U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Location: D-town (technically a suburb, cause "and the" said so)
90 posts, read 136,573 times
Default Stand up and tell 'em your from...DETROIT!

Playing off of the old channel 7 commercial, I want to help start a new trend. Actually being proud of being from Detroit (the entire metro area) and telling people about it. I can't stand when the ridiculous media (most of whom have never been to Detroit) tries to paint this city as entirely bad. Detroit, for all it's warts, still has many, many positives. If any of you feel so enticed, post something good about the metro area and be proud of it. I'll start...

I love the people. Yes some are tough and a little gruff, but we are generally very genuine people. We know and care about our neighbors, our sports teams, and of course, our families. Plus, nobody can tell me this isn't one of the best sports towns in America!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 06:25 PM

186 posts, read 393,887 times
We area a great area suburban and urban. Sure we have our ups and downs, mostly economicly, but when it comes down to it, we all love each other, neighbors, friends, sport teams, bosses, and whoever else comes into our lived here. We also have nice communties and are all looking forward to a better tommorrow.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 PM

999 posts, read 3,088,560 times
Quote:
Actually being proud of being from Detroit (the entire metro area) and telling people about it. I can't stand when the ridiculous media (most of whom have never been to Detroit) tries to paint this city as entirely bad.

And I can't stand people who live in Novi and say they're from Detroit. Actually, I'm sure they're nice people...I just don't like the whole idea of leading people to believe that Detroit has so much in common with the suburbs that it's not a lie for someone from West Bloomfield to tell unsuspecting rubes that they're a Detroiter. It's a contradiction in terms for anyone who actually knows anything about Detroit, or who is now, or has ever actually BEEN from Detroit......At least come up with a new name like "Detroitland", like Chicago does. Novi ain't Detroit, and if you're from Novi, you're as far away from Detroit as Earth is from Mars.

Also.....why would you be "proud" of being from Detroit? Because you're too poor to move anywhere else? Too dumb? A glutton for punishment? The type who keeps touching the stove burner again and again? Have no desire to have kids and reproduce, and thus have no need to leave Detroit for a place where you can raise a child? Are childless married people actually proud of being childless by choice?

Being "proud" of being from Detroit is like being proud of your ethnic heritage for the sake of being proud of your ethnic heritage alone, having no idea of any accomplishments that might justify some sort of vicarious pride. You really had no choice in the matter...so why not be proud of having blue eyes or brown hair while we're at it?

Nah, being from Detroit may be a novelty if you're actually from the city and find yourself in polite company in another town in another state......If you're from the suburbs and tell someone in Podunkia that you're from Detroit, it's just a masquerade.....which is also a book by Lowell Caufiel....Now THERE'S a guy, Dr.Canty I mean....who was proud of being "from Detroit", and look where it got HIM! Now he's from all OVER Michigan.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:04 AM

7,520 posts, read 9,806,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Road View Post
We area a great area suburban and urban. Sure we have our ups and downs, mostly economicly, but when it comes down to it, we all love each other, neighbors, friends, sport teams, bosses, and whoever else comes into our lived here. We also have nice communties and are all looking forward to a better tommorrow.

Ok..sayin don't make it so..but I gotta love that NAME IT AND CLAIM IT attitude!

Three clicks of the ruby red shoes and....

Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 AM

902 posts, read 1,032,579 times
It's amazes me the irresponsible journalism from outsiders . You'll have a writer from say L.A. or New York bashing us , have you ever been to NY or L.A. ? They should talk lol And when we put on a big event like the World Series, Super Bowl , Stanley Cup Finals , NCAA basketball etc . , the media and visitors rave about Detroit and usually mention something along the lines that Detroit wasn't what they expected . Many major cities I've been to , once you get out of the downtown area looks alittle rough . I've read some FBI stats in recent years that per capita , some surburban cities such as Sterling Heights has more crime than Detroit .

I thought someone would enjoy this video:

YouTube - WXYZ "Stand Up and Tell Em' You're from Detroit" Promo 1985

Old 05-12-2009, 10:02 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,232,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
And I can't stand people who live in Novi and say they're from Detroit. Actually, I'm sure they're nice people...I just don't like the whole idea of leading people to believe that Detroit has so much in common with the suburbs that it's not a lie for someone from West Bloomfield to tell unsuspecting rubes that they're a Detroiter. It's a contradiction in terms for anyone who actually knows anything about Detroit, or who is now, or has ever actually BEEN from Detroit......At least come up with a new name like "Detroitland", like Chicago does. Novi ain't Detroit, and if you're from Novi, you're as far away from Detroit as Earth is from Mars.

Also.....why would you be "proud" of being from Detroit? Because you're too poor to move anywhere else? Too dumb? A glutton for punishment? The type who keeps touching the stove burner again and again? Have no desire to have kids and reproduce, and thus have no need to leave Detroit for a place where you can raise a child? Are childless married people actually proud of being childless by choice?

Being "proud" of being from Detroit is like being proud of your ethnic heritage for the sake of being proud of your ethnic heritage alone, having no idea of any accomplishments that might justify some sort of vicarious pride. You really had no choice in the matter...so why not be proud of having blue eyes or brown hair while we're at it?

Nah, being from Detroit may be a novelty if you're actually from the city and find yourself in polite company in another town in another state......If you're from the suburbs and tell someone in Podunkia that you're from Detroit, it's just a masquerade.....which is also a book by Lowell Caufiel....Now THERE'S a guy, Dr.Canty I mean....who was proud of being "from Detroit", and look where it got HIM! Now he's from all OVER Michigan.
Dude, what are you so pi$$ed off about? What gives you the right to question what another human being is or isn't proud of?

Get some real therapy istead of constantly unleashing your caged anger on Detroiters through an internet forum. I'm quite certain you wouldn't have the guts to stand on a street corner in Detroit and spout the same drivel. Why would someone with such disdain for a place even bother to begin with? Nothing better to do, that's why.......very sad.

I was born in Detroit (yes, at the old Mt. Carmel Mercy hospital WITHIN the city limits), and even though I don't live there now I am proud to say I'm from there, because I love Detroit and always will. Being only 4 hours up the road, I go to the city every chance I get, when I could easily afford to go other places. I am probably in Detroit more than many people who actually live in the metro area. I enjoy spending time there, period. I love the hotels, the architecture, the riverfront, the food, the sports, and much more. Sorry if that bothers you, and the.....uh, actually I'm not....scratch that last.

One other thing....even if they don't live within the city limits, people that live around them and either work or spend a good deal of time there on a consistent basis have every right to claim they are from there. That's how it is in every town I've ever lived in and the Detroit metro is no different. I don't know who died and made you lord of hometown claimage, and the, but it wasn't me, and I find your hate filled, arrogant rants to be nothing more than a perpetual JOKE.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 PM

999 posts, read 3,088,560 times
Quote:
Dude, what are you so pi$$ed off about? What gives you the right to question what another human being is or isn't proud of?
I'm not pissed off about anything. If some guy from Howell wants to BS me and tell me he's from Detroit, I'll politely humor him. But it is a little annoying because I spent a good part of my childhood and most of my adult life in Detroit before pulling the "eject" handles. I served my time. I paid my taxes, city, county and 3% Detroit income tax, kept my property better than the surrounding properties and paid my mortgage(s) off before selling (as opposed to walking away from) my houses. Cleaned off the gang graffiti from my house and garage. And when I hear someone from Birmingham or one of the Bloomfields tell me they live in Detroit, or are "from" Detroit having never spent more than a few nights there at a downtown hotel, I feel like a combat veteran in a bar probably feels when there's a chairborne ranger sitting on the next stool talking about his combat experience when he never left the states.

Living in many areas of Detroit is much like living in a war zone. You can't leave your compound during the day without a legitimate fear of an enemy infiltration, and in many places you can NEVER leave the wire at night without posting a guard. That's a sure invitation for an ambush.

Having someone imply that they know what it's like to live there because they're "from Detroit", with a Novi zip code, makes me want to laugh at them.

Quote:
I don't know who died and made you lord of hometown claimage, and the, but it wasn't me, and I find your hate filled, arrogant rants to be nothing more than a perpetual JOKE.
Lots of people died so that I can express my opinion. If you don't like it, don't read it. But if your claim to being "from Detroit" is that you were born there and are now somewhere north of Tawas or closer to Indianapolis than Detroit......Well...that's kind of funny....I assume you at least lived in the city for a few years? Maybe went to Detroit public schools? Owned a house or two there and paid taxes and car insurance? Been burglarized there a few times? Ever go down to the Coleman A. Young Building and spend ALL DAY there to fight it out with the building department over a house you were trying to buy or sell? Seriously, you live 200 miles away from Detroit and when you go on vacation and people ask you where you're from, you tell them Detroit? What exactly are you proud of? That you were born at Mt. Carmel? Really, why are people "proud" to be from a particular area? What is this idea of "regional pride" other than marketing BS? Give me a little perspective. How many years did you actually live within the city limits of Detroit?

If you're REALLY proud of Detroit, buy a house within city limits and start paying property taxes and income taxes and supporting neighborhood businesses. Then Detroiters can be proud of you too and you'll go a lot farther in actually improving things than paying taxes up north and telling your neighbors that you're from Detroit. Platitudes don't tear down burned out buildings.

Quote:
I'm quite certain you wouldn't have the guts to stand on a street corner in Detroit and spout the same drivel.
Why would I want to stand on an empty street corner to dodge tumbleweeds and make my opinion known? Oh, I get it...You're implying that I'm a coward and that it would be DANGEROUS to do that in Detroit? I was never worried about that kind of danger in Detroit, I was mostly worried about my house being burglarized (again), or having to do something I'd rather not do if someone tried to burglarize my house with me in it (again) or being shot at the ATM next to my neighborhood (not downtown) bar at 1:00am like a friend was. Or shot outside the bakery at 5:00pm like another acquaintance was, or shot outside the barber shop like a friend's father was. Or being robbed in the alley behind my own house for a cheap gold chain like my 72 year-old grandmother was. Or being murdered in my house after someone followed me home from church like my other grandmother's neighbor was (St. Christopher's Church on Woodmont). How about you? You ever worry about that during your tenure in Detroit while paying taxes and maintaining a house there? Being from Detroit, you must have, right? I've paid my dues and can call "BS" on anyone I want to. Oh yeah...who was the genius that said Sterling Heights actually has more crime, per capita, than Detroit does? I'd like to talk to that guy about that statement. We can talk one night at 2:00am on the corner of 17 Mile and Dodge Park Road, and the next time we can talk about it after last call while standing on the corner of Puritan and Linwood.

The part about being from Detroit that is actually worthy of some type of pride is being FROM Detroit, as in "not there anymore". That is, working hard enough and smart enough to get the hell out so you can raise your family somewhere else with decent schools where your kids can ride their bike around the block when it's dark out. That's what I'm proud of. That I USED to live in Detroit but don't anymore. That I made the sacrifices necessary to escape and raise my family somewhere other than Detroit. THAT you can be proud of.

Last edited by and the; 05-12-2009 at 03:43 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post

You know what else I can't stand...when people try to impress others with quasi-intelligence. You have no idea what you're talking about and because of that, you try to drag people down. Your lack of intelligence is evident when you make an attempt to compare where you're from with ethnic heritage. What makes you so sure I wasn't raised somewhere else? You see, all your ASSUMPTIONS show just how little you really know. If I were you, I'd stop now. You're making yourself look really foolish.

BTW, if I'm in another state and someone asks where I'm from, do you think they would know where Novi, or Dearborn Heights, or Ecorse, or Taylor is???

Old 05-12-2009, 03:56 PM

[/quote]The part about being from Detroit that is actually worthy of some type of pride is being FROM Detroit, as in "not there anymore". That is, working hard enough and smart enough to get the hell out so you can raise your family somewhere else with decent schools where your kids can ride their bike around the block when it's dark out. That's what I'm proud of. That I USED to live in Detroit but don't anymore. That I made the sacrifices necessary to escape and raise my family somewhere other than Detroit. THAT you can be proud of.[/quote]

Well, Mr. Proud to now be somewhere else, why don't you enlighten us as to your new utopia? Please, show us the light. Or are you in some way ashamed? If you hate Detroit so much, why even waste your time with mere simpletons like us? I mean, you are so much better than us now, right?? Why would someone of your apparent stature even bring yourself down so far as to associate with "METRO DETROITERS"???

Old 05-12-2009, 03:57 PM

86 posts, read 140,348 times
Would he rather we say we're from the Detroit AREA..?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit