U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 12,373 times
I highly recommend the Rochester area. It's beautiful and schools are great. My husband works in western Troy and the commute is not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 PM

77 posts, read 188,879 times
Thank you everybody for your replies. From your comments, this is the list of places I will do further research on.

Birmingham
Bloomfield Hills
Bloomfield Township
Franklin
Grosse Ile
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe Farms
Grosse Pointe Park
Grosse Pointe Shores
Grosse Pointe Woods
Harper Woods
Lyon Twp
Milford
Northville
Plymouth
Rochester
Royal Oak
South Lyon
Sterling Heights
Taylor
Troy - east
Troy - west
Utica
West Bloomfield Township

Thanks!

Seems like every area I search on has a related "township". What is the relation to these? Are they located within? Some areas are significantly different in terms of crime and home values than their related townships. Thanks.

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2010 at 02:40 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 AM

5 posts, read 8,708 times
The grosse pointes, bloomfields, troy, and birmingham, royal oak, rochester are going to be horrible $/sq ft, even on foreclosures, just an FYI. Lowest priced foreclosure in those areas is still going to be $150k and up. If you're commuting to troy, i would say Utica, Sterling Heights, Washington Twp, Clinton Twp, Macomb. I live in Utica and i love it.

Last edited by TechEmergency; 01-07-2010 at 09:14 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 10:44 AM

15,820 posts, read 31,023,728 times
I would suggest taking taylor off the list and if schools are a conern, then probably Royal Oak and Sterling Heights as well. However you can get school data online pretty easily. But you need to factor in what you want from schools other than statistics. Size and atmosphere may play a huge factor and you might find that when you factor that in, you like schools with lower stistics better. You need to go visit the schools to get a feel for the atmosphere and talk with parents, kids etc.

You have a lot of work ahead of you. When we did this it took us 2 years and we still were uncertain about our choice. Now four years later, we are happy with our choice, but still look at some of the other areas that we considered and wonder if it would have been better in some ways.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 AM

15,820 posts, read 31,023,728 times
A township is an unincoorporated area that nevery became a city. Sometimes there is no related City (For Example, Grosse Ile is only a township, that is all that there is). Sometimes the township is the remaining area that was not included when a place became a City. (Redford and Redford Township for example). Redford actually ended up becomming part of Detroit but redford Township remained seperate and is therefore nicer.

The City of Plymouth and Plymouth township is a good example. Plymouth is a small city. Plymouth township is the outlying area around the city. It is rural or master planned subdivisions. There is no town. Lyon township is a huge area that includes several villiages (like New Hudson). Grosse Ile stayed a township. It is not the normal so many acreas or square miles becuase it is a group of islands. Grosse Ile was originally part of some other township on the mainland, but separated into it own political entity without becoming a city. Althought there is a dowtown of sorts there is no City of Grosse Ile. It is all part of the township.

Originally a township was a specified area designated by a number of acres or miles (I forget which). Thus, the group of farms and villiages within a certain square is all part of ____ township and they elect their own townsip supervisors to govern their area and handle imprvements, etc. When a villiage in a township grew into a city, it became its own political entity, but the township continued to exist outside the boundaries of the City.

Sometimes multiple cities grew out of a single township and the township ceased to be since there was no outlying area left between the cities. Sometimes a city is formed, and the outlying unincorporated area continues to include multiple villiages or areas that have their own name. Other times a villaige has an independant name (like Salem), but it does nto seperate from the township. tus, Salem is still just part of Salem Township. Salem is not the city of Salem.

Thus plymouth township is the area outside of the City of Plymouth that was not included when Plymouth incorporated. (Note: Plymouth Township was half a township. The original township split in half long ago - you can find this on the City of Plymouth website I think).

Crime rates and housing values vary generally becasue the townships are rural. Without a concentration of people, there is usually less crime. Further, the towns or cities tend to have smaller houses than the homes out in the country. The township homes often have much larger lots or acreage. Furhter a lot of newer subdivisions are built int he townships, because there is no more room for building int he towns or cities. Thus you will often find lower prices in the cities or towns because the homes are smaller. However sometimes, the city is really popular and you are lucky to live in town and the homes will cost more if they are actually in the city (Plymouth and Northville for example).

Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,106,311 times
If you look at Harper Woods, look east of 94. It's basically Grosse Pointe Woods except houses are half the price because the address says Harper Woods and not Gross Pointe. Plus you are in Grosse Pointe school district. Only difference between the two is Harper Woods has a lot more blacks or what the people on this forum refer to as an undesirable population.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
My favourite areas in Metro Detroit are Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township, Birmingham, and Franklin.

I agree.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 AM

16 posts, read 23,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
Thank you everybody for your replies. From your comments, this is the list of places I will do further research on.

Birmingham
Bloomfield Hills
Bloomfield Township
Franklin
Grosse Ile
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe Farms
Grosse Pointe Park
Grosse Pointe Shores
Grosse Pointe Woods
Harper Woods
Lyon Twp
Milford
Northville
Plymouth
Rochester
Royal Oak
South Lyon
Sterling Heights
Taylor
Troy - east
Troy - west
Utica
West Bloomfield Township

Thanks!

Seems like every area I search on has a related "township". What is the relation to these? Are they located within? Some areas are significantly different in terms of crime and home values than their related townships. Thanks.
Franklin
Grosse Ile
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe Farms
Grosse Pointe Park
Grosse Pointe Shores
Grosse Pointe Woods
Harper Woods
Lyon Twp
Milford
Northville
Plymouth

These are all going to be a bit of a hike from Troy. But the others on the list will be fine.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 AM

205 posts, read 354,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
If you look at Harper Woods, look east of 94. It's basically Grosse Pointe Woods except houses are half the price because the address says Harper Woods and not Gross Pointe. Plus you are in Grosse Pointe school district. Only difference between the two is Harper Woods has a lot more blacks or what the people on this forum refer to as an undesirable population.
What's wrong with Harper Woods west of 94?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:35 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,106,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kknndy View Post
Franklin
Grosse Ile
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe Farms
Grosse Pointe Park
Grosse Pointe Shores
Grosse Pointe Woods
Harper Woods
Lyon Twp
Milford
Northville
Plymouth

These are all going to be a bit of a hike from Troy. But the others on the list will be fine.

The Grosse Pointe area is only 15-20 minutes from Troy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit