Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 PM

267 posts, read 1,033,446 times

Advertisements

Is there a role model city for Detroit to follow? Or Detroit must find its own way out of this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 24,676 times
Detroit is dead; just let it rest in peace.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:14 PM

272 posts, read 724,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemarcon View Post

Disagree.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:58 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Anything "CAN" be done.

The question is "WILL" the folks with power and status in Detroit allow it to happen.
Why wouldn't they? All it's going to give them is more power and status. Nobody in Metro Detroit has ever benefited by hurting the city, except possibly the Purple Gang.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:35 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Why wouldn't they? All it's going to give them is more power and status. Nobody in Metro Detroit has ever benefited by hurting the city, except possibly the Purple Gang.
That's not true at all. People (unions, politicians, etc.) does stuff that hurts their municipalities all the time. In California, why would the state employees get paid so much while taxes on the citizens go through the roof?

Look at what the Federal Government is doing. Almost everything they do is bad for the country, yet they keep doing it. Running $1T+ annual deficits is pretty stupid, as are massive tax hikes.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:11 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
Detroit will not recover because it is the type of place that attracts and retains the lowest common denominator of society. Typically, the ones who stay are too poor to leave. The one that have the means to leave tend to do so. The populace there thoroughly expects the government to provide for them, as if the money just magically gets created out of thin air. Detroit is the cancer of Michigan. And it's not just Detroit, there are plenty of people in the surrounding areas sitting around collecting unemployment checks while not looking for work. If this area had people with actual solid values and honest work ethics, without the gross sense of entitlement, and maybe a bit more educated, then I believe things could improve. But you can't change an entire mass of people. And if they continue to look for handouts, as they will, taxes will remain high. And businesses won't want to come here. Not that they would anyway, considering how lazy and ignorant the labor pool is.

ha I can afford to leave, and have, I lived in florida for a while. I know a couple of people who have returned from many different places as well as some who have left and plenty who left and want to return. Funny part is a guy from Harlem just tried to "holla" lol while I was walking out of Oslo (downtown). When I asked "why here and not back in NY it must be better there" surprisingly he looked at me crazy and said no. Poor people whether in NY or Detroit are still POOR!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemarcon View Post

you know I really started to say something very negative towards you but then I realized just like the rest of the idiots out here you are probly the type to hate the city so much you obsess over it! foolish people have nothing to do but sit back and TALK about Detroit. Do something about then!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:23 AM

whats so funny to me about outsiders who talk about why people leave Detroit don't have a clue. Take it from a DETROITER plenty of those who leave WANT to come back. Its MI as a whole. The economic situation, the crime etc. Those who believe Detroit is the ONLY place with crime stop reading C-D and go on a Detroit news site and look at all the crime going on in PLENTY of other counties and cities in MI. MI is probably the ONLY state with more than 3 cities that always manage to make the murder rate list, some even passing Detroit smh. FLINT, benton harbor, detroit, saginaw etc My cousin lives in Holt right outside of Lansing and used to live in Lansing and said they are killing more than here! crazy! They might not talk about it in the media but it does not mean it isn't true. Besides that most people I know personally who live in other cities STAY coming back to Detroit.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:43 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
no

( i used to live in reborn height just off ford hwy, my cousin live in highland park)

Old 06-15-2014, 05:53 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Detroit can rise again... But not like it was.

Why? There is no need.

Detroit boomed because incredible manpower was needed to stoke the furnaces of the car industry. Everything was manual, and the US supplied cars to THE WORLD.

Because of modern building techniques that require far fewer people and logistics and transportation that are dispersed yet more efficient, there will probably never be the need for anywhere near as many people to drive the car manufacturing industry - even if it all did go home to the city.

Detroit's future lays in bringing in a cavalcade of other smaller, but more modern industries. Someone just has to figure out what they are and start them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit