U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-25-2008, 12:00 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,288,065 times
Default What are the WORST Detroit Neighborhoods?

What are the one or two areas that you would not want to visit or live in?

DON"T BOTHER using this thread to vent that you wouldn't live anywhere in the city- that's not helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-25-2008, 05:17 PM

14 posts, read 126,289 times
Highland Park

Unread 11-25-2008, 07:19 PM

22 posts, read 151,968 times
Highland Park or Hamtramck. In general, if a traveler is not familiar with the big "D", it would be recommended if they did not take an exit where I-75 and I-94 meet. Also I-75 and the Davison freeway, these are 2 exits a person may not enjoy getting lost at. Approximately a 5 or 6 mile radius of these 2 exits are for those whom feel comfortable with inner city suroundings. A little too rough and scary for my taste, although I did some work around that area in my 20's.

Last edited by Blue water lake; 11-25-2008 at 07:32 PM..

Unread 11-25-2008, 08:56 PM

OK thanks I found a site called detroityes.com where I also placed this thread and it has more locals than city-data - free of course.

From what you two are saying is the area WEST of woodward ok? I also always ask about Joseph Barry Subdivision the area right east of say the Mayor's mansion but most don't know it.

Unread 11-25-2008, 09:12 PM

530 posts, read 817,955 times
Ocean,

What is your goal - what are you looking for?

Some areas of Detroit is vacant field, with an occupied house or two sprinkled about. Living in those conditions would be bizarre.

Then you have the run of the mill crack 'Hoods.

Etc.....

I actually found a few decent "Neighborhoods" in Detroit.

If you want to be raped or mugged, etc. Look here:

Crime Statistics

Thank you for visiting the Detroit Police Departmentís new interactive online crime mapping system, CrimeView Community.

Crime Statistics | Police Department | City of Detroit Departments | www.detroitmi.gov

Last edited by fmax; 11-25-2008 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Format

Unread 11-26-2008, 06:57 AM

thanks max - I was thinking of buying one of those old and somewhat cheap "mansions" for sale.

I thought I might monitor them now and when they get cheaper as I'm almost certain they will, perhaps take the plunge and have a summer home. Its just an idea- I am short on funds due to the recent financial collapse but its fun to go window shopping.

I love Rockport Texas but it is hot in the summer time and a change might be nice.

I think Detroit is fascinating architecturally . The taxes are outrageous though.

Unread 11-26-2008, 10:24 AM

530 posts, read 817,955 times
Ocean,

We're are all thinking like you.

I was Mansion Shopping over the Summer.

There are a lot of Problems with the concept. Did you have any areas in mind?

I was shopping the Boston Edison District -

Historic Homes for Sale: Boston Edison Neighborhood

Unread 11-26-2008, 02:44 PM

214 posts, read 714,878 times
Rosa Parks blvd and Chene st come to mind as very bad neighborhoods.

But if you want to see some bad detroit hoods search for these youtube videos.

Detroit: Living in Fear. Third World America.
A day in the life of a Detroit gigolo
A Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto
A Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto: Part 2 (Dec. 2006)
A Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto: Part 3 (Dec. 2007)

Sorry guys I wish I could`ve offered a link instead of the name but I don`t know how to do that.

Unread 11-26-2008, 08:42 PM

274 posts, read 592,151 times
The neighborhoods east of Joseph Barry consists of a 110-acre park/water treatment plant that is no longer open to the public, some blocks of shoddy houses/two-family flats, a new suburban style single-family housing development called "Jefferson Village" (cheaply built, characterless housing), some more shoddy blocks, then two new single-family suburban single-family developments - Morgan Creek Estates & Victoria Park, some (sort of) nicely maintained older housing blocks, the Fisher Mansion, Greyhaven Island and several riverfront parks.

To the northeast, is depressed urban decay.

SOME architectural highlights include:

Waterworks Park
detnews.com | Michigan History

Hurlbut Memorial Gate
Untitled Document (http://detroit1701.org/Hurlbut.htm - broken link)

Vanity Ballroom
The Vanity Ballroom

Fisher Mansion
Untitled Document

Pewabic Tile/Pottery
Pewabic Pottery - Museum and Education Center

THE WESTSIDE is much too massive to make a sweeping generalization. There are some very nice neighborhoods, ranging from modest houses to the historic districts, the most well-known being Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, and Rosedale Park.

My favorite historic hoods are Oakman Boulevard,
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/historic...akman_blvd.pdf

and Russell Woods-Sullivan
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/historic...sell_woods.pdf

However, most of the neighborhoods south of 6 Mile Road/McNichols, and east of Southfield are in decline - Commercials Streets such as Fenkell, Schoolcraft, Plymouth, Joy, Grand River, West Grand Boulevard, Linwood, Dexter, and Davison have very few businesses, and the neighborhoods behind them are in decline - abandonment, blight, crime. Some of the more notorious 'hoods are Brightmoor, Davison-Dexter-Linwood, 12th-Clairmount.

The SOUTHWEST side is a whole other story.

Unread 11-26-2008, 10:46 PM

Thanks Route Dre and Mx- route Barry subdivision is one place I look online. Dre you tube has plenty of detroit vids lol most not great.

Rmax yes I'm quite cautious- there's one online at 3971 lincoln but the side looks bad and the area seems to be becoming green again. South Park has two nice ones think around the 700 blk My favorite was on parkview but its way way overpriced and they neglected the roof and there is damage inside. They have listed it for 4 years and don't seem willing to come down in price.

My looking so far is online.

I do believe things will get worse way before theres' any chance to get better. Houses will become cheaper as people leave,the general economy declines, and any damage to the Big 3 autos will reverberate.

Right now I'm learning the market objectively from afar.

What about you guys? Are you also going to wait? Found anything you like?

I also look at commercial because some might make interesting residences and in some ways they are cheaper than houses. Maybe you guys would want to go 50-50 on some 15,000 sq ft building and each take a penthouse. I have some in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit