Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 PM

29 posts, read 56,352 times

Advertisements

We may be looking at a relocation from MN in the summer. Can anyone give me some areas to start my search? We have two high school age children. So we want really good schools. Also, safe neighborhood. Close to shopping. No further than an hour away from the airport.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Biblegal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 PM

866 posts, read 4,244,469 times
Northville, Northville Twp, Plymouth, Plymouth Twp, Canton are all close to the airport and are all very nice safe areas with excellent schools. Novi, just north of the Northville area, is the big shopping mecca, at Twelve Oaks.

Livonia just south and east of these areas also have many shopping areas.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:18 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,264,217 times
It all depends on what ALL you want from your suburb. There are so man good area's. Many much more developed than others. Do you want heavier traffic and sub after sub on top of one another? Stores, gas stations, and restaurants on every corner? In addition to the others mentioned you can look at Farmington, Troy, Rochester Hills take your pick. They are all good area's with good schools, but they are also very developed. Would you prefer a more secluded area that is still within an hour of the airport, good schools with a lot of nature around? Deer in your yard? and other wildlife? Then look into Commerce, Milford, Highland, Hartland, Howell and Brighton. I'm in Highland, we have awesome schools deer in my yard, pond across the street,( the frogs croak me to sleep at night) lots of lakes and I would NEVER choose any of the bigger cities. EVER. But I like the less developed area. People are nice, everything is just close enough without being too far away. So it depends on exactly what you like.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 AM

8 posts, read 30,529 times
In addition to what the others have said, you probably want to look at where you'll be working as well. I wouldn't enjoy an hour-plus commute twice a day.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,403,084 times
We went through this a few years ago and spent a huge amount of time and effort studying every community wihtin range of the ariport. OUr limit was 1.5 hours away but most of these places are less than that. Here is our opinions/findings:

Really cool small town atmosphere with frineldy people, community events, and great schools:

Plymouth.
Grosse Ile.
Grosse Point(s).
Brimingham (some say its a little snobby - depends on whom you meet and hang out with).
Rochester
Northville.
Dexter.
Chelsea
Tecumseh
South Lyon
Saline
I am missing a couple somewhere. Sorry, I am tired today.

(Still good schools but perhaps not on the same level):

Brighton
Milford

Nice place for cookie cutter subdivision living, and shopping at malls (also with great schools):
Novi
Canton (you want Plymouth Canton School district)

Generally nice place to live but missing a real downtown. Mix of modern subs and old fashioned neighborhoods. Greator good schools:

West Bloomfield
Rochester Hills (Rochester is nearby)
Troy (awesome shopping mall there)
Farmington Hills (good schools, nearby Farmington has a decent downtown)
Walled Lake

Northern Livonia has some nice communities and decent schools. No real downtown. It is mostly middle aged homes (1940s-1970s).

Rural living/villiages:

Lyon township (South lyon schools)
New Hudson (South Lyon Schools)
Green Oak Township (South Lyon Schools
Salem (south lyon schools)
Ann Arbor Township (Several good school Districts)
Northville Township (Northville Schools).
Plymouth township (Plymouth Canton or Ann Arbor Schools)

Ann Arbor is an awesome and lively City with great schools - does not fit into other groups.

Royal Oak is a great lively city, especialy for 20-30 y.o., but the schools are not so great.
Wyandotte is another really neat small city, but schools could be better.
Ferndale is also pretty neat, but not a family kind of place.

Detroit has some outstanding schools, and some beautiful neighborhoods, but they are surrounded by yuck. If you have a pioneering spirit and are willing to take risks, it could be a neat place for a family.

I am not sure where to put Trenton. I peronsally like Trenton a lot. It has a small downtown along the river that is not very lively, but has some neat places. They have some community activism. A neat theater. Pretty good schools. The houses are mostly smallish/blue collar. The people are really terrific for the most part.

The people are pretty much terrific everywhere except a few snobby types and/or bigots (hillbillys) scattered around or concentrated in afew places.

There are a few places that I cannot tell you much about:

Bloomfield Hills (Great schools, mostly wealthy people).
Auburn Hills.
Dearborn
Franklin (expensive)
Clawson

Better options are available:

Romulus*
Westland
Inkster*
Garden city
Dearborn Heights
Southfield
Roseville
Fraser
Eastpointe
St. Clair Shores
Ecorse*
Allen Park
Lincoln Park*
Redford/Redford township*
Sterling Heights
Taylor
Riverview
Southgate
Woodhaven
Wayne*
Warren*
Ypsilanti*

Many of these places are fine places to live, but they do not have top schools, and/or other places simply offer more charm, opportunities, or community activities. Places marked * are places that most people would categorize as not very nice, but they still have some really nice parts. It depends on where you are within those towns or cities.

We looked at almost all of these places. We needed to be close to the airport. Our Short list was:

Plymouth
Grosse Ile
Grosse Pointe
South Lyon/Lyon Township
Northville

We choose Grosse Ile mostly because the schools are small, we liked being on the water, community events and facilities are outstanding, and they had lots of historic houses with large (1 acre or more) lots. Living on an island is neat too. Overall we love Grosse Ile and are very happy with our choice. However there are times that I sort of wish that we had chosen Plymouth, South Lyon, Northville, or Grosse Pointe for various reasons - often simply becuase Grosse Ile High school does not have a pool. Sometimes because all of the other communities are closer to my parents and siblings.

Good Luck

Old 04-06-2009, 04:00 PM

21 posts, read 71,219 times
Default Come to Bevelry Hills

Look into Beverly Hills. Our schools are in the Birmingham School district (one of the best in the state), we have nice family friendly neighborhoods, our location is central and close to everything. Comerica Park to see the Tigers - 20 minutes, Detroit Metro Airport - 30 minutes, access to all major highways to take your east west north and south within 5 minutes. I would say the average home price is $350,00 but you can find homes in almost any price range. Check out www.villagebeverlyhills.com for more info if you are interested. This area also has longevity that other suburbs may not - especially in this economic downturn you want to be careful about moving into neighborhoods that may not recover from what is happening here.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:50 PM

915 posts, read 1,494,038 times
Just to expand on what Coldjensen said, Auburn Hills borders on Pontiac, Rochester Hills, Troy. It's a nice area for the most part; however, it is Chrysler's headquarters, so as much as I like the city, I'd be really careful if I were to move there because a lot of the business may be moving out soon.

Bloomfield Hills is a super nice area, but like he said....uber-wealthy.

Clawson just finished a re-do on their downtown area which looks really sharp. The schools, from what I hear, are so-so, nice neighborhoods, but city government has a hard time funding cops/firemen/schools because it's a really small town (again, from what I've heard from someone who lived there). Shares a border with Troy/Royal Oak.

Sterling Heights is a great area. Schools are good and neighborhoods are nice. Their city government has their act together. Great library, civic area/parks. Festivals and parades every year.

A lot will depend if you are looking for someplace more rural or urban.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,838 times
Ann Arbor is the best place in SE Michigan, but it wouldn't be a fun commute to a job in the Detroit suburbs or the city.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:03 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,403,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozach1576 View Post
Ann Arbor is the best place in SE Michigan, but it wouldn't be a fun commute to a job in the Detroit suburbs or the city.
Depends on your age, family status, and how outdoorsy you are. Have you ever been to the towns along the nw coast of ythe l.p.?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:00 PM

17 posts, read 136,972 times
I used to work at Dearborn. Living in the Ann Arbor and Saline area have been rated some of the best places to live in the US. I-94 traffic is far the easiest route to work and home with very mininal traffic delays. I've looked in other parts, they are nice, but the traffic commute is a nightmare.

If you are in the northern detroit area, I would recommend troy, shelby township and Utica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit