Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:27 PM

465 posts, read 527,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Man, you beat me to saying that! It's exactly what I was going to post! With his attitude he's the type that has his guard down so far that he'll become a victim. His story will be on the news. You are so right! He's clueless and those type of people are the ones that often become the victims of all the crime.

Jeff, if you think that there isn't a crime problem with the city of Detroit I urge you to turn on the local news each evening for the next month. Or better yet, contact the Detroit Police Department and see what they say. LOL
yeah keep ya snobbish butts up above 16 20 mile...wherever...i have no problem with white people, but it's your type I can't stand. People who have never been in the city, they just come to the sports games. You people wanna live up there, but complain when we won't give you access to our water. Here:

Crain's Detroit Business

Boy, they are in danger of getting murdered. Doesn't seem like they have a problem at all. Better warn them of the awful troubles that befall them in the city!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Wow, I guess I better let everyone know not to believe their own eyes and experiences. Anything else we should take at your word?

Sorry, not trying to flame you, but it's obvious to everyone but Helen Keller that Detroit is filled to the rim with crimes and various issues. But posts like yours make it sound like that's all there is to Detroit, and my experience, as well as many others, says otherwise.
and funny I've lived right in the heart of the city of detroit, and the one time I go to Sterling Heights, my car gets broken into. You darn suburbanites!! Damn you!!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:55 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,178,948 times
Quote:
Man, you beat me to saying that! It's exactly what I was going to post! With his attitude he's the type that has his guard down so far that he'll become a victim. His story will be on the news. You are so right! He's clueless and those type of people are the ones that often become the victims of all the crime.
Like you know a thing about me! Having lived in several different metropolitan areas, including the most crowded state in the union--California--I am careful to watch my back at all times, no matter where I am.

Quote:
Jeff, if you think that there isn't a crime problem with the city of Detroit I urge you to turn on the local news each evening for the next month. Or better yet, contact the Detroit Police Department and see what they say. LOL
Can you read? This is case in point, RWF, of what I am talking about. Here's what I said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
it's obvious to everyone but Helen Keller that Detroit is filled to the rim with crimes and various issues. But posts like yours make it sound like that's all there is to Detroit, and my experience, as well as many others, says otherwise.
So in response you say...

Quote:
Jeff, if you think that there isn't a crime problem with the city of Detroit
What you and those like you lack is the ability to see beyond your own perceptions of what is, rather than what actually is. (Something you like to acuse me of doing, but see above.)

Old 08-14-2007, 05:49 PM

937 posts, read 2,825,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
and funny I've lived right in the heart of the city of detroit, and the one time I go to Sterling Heights, my car gets broken into. You darn suburbanites!! Damn you!!
Sterling Heights has a big problem with vandalism and larceny. Always reading about it in the paper. Idiots...

Old 08-14-2007, 08:03 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,725,266 times
Jeff - I know your type. You go to the tourist areas in Detroit (like all the white people do) and then you tell everyone that it's safe down there. You are dillusional at best. I have lived in several states as well and I've spent a lot of time visiting the LA area. Detroit is the worst and has the biggest nastiest burned out ghetto area out of all of them. There's no comparison.

Detroit has been routinely rated the second most dangrous city in the country. There's a reason for that. And some argue that the crime rate has went down. It's only because the population is continously declining. Less people means less crime.

You are big talker that is still green about the city. You'll learn, I hope it's just not with a baseball bat upside your head or by being carjacked at gun point. But you will learn. You are talking big about a city you don't really know.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Jeff - I know your type. You go to the tourist areas in Detroit (like all the white people do) and then you tell everyone that it's safe down there. You are dillusional at best. I have lived in several states as well and I've spent a lot of time visiting the LA area. Detroit is the worst and has the biggest nastiest burned out ghetto area out of all of them. There's no comparison.

Detroit has been routinely rated the second most dangrous city in the country. There's a reason for that. And some argue that the crime rate has went down. It's only because the population is continously declining. Less people means less crime.

You are big talker that is still green about the city. You'll learn, I hope it's just not with a baseball bat upside your head or by being carjacked at gun point. But you will learn. You are talking big about a city you don't really know.
Of course he goes to the tourist areas!! Who comes to Detroit and says "let's go straight to the ghetto!!" No wonder you people are afraid. You're going straight to the ghetto. I don't know how you get there, but you do. I mean, nobody goes to L.A. and tries to go to Compton, or nobody goes to Jersey and says let's go to Camden. People go to chicago, L.A., NY, etc to go the the statue of liberty, 5th avenue, lakeshore drive, and venice beach. Nobody actually tries to go to the ghetto silly person.

Fact is, you are part of the large group of sheeple out there who watch the news and sees some murder stories in a city of over 800,00 and claim that the city is dangerous. You've probably never spent more than five minutes down here. I live right downtown, and it's one of the safest areas I know. Notice most of the crazy crimes and rape occur in the burbs. A perfect example was a post I read on detroit yes forums talking about how someone's friend called them and told them that they had heard of a brand new place in runwon detroit called campus martius. He said he never heard of it. It's amazing the ignorance of you people and the bubble that you like to stay in. I guarantee that the burbs will kill themselves due to overcrowding in small areas. Pretty soon, your little burbs will turn into bigger towns and cities and have the same problems.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,946,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine3 View Post
Reconmark-
I got courage, patience is still iffy. Now all I need is a brain. Will you lend me....oh never mind.
Cherry and jeffncandace-
Keep living in your fantasy world, and we will be hearing about you on the 11:00 news.
Good of you to come back. Don't worry about the patience, it will come with time and even then it won't be enough once you get caught up in the topics.

I think at many times you and I will be on opposite ends of the race issue and the situations that exist in se mi.

However, the most important thing is that we continue to talk, respect, and communicate.

When people do that, sometimes the bad black people may not seem all bad.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:00 AM

975 posts, read 1,395,538 times
I would like to chime in here being an individual who was raised in a family that was very indoctrinated to what I will call the "SE Michigan" way of thinking. I moved out when I was 10 (I am 22 now) but my entire extended family lives either in the suburbs or up North. To give a little history about my background my mother grew up in Hazel Park and then moved to Wayne graduating from Wayne Memorial High School. My dad grew up in the city in the area of 8 mile and Fairport and graduated from Osborn High School. As my parents married they moved to Sterling Heights, Warren, and finally Clarkston before leaving Michigan totally. Anyways, back on topic. When RedWingsFan states that the majority of people who grew up in the area feel the way she does, she makes a good point. Except, in my experience, the region is more segmented than is being let on here. In addition to the well documented segregation/feeling about African Americans many white metro Detroiters also feel similarly about people who are of Jewish, Arabic, and countless other races. I cannot even begin to count the number of times relatives or friends of the family have stated that they would not want to live in Sterling Heights due to it being "overrun by Arabs" or my one aunt who will not eat at any fast food restaurant due to the reason that she feels that the people behind the counter and preparing the food will be "dirty blacks." We do not even want to talk to another aunt of mine who believes that all Jewish women are "Jewish American Princesses" and my cousins who almost universally believe that people who are black are automatically equated with criminals. I've been instructed several times by different relatives to state that I was born in Michigan and omit any reference to being near Detroit as Detroit is a "dirty word." I attended such a diverse elementary school in the suburbs that the only non white students I remember were of a 1/2 Arabic family. I also cannot even begin to count the number of times relatives at Christmas have had debates about how racist the University of Michigan was for awarding "points" to applicants who applied who were black over white applicants.

All I can say is that I am glad that I moved out of that environment when I was 10 and moved into a very diverse area around Washington, DC where I went to a majority minority middle school. My eyes were opened up to the fact that everyone is a whole lot more similar than different and that the differences should be embraced and pointed out that my relatives/friends of the family all have a "warped" sense of reality. I then moved to the Phoenix area and now live in Tucson where many times I am in the minority but in all of these areas different races seem to be able to coexist MUCH better than in the Detroit area and there are many more mixed neighborhoods where I am almost certain that having minorities living next to white people does not adversely affect property values. Diversity only has its positives.

The only way that Detroit can recover is when the majority of the people in side of the city and outside get aside their differences. I now that a VERY LARGE portion of the people in the suburbs do feel like RedWingsFan that a black next door neighbor would adversely affect their property values. They also feel that they will be shot if they venture into the city and they also feel that the "bad" areas are encroaching further north. While I believe that this is a "warped" point of view and is an impediment to progress, being a native Michigander I understand it being surrounded by people who preach the EXACT SAME view as RedWingsFan. It is this viewpoint that impedes the redevelopment and revitalization of the city as the native whites are afraid to go into the city (outside of downtown) and the native blacks don't trust the native whites. What Michigan needs are more "enlightened" people who have lived elsewhere and have seen races coexisting such as Jeff. I would love to move back to Michigan but if I do move back to the Midwest it will likely be to Chicago as it offers the diversity that I desire and the type of environment that I would much rather raise my children in.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,178,948 times
Quote:
Jeff - I know your type. You go to the tourist areas in Detroit (like all the white people do) and then you tell everyone that it's safe down there.
Like detmi7mile said, why would I be going to the hood? Silly girl. So yes, in the areas of Detroit that I care to frequent, I have found it to be quite safe thus far. Like in any populated area, and due to Detroit's reputation, I find it prudent to keep an extra eye out.

Quote:
You are dillusional at best. I have lived in several states as well and I've spent a lot of time visiting the LA area. Detroit is the worst and has the biggest nastiest burned out ghetto area out of all of them. There's no comparison.
I would like to point out to everyone who reads this that I have been declaired dillusional by an avowed racist, when in just about every post of mine about Detroit I have said, over and over and over again, that Detroit is FILLED with crimes and various issues. So who's dillusional?

I would LOVE for you to find a post of mine where I paint a utopian picture of Detroit. Please RFW, justify your irrational hatred of yet another fellow human being because they are different than you--as a racist, you're quite good at this. Find 1, just 1, post of mine where I state that Detroit is just perfection personified.

Quote:
Yes, we all know the statistics. Again, Brick Wall, Detroit has many many problems.

Quote:
You consider me a big talker because I disagree with your ignorance of reality and I'm not afraid to say so. I don't know what it is you're expecting me to learn. I'm not heading to the hood to buy crack, my ventures into Detroit are where most tourists/white people go. My experience, and those of people I actually know in real life, like my co-workers, is that you should keep your wits about you at all times but that there are things to go and do and see in Detroit. Not every square inch of Detroit is Cracktown. And that's reality. You are condescending quite a bit for someone who doesn't even live here right now. I was just in Detroit last week. Were you?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:13 PM

40 posts, read 364,666 times
I'll repeat what's been said a thousand times already, WE ALL ADMIT DETROIT HAS A CRIME PROBLEM! But just like any other city, Detroit has good and bad parts. And while the bad areas outnumber the good ones, it's wrong to make one big blanket statement about the city.

Last edited by Marka; 08-18-2007 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: edited quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit