U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2010, 03:00 PM

272 posts, read 429,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
LivoniaMi.... Fabulous pictures! Is the last one the Fox Theatre? Last time I was in the Fox was the early 60's. Didn't have a chance to go inside when I was there in 2003.

Thanks for posting!

Yeah, the last one is the Fox. It's a great place.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 04:17 PM

410 posts, read 390,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivoniaMi View Post
Yeah, the last one is the Fox. It's a great place.
Thank you! In 1961, I went to see the release of "Gone With The Wind" at either the Adams or Michigan Theatres, I think. It was the first time the movie had been released since 1939. It was quite an event. In 1966, I went to the Adams to see "Funny Girl". You had to buy reserved tickets. Those were the days.

In 2003, I did see the parking garage where the old Michigan Theatre had been. Disgusting! I am not interested in seeing ruins, much more interested in seeing restored buildings and landmarks.

I just wish we could see our old neighborhoods intact. But, that will never be on the East Side of Detroit. Very sad.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:51 PM

3,903 posts, read 4,990,333 times
Wow! Those are awesome pics!!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:42 PM

18 posts, read 24,804 times
Is it possible to request pictures?I would love to see current picture or video footage of the GAR building,The Grande Ballroom or other such historical yet dilapidated places.Especially if those places have restoration potential and are for sale.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:46 PM

18 posts, read 24,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Century25 View Post

Detroit (and America) would still be the greatest in the world.. except for the slobbering greed of capitalism & their 'effing 'outsourcing' - a ****ty euphemism for stealing our jobs.. our entire middle class.. our childrens futures.. by throwing millions of American citizens to the street.. and going to 3rd world countries for the cheapest labor & where they could pollute the planet - unchecked.

They are going to be paying for that huge mistake shortly as many factory workers in China are going on strike and demanding higher wages.The cheap labor boom is going to come to an end.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:18 PM

6,095 posts, read 4,775,318 times
I passed the GAR building today. Here are a few picks:

From Grand River:

From Cass:

From Adams:

Looking downtown from up Grand River, showing Adams and Grand River side and the Book Tower on the right:

Overall, it appears to be fairly well secured and preserved. A few areas of brick/stone damage or loss on the northwest tower.
Attached Thumbnails
Where are the pics of Detroit ?-063.jpg   Where are the pics of Detroit ?-065.jpg   Where are the pics of Detroit ?-066.jpg   Where are the pics of Detroit ?-062.jpg  

Old 08-09-2010, 01:34 AM

578 posts, read 1,795,558 times
Detroit pics BACK THEN? or HOW IT IS NOW? our local PBS tv station just did a wonderful documentary during pledge week, showing the 'retro' stuff; heydays of Packard Auto, Vernors ginger ale plant, Hudson's Thanksgiving parade, Belle Isle, Detroit River walk, Bob-Lo Boat docks, etc.
HERE IS: wonderful night shot of "Scott Fountain" at Belle Isle Park. SO COOL REFRESHING, no? lol
Attached Thumbnails
Where are the pics of Detroit ?-fountainbelle.jpg  

Last edited by HeleenieWeenie; 08-09-2010 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: add pic description

Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 AM

6,095 posts, read 4,775,318 times
Too bad the Scott Fountain isn't running. I was on the Isle a few days ago. There's a cyclone fence around it. (They may be doing some maintenance.)

Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 AM

578 posts, read 1,795,558 times
I lived on East Grand Blvd. for 30yrs. moved in 2004 (when Kwame killed the city) and passed those wonderdul architectual bastions for years...hoping "when is someone gonna buy them and RESTORE THEM?".... they just dont build 'em like that anymore! LOVELY examples of skills/craft/art.

Facebook and YouTube has 10min. VDOs of the Grande Ballroom; "...Louder than love..." is one of the locally produced specials, guys sneaked in the side boarded=up door, and took shots of that dilapidated wonderful old bldg. keep chkg. PBS tv for lots of docs and programs about that stuff. use your Google for searches of the Grande too.

What? OMG, seems like the geniuses and powers that be, could do that in the springtime, NOT at the peak season whe tourists COME TO VISIT, expecting to see this beautiful, historic landmark, duh....just another reason why Detroit is so F" up & dying a little at a time. they used to have cement blocks, construction & stacks of tires to 'ugly-up' the jewel called Belle Isle...in readiness for the $$$ of the Grand Prix when it was held there. Such stupidity to close the aquarium the zoo, whats next the plant observatory and gardens? why bother at all, just put a toll booth at the entrance, let the boozers, punks, gangsters with guns just OWN THE ISLAND, and and kill each other in a free for all!!!

Last edited by Yac; 08-16-2010 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 09-10-2010, 08:33 AM

5 posts, read 6,768 times
So much potential...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit