Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 05:54 AM

4 posts, read 15,988 times

Advertisements

We're a family of 5 and plan to move to Detroit. We have a 17 and 13 year old boys and a 7 year old girl. We're expecting another boy soon.
I'd appreciate any information on recommended neighborhoods, schools, cost of living etc. We'll be seeking a 6 BR and a 5+ bathrooms homes.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 09:41 AM

31 posts, read 198,793 times
It really depends on your income level. I'm guessing if you are looking for a 6 Bedroom/5 bath house-- you have some money to spend.

I'd suggest the W. Bloomfield/Bloomfield Twp./Birmingham area. There are some really nice homes there, the schools are some of the best in the country and the neighborhoods are great.

I may be totally off base-- but coming from Israel, those areas may also appeal to you, because there is a large Jewish community there. There are many synagogues in this area of Metro Detroit and MANY businesses that cater to that segment of the population.

Good luck, and welcome to Michigan!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:49 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,595 times
I would keep away from Birmingham as there are not many houses that large in the town - the ones you find will have astronomical property taxes attached to them. You can still get Birmingham schools in cheaper areas such as Beverly Hills. Bloomfield is a good option as is Grosse Pointe if you're looking for something a little different.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:45 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,124 times
If public schools are not an issue, the Palmer Woods/ Sherwood Forest area of Detroit is possibly the best quality of construction and quantity of space for the money. Boston Edison is also good value, but is located in a worse part of Detroit.

With several men around the house I think that you will have a degree of safety in Palmer Woods (the neighborhood also pays for armed guards), which is a critical item if living within the city limits.

The upside is that you can get a 6+ BR well-constructed mansion there (from the 1920s) for under 400,000, possibly under 300,000.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:05 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,289 times
I would stay away from eastern Dearborn. There's a large muslim and Lebanese population there and I've talked to even the friendliest of muslims who absolutely despise Jewish people. West Bloomfield does have a very large Jewish population, and I think you'd like it. Now I'm not saying EVERYONE in east Dearborn is racist against Jewish people, but I just don't know how welcome you'd feel.

If you want a large house, I would look in Oakland county really. The Detroit suggestion was good, but the schools are not going to be good there.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:09 PM

35 posts, read 176,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
I would stay away from eastern Dearborn. There's a large muslim and Lebanese population there and I've talked to even the friendliest of muslims who absolutely despise Jewish people. West Bloomfield does have a very large Jewish population, and I think you'd like it. Now I'm not saying EVERYONE in east Dearborn is racist against Jewish people, but I just don't know how welcome you'd feel.
20% of Israeli citizens are Arab, so the opposite could apply.

Particularly if the women in the family wear head-scarves. You can't tell Jews on sight, and if you don't know somebody's race it's difficult to be racist to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
If you want a large house, I would look in Oakland county really. The Detroit suggestion was good, but the schools are not going to be good there.
There are some good public schools in Detroit, but the budget situation is pretty bad so it's a very uncertain time for the schools. So if they live in Detroit proper they'll probably pay go for private school for the little girl. The older boys would probably be fine with Cass or Renaissance.

Large houses are available in Detroit, proper, but probably won't have all the bathrooms the family is looking for. Americans just didn't build 5+ bathrooms in the 20s, when most of Detroit was built.

Oakland County's housing is pretty new, but even there 5 bathroom-houses are pretty rare.

When you said 5+ bathrooms did you mean 5+ full bathrooms? With a bathtub, shower, sink, and toilet? Or something else. 'Cause I'm having trouble figuring out why a family of 5 would need 5 full bathrooms.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Salary question

We don't need 5+ full baths. I'd be happy with 4 full and a couple of 1/2 baths.

As for economics - can a family like ours suffice with $120,000 per year? Can this cover mortgage/rent, 3 cars, private schools, household etc., or do we need more.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbii View Post
20% of Israeli citizens are Arab, so the opposite could apply.

Particularly if the women in the family wear head-scarves. You can't tell Jews on sight, and if you don't know somebody's race it's difficult to be racist to them.

There are some good public schools in Detroit, but the budget situation is pretty bad so it's a very uncertain time for the schools. So if they live in Detroit proper they'll probably pay go for private school for the little girl. The older boys would probably be fine with Cass or Renaissance.

Large houses are available in Detroit, proper, but probably won't have all the bathrooms the family is looking for. Americans just didn't build 5+ bathrooms in the 20s, when most of Detroit was built.

Oakland County's housing is pretty new, but even there 5 bathroom-houses are pretty rare.

When you said 5+ bathrooms did you mean 5+ full bathrooms? With a bathtub, shower, sink, and toilet? Or something else. 'Cause I'm having trouble figuring out why a family of 5 would need 5 full bathrooms.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:08 PM

I want my family to have a comfortable home and realy enjoy America. For this I wonder if a $120K per year is enough or should I plan to spend more?

Old 05-20-2007, 02:19 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,289 times
For a family of 5? I would say not enough at all.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:29 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,124 times
If you really want a mansion-style house (5+ ensuite bedrooms), and the public schools are not an issue, you may be one of the rare breed who can live in Detroit's remaining viable neighborhoods (Palmer Woods, Indian Village, Boston Edison).

The mansions were built for the truly wealthy, but the city has deteriorated around them, and you can purchase houses that cost over one million (in old dollars) then, for well under half that amount (in modern dollars) now. These grand homes could not be re-constructed for less than 3 million today.

As for the downside, local schools are probably not an option. Also, you need to be constantly vigilant about security. However, since today you can actually purchase a mansion for such a low price (and with the market what it is, feel free to lowball), I think that a total gross income of 120,000 might be enough.

If you buy a 500,000 house in the best old Detroit neighborhood, Palmer Woods, and put 100,000 down, you will have a 2800/ month mortgage. Plus another 1500/ month in tax and utilities, that totals 4300/ month housing costs (mostly deductible against federal income tax). That leaves around 3500/ month after tax for other items (cars, meals). I would advise saving at least half of that total for a rainy day fund and for home improvements, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit