U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 PM

5,229 posts, read 7,767,658 times
Default Dateline special on Detroit

I am surprised a thread hasn't been started on this yet. Just curious what are your thoughts on the special? I think Sam Riddle came off as an idiot. But then again, not surprising considering everything that has been happening.

Do you think it defined Detroit as it is today or was way off base?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 07:33 AM

15,820 posts, read 30,869,110 times
Typical media hype. Focus on the extremes and create the appearance that the whole area is duplicative of the extremes.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Typical media hype. Focus on the extremes and create the appearance that the whole area is duplicative of the extremes.
Interesting. I was expecting some extreme reporting because that has been the trend but this reporting I felt really did not go to extremes. I felt it was realistic. What parts did you think were extreme?

Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM

150 posts, read 217,555 times
I felt so sad when I watched this. It's like watching your parent die. Detroit was and still is important to me. So sad to see what's happened to it.

Susie

Old 04-20-2010, 09:08 AM

2,973 posts, read 3,532,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I am surprised a thread hasn't been started on this yet. Just curious what are your thoughts on the special? I think Sam Riddle came off as an idiot. But then again, not surprising considering everything that has been happening.

Do you think it defined Detroit as it is today or was way off base?
LOL, look up "idiot" in the dictionary and chances are, you will find a picture of Sam, and probably one of Kwame too.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:42 PM

902 posts, read 1,044,796 times
I think the reporting wasn't so harsh because of Chris Hansen who's a Michigander and worked for many years at Channel's 7 & 4 here in Detroit and understands better of our situation . It could of been worse if they sent some numbskull who doesn't have a clue .

Old 04-20-2010, 05:24 PM

7,548 posts, read 9,991,948 times
Finally, my new neighbors truly understand from whence we came.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 PM

363 posts, read 504,104 times
I saw clips of it, not the whole thing. In the end, it was just another piece showing nothing but the negativity about Detroit, and making sure that it WAS all negativity. Its really something else. Funny thing is downtown Detroit is actually safer than many other big city downtowns, outside of downtown it is very crimeridden but still, I was amused they were referencing how dangerous it is when its actually downtown is much more visually appealing than it was years ago. And to even HINT about the area as a whole (references to the "metro Detroit area") is ridiculous, because if you wanna go outside the city limits, the Detroit area has just about the nicest collection of suburbs anywhere in the country.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
I saw clips of it, not the whole thing. In the end, it was just another piece showing nothing but the negativity about Detroit, and making sure that it WAS all negativity. Its really something else. Funny thing is downtown Detroit is actually safer than many other big city downtowns, outside of downtown it is very crimeridden but still, I was amused they were referencing how dangerous it is when its actually downtown is much more visually appealing than it was years ago. And to even HINT about the area as a whole (references to the "metro Detroit area") is ridiculous, because if you wanna go outside the city limits, the Detroit area has just about the nicest collection of suburbs anywhere in the country.
Actually there were positive parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit