.asp - broken link)

Is there anything resembling a Chinatown in the metro Detroit area?

Old 01-03-2009, 03:37 PM

98 posts, read 480,847 times
renter8319, those are hmongs and I know that area stephens park in warren. Have you seen that Clint Eastwood movie gran torino it's about Hmong gangs in Detroit.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:03 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
i dont know what/who a hmong person is(trying not to sound racist)...
My understanding is that the Hmongs were Laotian mountain people, poor farmers, who ended up siding with the U.S. during the Vietnam War. When the war was over many ended up getting displaced and/or persecuted and ended up in refugee camps; that's why so many have been allowed to immigrate here. As far as I know the largest concentration of them can be found in Minnesota, specifically St. Paul. I think the Lutherans were large sponsors of them. A common Hmong last name is Nguyen (pronouned "New-en", I think).

You could learn a lot more by posting a question at the Minnesota Twin Cities forum and might even be able to find other threads about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit