Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times

Advertisements

I have always been told and read that Detroit has the cleanest water of any municipality. I was also told that the water is sfot water and we did not need a water softener. We sold the one that we had purchased on E-bay rather than installing it.

This week out tanlkess water heater started beeping and flashin a code that meant it was scaled up. I descaled it, but did not find a lot of scale in the bucket.

Does anyone know whether Detroit City water is hard or soft? I found a website with a PDF of some test results, but that is just a bunch of numbers that mean nothing to me.

Maybe our water heater is just malfunctioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,916,051 times
send in a water sample to a testing facility or take a sample in to a water store. perhaps then can tell you. but i don't see how large industrial iron pipes provide any soft water.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:13 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Water provided by the City of Detroit Water and Sewage Department is soft water. You shouldn't need a water softener for it. I haven't needed one for over 40 years.

As for quality...it's better than most, but it's a stretch to call it the cleanest.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:01 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,044 times
Detroit Water is soft and some of the Best is the Union.

Just don't drink the stuff.

Fetus found at Detroit wastewater plant

Detroit Police said workers found a 3- to 4-month-old fetus at a Detroit Water and Sewerage wastewater treatment plant this afternoon.

Detroit Police spokesman James Tate said there was no indication a crime had occurred.

The fetus was discovered about 3 p.m. in the intake system at the plant in the 9300 block of Jefferson. The source of the intake could have come from any toilet or street sewer drain in Wayne County, Tate said.

Fetus found at Detroit wastewater plant | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20081128/NEWS01/81128084 - broken link)

Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 AM

well people always think they have soft water, but until you have a soft water appliance you don't know what your missing. i hate showering at hotels. i can feel the hard water. Ive showered in detroit many times over the years, every time it was hard water. so i don't believe it.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
My parents are on their own private well in north Oakland County. Water from the tap was so hard you could damn near walk on it. I especially noticed when washing my hands at their place; their well water didn't rinse the soap away as easily.

Since my parents installed a water softener, the only difference between their well water and my city water is that their well water tastes just a little salty.

Maybe they have a defective water softener? Maybe brokerdave can stop by and take a shower at my parents' house and let us know?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmax View Post
Detroit Water is soft and some of the Best is the Union.

Just don't drink the stuff.

Fetus found at Detroit wastewater plant

Detroit Police said workers found a 3- to 4-month-old fetus at a Detroit Water and Sewerage wastewater treatment plant this afternoon.

Detroit Police spokesman James Tate said there was no indication a crime had occurred.

The fetus was discovered about 3 p.m. in the intake system at the plant in the 9300 block of Jefferson. The source of the intake could have come from any toilet or street sewer drain in Wayne County, Tate said.

Fetus found at Detroit wastewater plant | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20081128/NEWS01/81128084 - broken link)

That would be the wastewater. Otherwise known as sewer water. Luckily we do nto direnk sewer water directly. First they clean it, dump it into th ewater system, mix it with 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of other water, then pump it out, clean it again and then we drink it.

I read somewhere that all the water on earth had been flushed through at least 7 bathrooms (obviously that cannot include the frozen water and the ancient protected aquifers).

Old 12-03-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
My parents are on their own private well in north Oakland County. Water from the tap was so hard you could damn near walk on it. I especially noticed when washing my hands at their place; their well water didn't rinse the soap away as easily.

Since my parents installed a water softener, the only difference between their well water and my city water is that their well water tastes just a little salty.

Maybe they have a defective water softener? Maybe brokerdave can stop by and take a shower at my parents' house and let us know?
no problem! lol

Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,044 times
Cold,

"I read somewhere... cannot include the frozen.... aquifers)."

Drinking recycled water.... It would depend on degree.

I read somewhere, "the Oceans are salty as a result of all the Dinosaur Urine".

Old 12-03-2008, 06:42 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
How do the aquifers freeze???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: