Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

Hamtramck/Dearborn housing styles...anywhere else similar in Metro Detroit?

Additionally, anyone know the name of that type of housing....the common type that seems to be all over in those neighborhoods? When were they built, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 07:01 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
I think the housing stock in Hamtramck is on average quite a bit older and different from Dearborn.

Hamtramck pretty much grew up all at once during the first decade of the auto boom in the 1910s, and consists I belive they might be called workers cottages now often used as two-story apartments maybe.

Dearborn grew up over a longer period of time with the first boom happening in the 1920s and 30s, and later again in the postwar era from the mid 40s through the early 60s.

The 20s and 30s was a popular time for bungalows, mock-tudors, and cape cods. While the late 40s through the 50s, brick ranches were popular. Of course there also a handful of Victorians I'm sure in the oldest section of Dearborn.

I could be a little off, but hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,488 times
Bungalows were popular in the 50's and 60's. My bungalow was built in 1951. I know Highland Park has a lot of Craftsman styled homes like in the movie Gran Torino. When you venture to the outer areas of Detroit like 7 Mile and Gratiot you'll see a lot of bungalows which were post WWII. Also cities like Harper Woods and Eastpointe that were developed post WWII are loaded with bungalows. In areas developed in the 60's like Northern Warren, St Clair Shores etc you'll see more ranches. Sterling Heights also had a boom in the 70's and has a lot of ranches.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:45 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Bungalows were popular in the 50's and 60's. My bungalow was built in 1951. I know Highland Park has a lot of Craftsman styled homes like in the movie Gran Torino. When you venture to the outer areas of Detroit like 7 Mile and Gratiot you'll see a lot of bungalows which were post WWII. Also cities like Harper Woods and Eastpointe that were developed post WWII are loaded with bungalows. In areas developed in the 60's like Northern Warren, St Clair Shores etc you'll see more ranches. Sterling Heights also had a boom in the 70's and has a lot of ranches.
This is a great housing topic in general.

What kind of houses are those found in Royal Oak? They seem different from other places, what are those called?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:13 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This is a great housing topic in general.

What kind of houses are those found in Royal Oak? They seem different from other places, what are those called?

Not really too familiar with Royal Oak. When I was house shopping, I looked at one home in Royal Oak between 14 and 13 mile near the Madison Heights border and they were mostly bungalows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit