U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,994 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

My hubby and I are contemplating moving to Dearborn from Orange County, California for his job. Of course, the winter weather will be different *duh* but we've talked to several friends that used to live in CA and have since moved east/north, and I was surprised that all of them said that the cold is really not that terrible. Eventually, you get used to it being 16 degrees in February instead of 65 like it is today (sorry, had to gloat!) What we've been told is the real problem for folks like us that are not used to having a "real" winter season is the "gray-ness" in the winter - that the sky is gray, the snow is dirty gray, etc. Even if the sun is out that day, the sky is not blue. Is this true?

This may sound like a small consideration, but we have so may other pros and cons to sift through we just want to get a clear picture of what we may be getting ourselves into. We are huge into outdoor activities (we even eat our breakfast outside if it's nice) and we fear that a lack of "nice days" will be demoralizing.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Last edited by leslielu; 02-03-2010 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,985,664 times
If there is enough snow, it doesn't get dirty until the end of the season when it starts to warm up and the roads are slosh. That's when you want to make sure you carry plenty of windshield wiper fluid in your vehicle. We seem to have had an inordinate number of grey days this year. I can't think of many winters when we have had so few sunny days, but when it is sunny, the sky is blue, most definitely.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 PM

4,851 posts, read 8,382,002 times
We have winter days where the sky is as blue as blue! Check out this link to another thread here on the Michigan forum:

How's Your Snowfall....

We do have a lot of grey days in the winter though, but not many in the summer, and fall is absolutely glorious. A lot of it too, IMHO, has to do with your surroundings. If you live in a nice neighborhood with well kept homes, winter is tolerable. And hey, at least you don't have to cut grass or pull weeds for four or five months out of the year!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 PM

29,448 posts, read 71,120,091 times
We moved from OC to S.E Michigan 4 years ago. I posted a list on here somewhere that lists what we found better here and better there. It is a push depnding on how you prioiritize. If you are computer clever (I am not) you cna probably find that list.

The hardest thing to adjust to about winter is not the cold. It is the lack of sunshine. However some things about winter are glorious.

You must learn to embrace winter and look forward to it. Otherwise, you are just getting by wiating for spring for half of your life. THat is miserable.

My wife likes the weather here better. I like the OC weather better. (She says OC weatehr is boring - here one thing the weather is NOT is boring).

I still work there sometimes and go back and forth. A week or two ago, it was one degree colder there than it was here (I was in Ontario at the time).

If you sold your house in CA, you are not going to believe what you can buy here withthe money that you have. The difference is astounding.

Everything is a little bit cheaper here except for car insurance, some foods and your natural gas bills. (But very little cost for AC). Real property tax is the same I think, but sales tax, income tax are lower. No Mello Roos anywhere!

Another thing that you will have to adjust to is mosquitoes. They come out in clouds in some places. BEtween about 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. you just stay inside or latehr up heavily with DEET.

You will find several posts from me about the differences, but one of them lists everything that we came up with as a family shortly after moving.

If you are working in the downriver area, look at Grosse Ile. We absolutely love it. I am happy to give you some suggestions about where to look for a home. We spent 2 years looking at different areas before we moved and I know SE. Michigan pretty well (I grew up here then moved to OC for 18 years and then came back ,and I get out and explore a lot).

By the way, you will never see a sky so blue as on a clear winter day. It is exhilerating. And No June Gloom here either (no smog too).

Old 02-03-2010, 05:46 PM

Just noticed you are looking at Dearborn. Definitely look into Grosse Ile.

If it is too expensive, then look at Dearborn, Livonia, Trenton, Wyandotte if you do nto have jkids (bad schools), Southgate, Woodhaven and Riverview are not bad either in a dull subruban sprawl sort of way. Nice people all over Michigan. Takes a while to get "in" with them, but they will do anything for you.

maybe even Plymouth or Northville, but that is a bit of a drive.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM

I second the Grosse Ile recommendation. It is a wonderful community, and there are some homes on the water there that are absolutely spectacular. Even if you can't afford waterfront property (I sure can't, some of those houses are over a million dollars!) then there are many nice, family-oriented neighborhoods on the island too. It is only a drive over a very short bridge to the mainland and only a couple of minutes to I-75 which will take you to the Dearborn area within 15-20 min. tops.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I second the Grosse Ile recommendation. It is a wonderful community, and there are some homes on the water there that are absolutely spectacular. Even if you can't afford waterfront property (I sure can't, some of those houses are over a million dollars!) then there are many nice, family-oriented neighborhoods on the island too. It is only a drive over a very short bridge to the mainland and only a couple of minutes to I-75 which will take you to the Dearborn area within 15-20 min. tops.

Many of those formerly over a million dollar houses are now selling for 400 -500K. .

I think it takes a bitlonger for some parts of dearborn. It takes ourdaughter at least half an hour to get to U-M Dearborn. Maybe 40minutes if you include parking

Old 02-09-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Many of those formerly over a million dollar houses are now selling for 400 -500K. .

I think it takes a bitlonger for some parts of dearborn. It takes ourdaughter at least half an hour to get to U-M Dearborn. Maybe 40minutes if you include parking
Still out of my price range, unfortunately.

Your daughter goes to U of M Dearborn? So does our son. He absolutely loves it there. I'm surprised that it can take 40 min. to get there from Grosse Ile! We live in Dundee, and it takes our son just about 40 min. from all the way out here. Of course, it's nice because it's all expressway: 23 to 94 to the Southfield, so it isn't stop and go at all.

Our son hasn't found the parking situation there to be too bad yet, but this is just his first year and he has been fortunate so far in that he only has to drive there a couple of days a week and then it's been during non-peak hours.

U of M Ann Arbor would be closer for our son, but they don't offer his major, if you can imagine. I think that U of M Dearborn is one of Metro Detroit's best assets.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 AM

4,121 posts, read 8,270,442 times
Its not the cold...its the (mostly) cloudy, gloomy winter days. Unfortunately, in this area of Michigan we do not get much snow, and it gets kinda boring. You will have to learn to like it, or at least find outdoor activities so you can tolerate the winter or else you will go crazy. But.....Spring, Summer and Fall in Michigan CANNOT be beat!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:15 AM

Actually, what I find interesting is that the Pacific Northwest, particularly cities like Seattle and Portland, experience grey skies pretty much year round, and yet people still consider them hip, desirable places to live.

I was watching an episode of "House Hunters" on HGTV last night, in which a young, single guy was looking to buy a condo in Portland. One of the condos that he looked at had grey paint in most of the rooms, and he commented that he didn't like it a lot, because "Portland is already grey outside everyday of the year." So, I realize that they don't get as cold of winters, or nearly as much snow, but why does it seem like people talk about how grey the winters in Michigan, and the Upper Midwest in general, are, when there are other parts of the country that deal with the gloom year round? I actually know people who left this are to go to Seattle, only to come back because it was "so depressing" there. At least we have bright, sunny summers and falls.

Interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit