Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:53 PM

92,112 posts, read 122,326,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
I agree with some of your post, but the part about white guys being stalkers or creepy is not part of our culture. Yes, white guys do the same thing. It has more to do with being a man, than anything else.
I agree with that. I've had all kinds of friends "holler" at women.

I will say that I agree somewhat with the assumption of them think that she might be interested in Black guys due to being there in a city where they might not see White women that often in Black neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:11 PM

999 posts, read 4,514,245 times
Quote:
I will say that I agree somewhat with the assumption of them think that she might be interested in Black guys due to being there in a city where they might not see White women that often in Black neighborhoods.
You see a white woman with a camera taking pictures of an architecturally interesting building and you agree that it's somewhat reasonable to assume that since she's in a black neighborhood she must be trolling for a brother? Can you imagine what popular opinion would be if I suggested that a black woman walking on the sidewalk in a white neighborhood was probably hunting for a white guy for a date, so I yelled out a comment about her hot behind from my car?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
You see a white woman with a camera taking pictures of an architecturally interesting building and you agree that it's somewhat reasonable to assume that since she's in a black neighborhood she must be trolling for a brother? Can you imagine what popular opinion would be if I suggested that a black woman walking on the sidewalk in a white neighborhood was probably hunting for a white guy for a date, so I yelled out a comment about her hot behind from my car?
I'm not talking about "trolling" for a brother. I mean in the sense that she is there in the first place due to the dynamics and reality of race in Detroit. I'm not saying what they were doing is acceptable, but they might think she was comfortable or use to said neighborhood.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:06 PM

380 posts, read 689,409 times
Honestly, what happened to you was not a "Detroit thing". These men were "cat calling" and coming on to you in a disrespectful, verbally aggressive manner, using inappropriate language. I'm sure their intent was not to kill, rape or rob you, for if it were, they would have done so, since there was nothing stopping them from doing either or all of those things. The "Hey, Baby" colloquialism is one used across all races, in all areas, when referring to women. That's nothing specific to Detroit. With that said, those men probably saw you as a white girl in a neighborhood that probably doesn't include many white girls that look like you (I'm sure you weren't looking scruffy, impoverished and rundown like the few white women in that area), so they probably thought you were a suburbanite looking for drugs, or a "good time". Although I'm not a huge fan of Detroit, Detroit's reputation does not accurately or adequately represent its people and neighborhoods. You're probably more likely to be robbed in New York and shot in Chicago than in Detroit. Unfortunately, the national features and reporting on Detroit are usually done in a stereotypical manner to perpetuate negative stereotypes that the city is sooo dangerous and crime-infested. Photos and videos of Detroit are pretty much always of run down, desolate & abandoned buildings and neighborhoods. However, Detroit has very nice working, middle- and upperclass neighborhoods as well. These areas in Detroit are rarely shown. It's up to Detroiters to show visitors these areas because the media definitely will not. Detroit may have its issues, as does all major cities-as well as-rural/suburban ones, however, it's unfairly depicted/portrayed. Detroit may be desolate and bleak now, since it's experiencing extreme financial hardship, but it's not the "Beirut" everyone thinks it is or perceives it as; a city "Where the weak are killed and eaten". Detroit is simply regarded as the "ugly duckling" in the country, and the media will make sure it remains that way.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:30 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,989,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
Although I'm not a huge fan of Detroit, Detroit's reputation does not accurately or adequately represent its people and neighborhoods. You're probably more likely to be robbed in New York and shot in Chicago than in Detroit.
I agree with almost everything about your larger message, but greatly disagree about New York in particular, I don't know Chicago well enough to disagree with.

New York ALSO has a reputation for crime and robbery and muggings...but having lived there for a few years, I found that GREATLY exaggerated. Completely undeservingly.

Anyways, I did agree with your greater message...just not this particular statement within it.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:36 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,532,497 times
Check New York's current crime rate: shockingly low! It used to be a hellhole till Guiliani cleaned it up, and it's stayed cleaned up for a major city. Bravo, NYC!!!!
Chicago needs to take a lesson. In my one year there a few years ago, I knew of several muggings and break-ins. Sad. And I'm from there, so it really is discouraging to me.
Houston isn't bad to me, but I always stayed in the "safe and nicer" areas of the city. It probably is pretty rough in certain areas. (I'm too chicken to go there.)
Anyone know about L.A.?

Old 07-12-2009, 01:09 PM

380 posts, read 689,409 times
My point is there is crime in other major cities. However, the crime is underreported because there is a financial and commercial interest in ensuring national and international entities continue to invest in these areas, such as Chicago and New York. Hence, it would be detrimental to depict these areas as unsafe or dangerous. It's all business...

Old 07-12-2009, 01:23 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,016,988 times
Quote:
My point is there is crime in other major cities. However, the crime is underreported because there is a financial and commercial interest in ensuring national and international entities continue to invest in these areas, such as Chicago and New York. Hence, it would be detrimental to depict these areas as unsafe or dangerous. It's all business...
It would help to show news articles that prove that under-reporting takes place in those places, and then if some guy shows an article that shows under-reporting taking place in Detroit, then your point is lost anyway...

Old 07-12-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Honestly, what happened to you was not a "Detroit thing". These men were "cat calling" and coming on to you in a disrespectful, verbally aggressive manner, using inappropriate language. I'm sure their intent was not to kill, rape or rob you, for if it were, they would have done so, since there was nothing stopping them from doing either or all of those things. The "Hey, Baby" colloquialism is one used across all races, in all areas, when referring to women. That's nothing specific to Detroit. With that said, those men probably saw you as a white girl in a neighborhood that probably doesn't include many white girls that look like you (I'm sure you weren't looking scruffy, impoverished and rundown like the few white women in that area), so they probably thought you were a suburbanite looking for drugs, or a "good time". Although I'm not a huge fan of Detroit, Detroit's reputation does not accurately or adequately represent its people and neighborhoods. You're probably more likely to be robbed in New York and shot in Chicago than in Detroit. Unfortunately, the national features and reporting on Detroit are usually done in a stereotypical manner to perpetuate negative stereotypes that the city is sooo dangerous and crime-infested. Photos and videos of Detroit are pretty much always of run down, desolate & abandoned buildings and neighborhoods. However, Detroit has very nice working, middle- and upperclass neighborhoods as well. These areas in Detroit are rarely shown. It's up to Detroiters to show visitors these areas because the media definitely will not. Detroit may have its issues, as does all major cities-as well as-rural/suburban ones, however, it's unfairly depicted/portrayed. Detroit may be desolate and bleak now, since it's experiencing extreme financial hardship, but it's not the "Beirut" everyone thinks it is or perceives it as; a city "Where the weak are killed and eaten". Detroit is simply regarded as the "ugly duckling" in the country, and the media will make sure it remains that way.
Good points.....

Old 07-12-2009, 05:50 PM

999 posts, read 4,514,245 times
Quote:
Kinda tough to hide a body. As much as Detroit tries to by calling a homcide something other than a murder. Detroit's per capita criminal homicide rate is WAY beyond NYC's. Check the FBI's uniform crime report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit