U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,425 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Detroit but my husband is seriously being considered for a transfer at his job to the area. I've heard things over the years but remain open-minded.

The little research I've been able to do so far has uncovered "Indian Village," "Palmer Woods," "Gross Pointe" and "Troy"

If we do come, we would probably be most comfortable in an area with others like us: 20's, 30's and 40's. Like going out with stuff to do.

Any ideas? I know my search so far must be missing out on what the metro area has to offer. Please let me know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 07:07 PM

542 posts, read 943,818 times
royal oak sounds like the type of area you might be looking for. in my opinion it is one of the best, if not the best areas to be in in the metro area, obviously thats just my opinion.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 PM

7,709 posts, read 10,517,811 times
Yeah, if you enjoy social activities around towm Royal Oak is probably the place.

Troy is a suburn north or Detroit (about 25 miles?)

Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 PM

3,085 posts, read 3,740,988 times
Do you want the suburban subdivision lifestyle? Then places like Troy, Rochester, and Canton Twp. fit the bill. If you want an artsy place with lots of clubs and restaurants, Royal Oak would be good. If you want to live in an historical neighborhood inside the city limits of Detroit, then Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, or Indian Village would be good.

The Detroit metro area covers everything from dilapidated ghettos to world class suburbs with multi-million dollar homes that house celebrities and professional athletes, to working class blue collar towns, to waterfront mansions. You will have to decide exactly what kind of living experience you are looking for and narrow it down from there. Do you like waterfront property? Do you want a big yard? Do you want to be close to the professional sports venues? Are good schools a must? If you let us know what some of your preferences and interests are, we can be of more help to you.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 PM

866 posts, read 2,840,320 times
Royal Oak is nice but you might outgrow it to quickly, especially if you have a family.

I would look into Troy and the Grosse Pointes, they are two very different suburban cities, but both have a lot to offer.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,884,884 times
Royal Oak is wonderful, and surprisingly nice if you have a family, very pedestrian friendly.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 11,122 times
I just found this site. My husband and I are also anticipating relocation from Wi. to Detroit. We are interested in having a bigger yard (we have three dogs) while being within 15 or 20 minutes from nice restaurants, etc. We have two horses and will be looking for a decent boarding facility without having to drive an hour one way. Too much to ask?? Thank you all.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 AM

15,819 posts, read 32,492,749 times
Where will you be working? DO you have kids? Do you want a place to keep your horses on your property, or boarding only? How many good resturuants and how nice? What do you consider nice? (Some people consider Applebees nice and others consider PF Changs a bit cheap).

Old 01-20-2010, 01:47 PM

54 posts, read 91,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaP58 View Post
I just found this site. My husband and I are also anticipating relocation from Wi. to Detroit. We are interested in having a bigger yard (we have three dogs) while being within 15 or 20 minutes from nice restaurants, etc. We have two horses and will be looking for a decent boarding facility without having to drive an hour one way. Too much to ask?? Thank you all.
We'll also need to know the city he will be working in and an acceptable drive-time to/from work. Kids?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:16 PM

4 posts, read 11,122 times
Thank you for responding.My husband works for Chrysler and will probably go to the Jefferson North site. I am a personal trainer and will be looking for a fitness facility that may be hiring. We will board our horses, hopefully at a facility that accepts stallions (we have one). Doesn't matter the discipline as long as people are nice and care is good. We really don't eat out much as we're economical but do like sushi and meals that are chef prepared. We love bicycling (prefer off road) and love auto cross. In other words, we're pretty active but cheap too. We will be empty nesters with kids in college and we are in our 40's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit