U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 AM

398 posts, read 595,276 times
Yeah, you're right that both Hamtramck and NYC have working-class immigrant neighborhoods, but it doesn't mean they look or feel the same.

And what major American city doesn't have working class immigrant neighborhoods? They basically all do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:00 PM

428 posts, read 492,453 times
Hamtramck is NOT like NYC. It is, in fact, pretty ghetto. At least from an average person's perspective. From a Detroiter's perspective, it's not to bad...LOL.

It's a town that still has some life in it...but it aint pretty. Keep in mind that it is surrounded by Detroit, and not exactly the nicest part of the D (and yes, Detroit does in fact have some nice neighborhoods).

I would say definately visit before moving.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 AM

276 posts, read 669,972 times
"Hip" is not the term I would use to describe Hamtramck. I find it to be very run down and not at all a place I would recommend to a newcomer. If you want "hip" I would look into Royal Oak or Ferndale. As for a melting pot of working class citizens, your best bet would probably be Dearborn.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 AM

8 posts, read 14,071 times
Hamtramck is a very cool place to be sure it's been hit hard but what city hasn't from this recession business is booming movies being made on every corner it's like a mini hollywood these days and it has everything you can ask for with all the different ethnicity's it's almost life NYC if not better just come out here for a visit but im sure you won't want to leave cheers

Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 PM

12,676 posts, read 18,896,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
"Hip" is not the term I would use to describe Hamtramck. I find it to be very run down and not at all a place I would recommend to a newcomer. If you want "hip" I would look into Royal Oak or Ferndale. As for a melting pot of working class citizens, your best bet would probably be Dearborn.
I know I'm bumping up an older post. But, I drove around Hamtramck, Dearborn and Royal Oak several days back.

I'm re-reading this thread again...yeah, that's what I found as well. Royal Oak looked great and very comfortable. Dearborn did seem to be more what I had hoped Hamtramck might be like. Not on the hip spectrum, but more in the melting pot working class way.

Amazing the transition when moving from Dearborn into Detroit though...so suddenly it goes from very livable to very dilipitated.

Hamtramck really has no resemblance to NYC whatsoever. Not as I had hoped.

On the plus side, downtown Detroit certainly looks much more interesting than it did years ago since I last saw it. I mean, mostly businesses and such, and I wouldn't want to live in a condo downtown, but certainly seemed more interesting and a bit more lively than I remember it a long time ago.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,678,262 times
The neighborhood homes in Hamtramck sorta reminds me of the one they use in the TV show Ugly Betty in NYC. I think in Queens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit