Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 11:18 PM

35 posts, read 114,304 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to the midwest (back to the midwest for her), and we are looking at metro Detroit, as her father lives in Southfield and her sister is in Redford. We want to be close enough, but not too close to them.

Looking at the Pointes, as I most likely would be looking to work at Selfridge (we are both Social Workers by trade)...

The rub is that I am white, she is black... we have two children, a boy and a girl... how are race relations there? How are interracial families regarded?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 02:15 AM

378 posts, read 974,341 times
Having grown up in the Farms - I would think you'd have no issues in this regard. Populations on the east side have been shifting over the last 30 years and inter-race relations no longer carries the stigma it once held. GP in 2010 is not the GP from 1960 and as long as you're a good neighbor you'll find the Pointes full of other good neighbors like yourself. I used to live in the cabbage patch for a while and the couple next door was a black girl and white guy. We got along brilliantly since they were nice and courteous etc. The white couple on the other side were jerks and I hated them. Long story short: keep a clean house, be nice, contribute to the expanding diversity in the area and I think you'd be just fine.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 PM

93,209 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsi View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to the midwest (back to the midwest for her), and we are looking at metro Detroit, as her father lives in Southfield and her sister is in Redford. We want to be close enough, but not too close to them.

Looking at the Pointes, as I most likely would be looking to work at Selfridge (we are both Social Workers by trade)...

The rub is that I am white, she is black... we have two children, a boy and a girl... how are race relations there? How are interracial families regarded?
You might like Royal Oak or Ferndale better as that area seems to be a bit more "open minded"/"liberal". Harper Woods might be good, as it is a bit more diverse and some parts are in the Grosse Point School District.

Mount Clemens and St. Clair shores might be a good choices too.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:05 PM

35 posts, read 114,304 times
Thanks for the responses so far... I had originally liked what I found in Palmer Woods as far as the houses, but the Pointes seem to offer a lot as far as 1) public schools, 2) the private parks, 3) the kind of houses we really like, and also 4) a sense of being able to let your kids ride bikes and walk close places...

Just from looking on realtor.com, it looks like I'd like to be in GP Park, but closer to the Lake (i.e. significant distance from Mack)...

Coming from Scottsdale, it seems that the Pointes offer houses like Palmer Woods but with public schools like Scottsdale...

@ckh: Do you know if those other cities offer the same as far as schools, sense of neighborhood, and security? My sister in law actually graduated from Royal Oak HS a couple of years ago, IIRC... I will definitely look at Harper Woods as well, as the schools are a big part of the draw to GP. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsi View Post
Thanks for the responses so far... I had originally liked what I found in Palmer Woods as far as the houses, but the Pointes seem to offer a lot as far as 1) public schools, 2) the private parks, 3) the kind of houses we really like, and also 4) a sense of being able to let your kids ride bikes and walk close places...

Just from looking on realtor.com, it looks like I'd like to be in GP Park, but closer to the Lake (i.e. significant distance from Mack)...

Coming from Scottsdale, it seems that the Pointes offer houses like Palmer Woods but with public schools like Scottsdale...

@ckh: Do you know if those other cities offer the same as far as schools, sense of neighborhood, and security? My sister in law actually graduated from Royal Oak HS a couple of years ago, IIRC... I will definitely look at Harper Woods as well, as the schools are a big part of the draw to GP. Thanks!

Harper Woods is much more accepting of multi racial couples than the pointes. I'm white and my fiance is mixed and we live on the east side of Harper Woods in the Grosse Pointe school district. The neighborhood is well kept and looks just like Grosse Pointe Woods. Without any sign, you don't even know when you cross the border. The bonus to living in Harper Woods is homes are cheaper because the address doesn't have Grosse Pointe in it, and taxes are a little cheaper. The disadvantage is people look down upon you.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:09 PM

93,209 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Harper Woods is much more accepting of multi racial couples than the pointes. I'm white and my fiance is mixed and we live on the east side of Harper Woods in the Grosse Pointe school district. The neighborhood is well kept and looks just like Grosse Pointe Woods. Without any sign, you don't even know when you cross the border. The bonus to living in Harper Woods is homes are cheaper because the address doesn't have Grosse Pointe in it, and taxes are a little cheaper. The disadvantage is people look down upon you.
Pretty much the reasons why I thought about Harper Woods. Except for the last sentence, of course.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Pretty much the reasons why I thought about Harper Woods. Except for the last sentence, of course.

The last sentence is true though. You don't have the same status attached to your name if you don't have Grosse Pointe in your address. I'm very surprised Harper Woods turned down the opportunity to change their name to Grosse Pointe Heights.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:52 AM

970 posts, read 2,967,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
The last sentence is true though. You don't have the same status attached to your name if you don't have Grosse Pointe in your address. I'm very surprised Harper Woods turned down the opportunity to change their name to Grosse Pointe Heights.
They can call it whatever they want. It would still probably look the same. There's different status levels throughout the Pointes. For example, Grosse Pointe Woods residents are looked down upon by residents of Grosse Pointe Park. Putting 'Grosse Pointe' in the name won't change the quality of life in the city.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
They can call it whatever they want. It would still probably look the same. There's different status levels throughout the Pointes. For example, Grosse Pointe Woods residents are looked down upon by residents of Grosse Pointe Park. Putting 'Grosse Pointe' in the name won't change the quality of life in the city.

It'll change the outsiders perceived status of Harper Woods. Are you insinuating there is something wrong with the quality of life in Harper Woods? I chose Harper Woods over Grosse Pointe Woods for the quality of life. Same house, same neighborhood, same schools, just a quarter of the price. If my house was about 20 houses down the street it would've cost at least 50k more. I essentially get the Grosse Pointe lifestyle for a quarter of the cost. The only cost is people will call me an undesirable population or degenerate.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:17 PM

205 posts, read 653,567 times
Yeah, whats wrong with the quality of life in Harper Woods?

Harper Woods considers cul-de-sacs to cut crime | freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20100214/NEWS02/2140471/1320/Harper-Woods-considers-cul-de-sacs-to-cut-crime - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit