U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 PM

968 posts, read 1,661,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Go to Eastpointe. Look around (and if there's a garbageman around, duck).
Why's that?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:03 AM

1,887 posts, read 2,648,747 times
Someone shot at one last week at Normandy and Oak.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 AM

333 posts, read 644,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Go to SCS. Look around. Go to Roachville. Look around. Go to Eastpointe. Look around (and if there's a garbageman around, duck). Then, tell us which one is the most run down. Tell us which one shows the most pride in ownership.
Hell no, I agree. There's no way you can compare the whole city of SCS to Roachville and Pointe Blank. But SCS is still worse off than it used to be. The thing that's still holding it up is that it was basically, and still to an extent is, one of the Pointes.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:25 PM

SCS is a bit tired in spots, some of the locals look like they just washed up on the Lake St. Clair beach, and someone got stabbed at the fireworks display. However, it's still the best place in Macomb County south of 14 Mile by far. (North Warren has bigger and better houses, but the police will tell you to move out when you call them for minor stuff.) It's true that SCS (and HW too) is a lesser Grosse Pointe and that saves them somewhat, but SCS also has the lakeshore, the Nautical Mile, and nicer infill houses than any of the other cities mentioned. It's a place where children buy houses across the street from their parents' house...Eastpointe and much of Roseville used to be that way (some of it still is here and there) but the East Detroit and Roseville schools kill demand for their areas, and the worst school in a SCS district is about as good or better than a good East Detroit or Roseville school, if there are any left.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:51 PM

449 posts, read 546,790 times
Mna, this is a depressing thread. I never thought I'd see the day when people were talking about Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham and Gross Point going down hill. And to hear SCS is getting bad is simply amazing.

Why do people cite places like Oak Park and Southfield or the down river communities - they have been dumps for decades.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM

449 posts, read 546,790 times
Default Best Detroit Suburbs

Looking for upscale neighborhoods that are not at risk of going ghetto. I like Bloomfield but it's close to Ponticrack. And Birmingham was always too obnoxious for my taste. West Bloomfield - forget it. Huntington Woods is actually sounding better than ever and Berkley schools are supposed to be great. Then there is Rochester Hills and Sterling Heights or even Brighton. Howell sounds attractive but just too dam far.

I'd love to live on a lake but that might not work out.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 AM

I'm not saying SCS overall is getting bad. The overwhelming majority of it is just fine, but if it is going down, it is a much slower decline than its neighboring cities.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:16 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,064,456 times
Jesus Christ some of the info on this forum is mind boggling. I can' believe all the hate for St Clair Shores. What the hell would you people think if you went into Harper Woods? Probably too terified to cross the border.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:26 PM

I'm surprised to hear of the hate for SCS too. I think it's the general dislike metro Detroit has for Macomb County. For the most part it's Berkley with a coastline and a little less personality.

As for ghetto-resistant suburbs, most of Birmingham, Bingham Farms, Franklin. Want to go out further? Try Oakland Township...Bruce Township...Washington Township. Ray Township is an option, too, if you want land. For the truly adventurous, there's Grosse Ile out there in the middle of the Detroit River, or how about Metamora, but then again, that's like driving to Brighton or Howell, just in a different direction. Don't forget, nothing in SE MI is ghetto-proof. All those McMansions they've been building in the north Macomb townships will all need roofs and windows, and boy, do they have a lot of each. Also, strategic defaults are a-comin' if they aren't doing them already.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,350 times
I live in Grosse Pointe Woods with my family and my dads lived here his whole life. Grosse Pointe Woods is the most "casual" of the Pointes as in its not preppy or anything. We have seen major increases in crime and forclosures. A lot of crime from Detroit is leaking down onto Mack Avenue. There was a stick up at one of the pharmacies and the gas station right across from Parcells Middle School was robbed last year. All of the crime is on the border of Detroit and Harper Woods where Grosse Pointe Woods has 2 blocks on the West side of Mack. If crime makes it way to the East side of Mack then the neighborhoods are gone, the home prices are already gone so it may just be a matter of time. And also a comment with connections with the Big Three. I know many friends and family who live in Grosse Pointe and work for GM and Ford. Grosse Pointe is much more tied to the auto industry than you really think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit