Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:03 AM

429 posts, read 971,618 times

Advertisements

I think this question is geared more to those who live in Detroit or frequent it often. But maybe others will have had experiences and know as well.

What non-profits or groups or organizations are actually doing and making a positive difference in Detroit and for Detroit? Which ones are really doing what they started out to do and following their mission statement.

(I'm kinda hoping for responses from people who actually have first hand (or second hand)knowledge that a group is doing good in the city and for the city. Not that you heard about such and such group on your local news and the reporter said they are great so they must be great )

An example of a group doing good for the city is the Detroit Mower Gang. They are totally legit and are doing what they set out to do. I follow them on fb. And have message with the founder of it on a couple of occasions about parks that needed to be mowed and his group took care of the one I was concerned about. Great group and great group of people that are part of it. Here is one of many articles on the group. Mow-town! Meet the gang that kicks Detroit's grass | HLNtv.com

Anyone else know of any groups doing any good in Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Try googling "people making a difference in Detroit". I did, and there were way too many links to begin to post here. There are a lot of people flying under the radar who are doing amazing things for Detroit every day.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:28 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
The folks at the Cass Community Social Services are doing great things.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:57 PM

429 posts, read 971,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Try googling "people making a difference in Detroit". I did, and there were way too many links to begin to post here. There are a lot of people flying under the radar who are doing amazing things for Detroit every day.
I understand that there are lots of groups who say they are doing something for Detroit and I'm sure a google search would turn up hundreds is not thousands of results. But like i stated in my original post

"(I'm kinda hoping for responses from people who actually have first hand (or second hand)knowledge that a group is doing good in the city and for the city. Not that you heard about such and such group on your local news and the reporter said they are great so they must be great "

Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Problem: people don't know about this stuff because the corporate media doesn't consider it important enough for their attention and profit. Because such efforts are "underground", curious citizens must dig deep or network others for such info. Maybe the helpful responses to this thread should be injected into the news cycle or published in an "underground guide".

Old 07-17-2014, 09:21 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
detwahDj, you crack me up! It's not some conspiracy by the "RW media" to cover up these groups. These organizations exist in all communities and are not "news".

Old 07-17-2014, 09:52 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Write A House seems like it's trying to do something good. I hope I get a house through them! I really want to become a resident.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
detwahDj, you crack me up! It's not some conspiracy by the "RW media" to cover up these groups. These organizations exist in all communities and are not "news".
By "not news" you simply mean that you yourself don't give a damn. Glad I crack you up - must be doing something right.
You seriously are unaware of what motivates tabloid news institutions? It is not "news and information" for the public good. Try to think it out.
Is Miley Cyrus big news in your book? The information which the OP requests would be something constructive and beneficial for us to know - and worthy of a database for people who actually care and might want to get involved - therefore it is also worthy of a blurb or two in the news cycle.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 07-17-2014 at 10:43 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
By "not news" you simply mean that you yourself don't give a damn. Glad I crack you up - must be doing something right.
You seriously are unaware of what motivates tabloid news institutions? It is not "news and information" for the public good. Try to think it out.
The information which the OP requests would be something constructive and beneficial for us to know - and worthy of a database for people who actually care.
The information is readily available as canudigit pointed out. I can think of several off the top of my head. No news media is going to repeatedly cover these groups. People know these organizations exist everywhere and are not unique to Detroit (except maybe those that are targeted toward crime reduction). People are more interested in news media reporting tragic events (which happen to be more prevalent in, but not exclusively in, Detroit).

Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Is Miley Cyrus big news in your book? The information which the OP requests would be something constructive and beneficial for us to know - and worthy of a database for people who actually care and might want to get involved - therefore it is also worthy of a blurb or two in the news cycle.
No, I don't care about Miley Cyrus. I've seen blurbs on these organizations in the news, but you can't expect "breaking news" or front page stories on how Focus Hope trained another worker or how Gleaners fed another family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: