U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2009, 05:06 PM
 
12 posts, read 115,724 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

Hello,

I am trying to factor in my total living expenses, and whereas taxes add greatly to the costs, I am also trying to determine what utility bills costs theses days. I am sure it is less in the spring / fall, but with winter in effect, what can I expect to pay for a 2 or 3 bedroom home. I like to keep the heat at a comfortable level of say 70 degrees. I know there are many factors, however, I would be interested in a ball park figure for gas / electric costs.

Thank you all in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Status: "FEAR won in 2014." (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Mid-Town
7,617 posts, read 10,281,883 times
Reputation: 5229
Our 1600 square foot 1 1/2 storey bungalow averaged $350 per month in winter (gas and electric) kept at 67 degrees and using an auxillary ceramic heater in Redford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 11:30 PM
 
282 posts, read 739,352 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyt1me View Post
Hello,

I am trying to factor in my total living expenses, and whereas taxes add greatly to the costs, I am also trying to determine what utility bills costs theses days. I am sure it is less in the spring / fall, but with winter in effect, what can I expect to pay for a 2 or 3 bedroom home. I like to keep the heat at a comfortable level of say 70 degrees. I know there are many factors, however, I would be interested in a ball park figure for gas / electric costs.

Thank you all in advance for your input!
My 1100 sq ft bungalow costs me about 130 a month for gas & electric. Ave temp, 72-73. Depends if the wind is blowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 02:52 PM
 
59 posts, read 183,696 times
Reputation: 109
$150/mo 1800sq ft tri-level with wood insert fireplace. We keep the heat on 65
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Michigan
23 posts, read 180,396 times
Reputation: 16
It depends on the house, how well insulated it is, how good the windows are in keeping out drafts and letting out heat.

In my 1,000sq ft bungalow my gas bills are in the neighborhood of 300.00+ and I keep the thermostat between 63-66. Usually it only goes up to 66 when I have company or if it is windy and too cold in the bathroom to take a shower. I have 3 oil filled space heaters that are used to heat the bedrooms and the electric cost is around 120.00. My windows need to be replaced and additional insulation is needed for the walls. I have a boiler that needs to be repiped, and according to some sources that should give me a little more gas efficiency when the job is completed.

I don't know how in the world Zakian has such a low utilities bill, unless he/she lives in Florida or some such warmer region.

All in all, it does depend greatly on the house and how energy efficient it is. A friend of mine had her house built several years ago, a bungalow with an apartment below. 2 kitchens, 2 baths, and I don't know how many bedrooms in the whole place. She installed a hot water baseboard system in her home and can control the temperature in every room. Her heating bills run about $200.00 a month at around 70 degrees. The hot water is the most efficient heat and if you can find it in a home you are considering, go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 06:42 AM
 
282 posts, read 739,352 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyt1me View Post
Hello,

I am trying to factor in my total living expenses, and whereas taxes add greatly to the costs, I am also trying to determine what utility bills costs theses days. I am sure it is less in the spring / fall, but with winter in effect, what can I expect to pay for a 2 or 3 bedroom home. I like to keep the heat at a comfortable level of say 70 degrees. I know there are many factors, however, I would be interested in a ball park figure for gas / electric costs.

Thank you all in advance for your input!
Well it's gonna very from month to month. Sometimes when it's -20 you're gonna pay more than if it's +30.If your funds are that tigh I suggest you get another job or stay where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Michigan
23 posts, read 180,396 times
Reputation: 16
Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsie View Post
It depends on the house, how well insulated it is, how good the windows are in keeping out drafts and letting out heat.

In my 1,000sq ft bungalow my gas bills are in the neighborhood of 300.00+ and I keep the thermostat between 63-66. Usually it only goes up to 66 when I have company or if it is windy and too cold in the bathroom to take a shower. I have 3 oil filled space heaters that are used to heat the bedrooms and the electric cost is around 120.00. My windows need to be replaced and additional insulation is needed for the walls. I have a boiler that needs to be repiped, and according to some sources that should give me a little more gas efficiency when the job is completed.

I don't know how in the world Zakian has such a low utilities bill, unless he/she lives in Florida or some such warmer region.

All in all, it does depend greatly on the house and how energy efficient it is. A friend of mine had her house built several years ago, a bungalow with an apartment below. 2 kitchens, 2 baths, and I don't know how many bedrooms in the whole place. She installed a hot water baseboard system in her home and can control the temperature in every room. Her heating bills run about $200.00 a month at around 70 degrees. The hot water is the most efficient heat and if you can find it in a home you are considering, go for it.
Since I had the steam boiler repiped, my gas bill is about 1/2 what it used to be and I keep it between 68-70. I have been paying under 200.00 a month even in the coldest months and especially last year 2011 when we had the coldest winter I ever remember.

Also have storm windows and that helps a ton. I did just have an energy test done and added insulation to the attic last fall. My house rates a 34 as far as efficiency, and I was told for a house like mine that is terrific. New homes range 24 or so is what I was told, and I do have some storm windows that need to be replaced, and some that have only 1 storm window and 1 screen, where I would need 2 windows and a screen. I wonder how much of a difference that would make if I had the storm windows done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 PM
 
1 posts, read 59,686 times
Reputation: 12
(BasiksGirl)Im trying to figure this out. Ilive in a three bedroom house in show low az. We don't use the heater we use the fire place for winter. We cook from 1:00pm to 4:00pm-9:00pm to 6:00pm. Those r the power saving times. we don't use any lights during the day. We take showers once a week. And we pay r rent to the people that own the home. We have not seen one proof of a bill. And the bills are $1000. A month. I'm not buying it. Please help me figure this out. Were being ripped off aren't we??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 07:19 PM
 
1,445 posts, read 2,548,343 times
Reputation: 978
Gas prices are not cheap in MI in my experience, even though natural gas is at a 3 year low in terms of prices. Electric rates continue to increase in Michigan. It's as never-ending situation. When that fails, they add all kinds of surcharges, fees, etc., to the bill. My electric usage is only 1/3 of the bill. Everything else is surcharges and fees and taxes. Get ready for high and higher electric bills.

Last edited by xz2y; 02-01-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 PM
 
1,445 posts, read 2,548,343 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by basiksgirl View Post
(BasiksGirl)Im trying to figure this out. Ilive in a three bedroom house in show low az. We don't use the heater we use the fire place for winter. We cook from 1:00pm to 4:00pm-9:00pm to 6:00pm. Those r the power saving times. we don't use any lights during the day. We take showers once a week. And we pay r rent to the people that own the home. We have not seen one proof of a bill. And the bills are $1000. A month. I'm not buying it. Please help me figure this out. Were being ripped off aren't we??
You should ask to see the electric bill. That should be standard for anyone renting and not having a separate electric meter. Your electric, if divided with the landlord, should be based on square footage, and should have been agreed upon when you signed your lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top