Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:27 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,865,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
Hail to all good folks : Maxine3, TigerDan,meadgrad, Tiger Beer, Slipkid -
I bow to you in deep gratitude for your feedback. I made up my mind, and I have moved to Port Huron the north end area recently. I believe that this little town CAN be a model for American entrepreneurship, and it CAN bounce back from the doldrums of the current economic grand recession. It will take fearless pioneers to invest into the area with community-servicing businesses to revive the economy. It is a wake-up call for die-hard UAW dependent folks, the auto industry might take years to make a comeback..
Very nice to hear POSITIVE input from you guys, I really appreciate your honesty. Hope to meet you in town soon!!!
Chris
Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 PM

282 posts, read 812,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
Hello everybody! I am in desperate need of "local advice" and wise and honest facts about moving to Port Huron. Next week I am planning to purchase a quadruplex in the area south of the Black river, very close to Mlitary road, just south of the 10th st bridge from St.Clair county community college. Please advise me if this IS a healthy neighbourhood to live in. It is a lifetime savings that I am about to invest, the reason being is that I am completely priced out of the market in St.Paul, Minnesota. This is my last resort to escape the vicious cycle of paying rent and being deprived of homeownership. IS THERE A FUTURE in living and starting a small business such as a gas station or a liquor store in Port Huron? I am aware that it is a small town with 33,000 residents, but I like the fact that it is located right across the bridge from Sarnia, ON. Please see if you could write some honest feedback, I would be gracefully thankful.
The best of luck to you. I hope you love living there.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:03 AM

695 posts, read 3,400,011 times
Nice city. Sort of a home away from home for me. I have visited there countless times. As a north end resident, get ready for about 6 years of construction starting around 2011. The bridge plaza construction project should start soon...30 businesses and 150 homes from 10th and Pine Grove to Hancock and Pine Grove will be leveled for a useless project.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:04 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,494,579 times
Shouldn't you have gotten the advice BEFORE you committed to buy?

Are you asking just to justify your decision?

Most experts say the prices will continue to decline over the next year- what was the rush?

Honestly if every poster said to "Wait" would you?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Shouldn't you have gotten the advice BEFORE you committed to buy?

Are you asking just to justify your decision?

Most experts say the prices will continue to decline over the next year- what was the rush?

Honestly if every poster said to "Wait" would you?
Did you read the thread?

Kazak asked questions last August. Considered near Milatary Street, then followed advise and is living on the north end.
Wake up!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 PM

You are correct Maxine - however most experts do expect a decline over the next year or two for this area.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:10 PM

There are no guarantees.
Don't wait your life away.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,037,137 times
Why would you want to open a small business in a dying state like Michigan that is losing population over time? Why not move to an area of the country that is increasing in its population and open a business there? If you buy a house in Michigan, it's possible that it could continue to decrease in value if people continue to flee Michigan and if the U.S. economy continues to decline (which I predict it will).

Old 02-07-2010, 02:26 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,997,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Why would you want to open a small business in a dying state like Michigan that is losing population over time? Why not move to an area of the country that is increasing in its population and open a business there? If you buy a house in Michigan, it's possible that it could continue to decrease in value if people continue to flee Michigan and if the U.S. economy continues to decline (which I predict it will).
Seems like this sentiment comes up all of the time.

DETROIT and MICHIGAN with the economy are two drastically different things. The city of Detroit is the one with the economic issues.

The rest of the state, including Port Huron, is just a normal regular place...wouldn't be any different than being in Nebraska or Wisconsin or Maine or wherever else. It's just a town with chain stores and gas stations and blockbusters and whatever else.

If anything, the OP who is interested in a gas station has a good idea going. It's an international border, constant trade with Canada goes through there...and will continue to go through there. Not only that, but there aren't any initiatives to provide a train or subway service or anything else...the city is growing in Port Huron...more and more people and businesses every year. The population is increasing, and cars on the road that will require gas are also increasing.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Tiger Beer don't let the facts get in your way of saying what you like.
Even on here (City-data) it says Port Huron's population has declined 4.5% from 2000-8. That means less people, less cars and less gasoline sales.

The rest of Michigan is still suffering - it is not a place such as Maine which is growing.

Back up your statements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit