U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2009, 03:44 PM

89 posts, read 146,639 times

Advertisements

My husband's company will be transferring him to the Detroit area in Spring 2010. We aren't exactly sure where he will be sent - the two biggest possibilities right now are Auburn Hills and Trenton. If he goes to Auburn Hills we are interested in moving to Rochester Hills or Lake Orion. If he is sent to Trenton, we would like to be a little closer to this area but aren't sure what cities we should look into. I would greatly appreciate any info that you can give. This will be our third transfer in four years and I'm hoping the last until he retires. Schools are important because we have a 12 year old with a mild learning disability and he does receive extra support in school. Thanks for any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 04:18 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,492,749 times
If Trenton then Grosse Ile is your choice. Great small community, woods, water, wildlife, quiet, low speed limits, great schools, super low crime, etc. Nowhere else in the area is comparable. I could write a book about why Grosse Ile is one of the best places to raise kids anywhere. I have on some ealier posts, if you can find them, it may be helpful. the downside is that it is one of the pricier places in the area. However right now you can get some phenominal deals. (i.e. waterfront property that was $1.2 million four years ago going for $450,000 in a foreclosure. Some houses down around $150,000 - to $180,000 which was virtually unheard of a few years ago). There is not much shopping. It is a small town with mostly local businesses. Dining options are decent, but not great. People are terrific! I cannot imagine why anyone in the area would choose another place unless they just cannot afford Grosse Ile. (the exception would be a young couple or single with no kids - they would be better off in Wyandotte. Wyandotte is more fun, Grosse Ile is quiet)

If you had no kids, then Wyandotte would be an execellent choice. Wyandotte is one of the most overlooked gems in the Detroit Metro area. It is a terrific little city. One plus for Grosse Ile is proximity to Wyandotte.

Trenton is not bad and the schools are fairly good. The town is cute but somewhat empty. Some decent housing stock is avialable. they have a nice park (Elizabeth Park) and Frozen custard in the summer (yum!).

If you do not mind bland places with average schools, Riverview, Woodhaven, Southgate are all ok. there is nothing wrong with them, they are just pretty much suburban sprawl. No real downtown. Lots of newer subdivisions and some malls etc.

Even taylor is tolerable and although their schools are generally sub par, I have heard that they have decent special ed programs. Allen Park is not horrible either. It is certainly on par with Taylor. Allen park is pretty inexpensive.

Otherwise, aside from Grosse Ile or Trenton, your next best bet close to Trenton is going to be Dearborn or maybe Livonia.

If you want to drive as far as Livonia, you may as well throw canton, northville and Plymouth into the mix. Plymouth and Northville are wonderful towns with outstanding schools.

I like Gibraltar reaosnably well. Their schools are not great. There is not much of a town, but it is a nice place to live on the water.

I do not know a lot about Flat Rock, Newport, or Rockport I do nto visit the other places much. They do not have the best schools. I have never had a reason to go there, and I do not know very many people who live there. Flat Rock has a nice community center.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 08-21-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 04:31 PM

Thanks for such a quick reply. I have read your posts before about Grosse Ile and it does sound like a very easy place to live. How has real estate been in this area? I know it will take a while to sell here in WI but we're not ready to sell just yet. I know you have said before how friendly the people are and I look forward to that. We didn't see that here. Any info on RH or Lake Orion? I have been to both places and like them both but I would love to hear firsthand about these areas.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:35 PM

Does Hubby work for Chrysler? If so then you probably want to rent, not buy. Regardless, renting may be a better option at elast for a couple of years. Real estate values appear to be still falling and nothing sells. I know of houses that have been for sale for five years.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Rochester hills is nice. It is heavily built out with newer subdivisions, mostly McMansions. The nearby town of Rochester is a gem. The schools are quite good. Community events in RH and Rochester are very nice. I think that Rochester hills is a wonderful place, but I do not like the type of houswing or the lifestyle (subdivision living). But for people who like newer subdivision lifestyle, it is wonderful. You may find it a little bit competitive, but not really bad, and not quite snobby. I prefer Grosse Ile over Rh, but the housing issue influences me some and I like the really small schools in G.I. (under 700 in the high school), plus the hwole island thing is neat. RH is in an area that is generally more upscale. The surrounding communities range from nice, to uptight or even a bit snobby in some instances, but still very nice and most of the people are very nice. Nice people are everywhere in Michigan. They are a bit closed and suspicious at first, but once you get to know them, they are wonderful.

The downriver area (where Trenton and Grosse Ile are located) are much more blue collar with the exception of Grosse Ile which is a mix and includes everything from a few hud homes or cheap condos to a house that cost over $25 million. However it is safe to say that Gorsse Ile is mostly middle and upper middle class with a few blue collar types and afew multi millionaires thrown in for fun. Even the rich people tend to be friendly and considerate. At least in our experience.

I do not know anything about Lake Orion. If I drove through it, I did not notice. I have heard nothing about it and know no one who lives there.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:50 PM

Yes he does work for Chrysler but I don't always tell people that. We've heard enough nasty comments the past 6 months to last a lifetime. Renting would make complete sense but we have 2 dogs (labs) and not all places will accept them. I'm sure I can contact real estate agents about rentals and see what they say.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:57 PM

Nothing wrong with working at Chrysler, why nasty? It is just not very secure. That is a simple reality, but nothing to be nasty about.

My brother works for Chrylser in Auburn Hills. He lives in West Bloomfield, but he does nto like it. I am not sure why. It seems like a decent place to me. I like Rochester Hills a lot better.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:59 PM

By the wway, we found a rental with 2 huge dogs, a cat, and a myriad of smaller pets. We just had to leave a much larger security deposit. You are better off risking a few thousand on a large security deposit than losing tens or even hundreds of thousands on a house if you have to sell it in a hurry.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:27 PM

257 posts, read 550,335 times
I used to live near Lake Orion and it is beautiful! They have a fantastic lake and a very cute (albeit small) downtown with restaurants and boutique shops. It's not as convenient to other metro area activities as Rochester Hills, but you'll find all the modern conveniences along the M-24 corridor, such as Hollywood Market, pizza, fast food, etc etc etc. If you have any interest in lake living, it's great!

Rochester Hills is very nice too, the other posters have probably told you more than I know about it. I've gone there for shopping & dining (mainly Trader Joe's and the shops/restaurants on the other side of the Adams/Walton corner).

You might try Craigslist for some house rental ideas. There are also a lot of real estate offices that are also brokering home leases nowadays, so perhaps you could google for that?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:28 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,306,765 times
Hi syrnative....Coldjensens has given you a lot more information that I could but I've worked quite a bit in the Rochester/Lake Orion area (home improvement) and as far as housing goes I think you'd have a choice of suburban/McMansion to perhaps older homes in more rural settings. Once you get north of Rochester, there's a lot of open farmland and quite a few nice communities further up M-24 and M-53, like Almont, Romeo, Oxford. It depends on how close you want to be to Chrysler

No clue about schools but Wilson veterinary hospital in Romeo is very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit