U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 8,671 times

Advertisements

Having worked all over Detroit for the Postal Service, the only area I would consider buying a house in is Palmer Woods. However, I couldn't afford the taxes on any home I bought there.

Brightmoor (7 mile & Telegraph) is probably the worst, followed closely by Highland Park and the New Center area. The lower east side and Hamtramck have devolved to many completely vacant blocks.

The block I grew up on, on the east side, has no houses left on it. In fact there's probably only ten houses within a five block area.

Short of hiring a WELL armed guard, any house you try to fix up will be stripped within a week. My nephew tried with five houses and only managed to get three fixed enough to rent. Within months the renters quit paying and stripped the houses on the way out.

If you want a summer vacation home, look in northern Michigan. There's plenty of vacation homes for sale by the laid off auto workers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 05:07 PM

186 posts, read 405,870 times
Did it ever occur to anyone that the newer sub divisions in suburban areas are not built like they area and Detroit. Whta I'm saying is although they're nice houses their not built to last, they're built to burn.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 9,139 times
The Villages of Detroit (near East Side, almost downtowm) has some great places to live as well, there are active nonprofit community development corporations and neghbohood assocation that are constantly working to improve the neighbohood. The Neighbohoods Includes Inidan Village, West Village, the Berry Sub, Island View, East Village and the Gold Cost Towers along the River.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 AM

7,698 posts, read 10,494,822 times
[quote=HiYoSilver2;8203056]Having worked all over Detroit for the Postal Service, .....
Brightmoor (7 mile & Telegraph) is probably the worst, followed closely by Highland Park and the New Center area. The lower east side and Hamtramck have devolved to many completely vacant blocks....

The block I grew up on, on the east side, has no houses left on it. In fact there's probably only ten houses within a five block area.

quote]

HEY...why dis on my hood? I love Brightmore...wanna buy a house cheap?

Seriously, 6 years ago when my wife and I bought our home(which we love greatly) we also BOUGHT into the REVIVAL of Detroit and thought a FRESH young attitude would bring LIFE back to the city...look at the ex-mayor now...

Well...seems that the people who told us we were CRAZY (we have since become on of them) were RIGHT.

They told us Detroit has been on verge of REVIVAL since the late 1950s...

May be if there had been more people telling us this we would have thought twice?

Probably not...but we will say IF you think it will change with YOU...be prepared just in case the 5% chance of success DOES NOT pay off...

Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,466 times
Certain territories in Southwest Detroit are pretty jacked up. The old Delray neighborhood houses a small residential population, but polluted industrial sites dominate most of the area. Other buildings that are scattered around the city are abandoned. A short cut driving or catching a city bus through this area is not wise afterhours, due to the scarce population, and limited street lighting at night. Another forbidden hood in Southwest Detroit, is legendarily, called the "Hole". This territory is bordered around I-75, and Schafer Rd. Take a drive through this area during the day hours ONLY. Trust me, you do not want to be the next victim. The dealers run this neighborhood with an iron fist ! (suspicion will only arouse their paranoia) Recently, there have been quite a few bodies ( female) that were discovered in some of the abandoned homes. As a matter of fact this area, is sadly known for a human dumping ground. The last block of Liddesdale, is the WORST block that the "hole" has to offer. Every single home on this block is abandoned. There are mattresses, old couches, and even a couple of shopping carts, in the middle of the block. As a matter of fact, I believe that these homes are schelduled to be demolished soon. However, there are some very decent people that live there, who have very nice homes, its just some of the last blocks that have gone to ruins. This area of Southwest, also has an active industrial flow, just like Delray.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM

968 posts, read 1,742,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeD97 View Post
Another forbidden hood in Southwest Detroit, is legendarily, called the "Hole". This territory is bordered around I-75, and Schafer Rd. Take a drive through this area during the day hours ONLY. Trust me, you do not want to be the next victim. The dealers run this neighborhood with an iron fist ! (suspicion will only arouse their paranoia) Recently, there have been quite a few bodies ( female) that were discovered in some of the abandoned homes. As a matter of fact this area, is sadly known for a human dumping ground. The last block of Liddesdale, is the WORST block that the "hole" has to offer. Every single home on this block is abandoned. There are mattresses, old couches, and even a couple of shopping carts, in the middle of the block.
S Liddesdale St. - Google Maps

Ok, here's the ever-so-horrid last block of Liddesdale. Hell, Arden Park has more abandoned buildings than this. Will somebody please tell me what's wrong with this area? Your statement is just another example of ignorant fear-mongering that gives Detroit a bad name.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 10,020 times
anywhere on waverny on the eastside.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 PM

7 posts, read 21,917 times
schoolcraft and southfield

Old 06-14-2010, 01:17 AM

333 posts, read 674,618 times
Brightmoor is probably the worst, followed by Highland Park, Chaldean Town and State Fair.

Then going up into the suburbs there's always Royal Oak Township, Center Line and Roseville. Not exactly ghetto to inner-city Detroit standards, but still pretty bad.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:06 AM

1,887 posts, read 2,830,138 times
Inkster, south Warren, and sections of Clinton Township and Mount Clemens before Center Line and Roachville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit