U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 60,812 times

Advertisements

What are the worst areas in Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 05:09 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,283,305 times
According to your profile, you live there - what would you consider the worst parts of the city?

I'm sure someone is going to waltz in here and say "all of it." Ha.
I haven't seen much of the city that appeals to me, but the Eastern Market is great. Otherwise it all seems fairly unremarkable and depressing.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:03 PM

622 posts, read 2,037,926 times
all of it.

ha ha ha

i live there now- so i had to be the one to say it. its true. dont move there.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:02 PM

800 posts, read 3,114,672 times
If you're talkin' Detroit proper, I'd have to vote for the Cass Corridor as the worst area in Detroit.

I love Detroit. I don't live there now, but I visit to go to concerts, eat at the cool restaurants, etc. It's on the upswing now, don't you think? Lots of good, positive things happenin' despite what else is going on with the state's economy.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:18 PM

yeah, it was great to see everyone here at superbowl! the city was bustling, everyone was in great spirits, i hope to see that again someday!

Old 09-23-2006, 10:57 PM

33 posts, read 321,975 times
Question Which suburb of Detroit is the safest??

Hello,
Can anyone tell me which suburb of Detroit is the safest. I know Detroit is not very safe. How are the roads in both Detroit and the suburbs of Detroit? Please let me know. Does the Detroit Metro plow good in the winter? Is Sterling Heights, Utica, and Warren also safe area too?
Thanks!
Chris

Old 09-24-2006, 01:06 AM

sterling heights is supposedly one of the safer suburbs. troy was ranked the safest community in MI last year (i work at a local news station, we did a story on it). royal oak, birmingham: trendy but expensive and very safe.

warren and roseville are reasonably safe, unless you get too close to 8 mile. madison heights and clawson are reasonably safe, too. these 4 areas are livable and affordable, but not what i would consider "nice" or "beautiful."

utica- i dont know. hazel park, mt. clemens/parts of clinton twp, southfield, oak park, are all too questionable for me to live there.

ferndale is unique and my fav suburb- though not considered super safe, i'd still feel comfortable living there. berkley is safe, nice area, affordable.

northville, walled lake, wixom, those areas seems safe but out of the way.

i hear livonia is safe.

dont know about the others.

roads in winter: i'm from even further north, so i'm used to bad roads. so they seem fine to me, but most people complain. i am used to driving in feet an feet of snow... so i'd ask someone else on that one.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:20 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,451,259 times
Hamtramck and Highland Park are pretty safe...J/K

Old 09-24-2006, 11:05 PM

36 posts, read 7,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
sterling heights is supposedly one of the safer suburbs. troy was ranked the safest community in MI last year (i work at a local news station, we did a story on it). royal oak, birmingham: trendy but expensive and very safe.

warren and roseville are reasonably safe, unless you get too close to 8 mile. madison heights and clawson are reasonably safe, too. these 4 areas are livable and affordable, but not what i would consider "nice" or "beautiful."

utica- i dont know. hazel park, mt. clemens/parts of clinton twp, southfield, oak park, are all too questionable for me to live there.

ferndale is unique and my fav suburb- though not considered super safe, i'd still feel comfortable living there. berkley is safe, nice area, affordable.

northville, walled lake, wixom, those areas seems safe but out of the way.

i hear livonia is safe.

dont know about the others.

roads in winter: i'm from even further north, so i'm used to bad roads. so they seem fine to me, but most people complain. i am used to driving in feet an feet of snow... so i'd ask someone else on that one.
I live in Royal Oak and we are considering a move. The city is no longer family friendly, schools are closing left and right, and they can't even pass a millage to repair the carpet.

We're seriously considering leaving the state due to the horrid job outlook and massive unemployment. However if we do stay, I would choose Petosky Michigan over anywhere else - that place is coming up big. But the wife won't tolerate northern winters, so that is out.

Next on the list if we stay is Berkley, progressive, fantastic schools, still reasonable housing, SAFE (in fact much safer than even Royal Oak) and much more family oriented than Royal Oak will ever hope to be.

The people that seem to enjoy Royal Oak most are people that don't even live here, the people that live here want things different than they are, but nobody is listening. The result? Large scale family-flight out from the city.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:49 PM

I wouldn't live in royal oak, i would prefer berkley as well. more family life than trendy night life. more affordable. prob my best pick for SE michigan, that and ferndale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit