U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,712,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I am one of those evil suburbanites who like the Metro Detroit area and the region in general but hate the City of Detroit itself because it is a ****hole. This viewpoint is completely legitimate because many of the suburbs are nice but the City itself has been horribly mismanaged, it's filled with crime, and the people of Detroit keep electing corrupt government officials. (Why is Carolyn "Buttcheeks" Kilpatrick even a viable candidate for U.S. Congress?)
First off Im going to ask you nicely to not come in here with all that negativity. Don't come in here calling my city a ****hole. Secondly you honestly think Detroit people vote these people in??? lol you obviously DON'T know what your talking about most people in the city don't even vote...which is equally as bad....but the residents are far from responsible for putting these people in office. Besides that majority of cities in America has had plenty of bad politician. Are there any good ones? lmao

Quote:
The City of Detroit drags down an otherwise nice metropolitan area and offers far fewer vocational and economic opportunities for people who live in the region. I think we all wish that we could magically swap out the City of Detroit itself with Minneapolis, Portland, or Seattle..
Once again a "fool" like in the title, trying to make the burbs seen as something they are not. Yes some of Metro Detroit is nice but plenty of Suburban cities aren't much themselves. Roseville/Eastpointe/Harperwoods-atlthough nice neighborhoods its really nothing there, Warren is only half decent. those trailors and the "hood" areas look worst than Brightmoor lmao. Hazel Park looks like crap as well. Southfield is filled with ghetto people. Dearborn has a rep for being a racist city. From what I hear Ecorse and Rouge are bad. I've been to Inkster and its just as bad as the city. Even though West Bloomfield is nice they recently just let a million dollar project sit because of lack of funding. Now how are all the burbs so much better???

Quote:
As a matter of fact, no. There really isn't an organized or even a cultural conspiracy passed on from parents to children to keep Detroit down. If you really believe that, you're delusional; it's all in your head.
  • Did people from the suburbs tell teenage girls to have children (babies having babies)? No.
  • Did they tell poor women to have children they couldn't afford to take care of? No.
  • Did they tell people to abuse drugs? No.
  • Did they tell people to commit acts of theft and violence? No.
  • Did they vote for the horrible government officials who helped run the City into the ground? No.
  • Did they tell the students not to learn how to read? No.
I think the rationale for that sentiment is along the lines that the City needs to completely collapse and empty out so that it can be razed to the ground and rebuilt.
Actually there are people from the burbs (I've even met some) who have been told all there life they are better from their parents/grandparents who were in involved in the white flight. Hence why I mentioned it. You're the delunsional one smh. As for all the "problems" you pointed out don't even act as if that's strictly a Detroit thing. There are poor women everywhere with children they can't afford, there is violence in plenty of cities and bad government.

Quote:
People will always seek out a better life for themselves. No one wants to sacrifice their interests on the altar of Detroit (or for any other city). It might be more productive to ask why people left Detroit and the region. I mean, would you want to invest in the City of Detroit when people like Kwame Kilpatrick are running the show and when the residents vote for that kind of scum?.
Kwame is long gone....NEXT!

Quote:
Such as? Is there another U.S. city with a similarly-sized metropolitan population that is in nearly as bad shape as Detroit?.
Um Chicago, New Orleans, St Louis, Newark, Baltimore, DC, ATL, Miami etc. Most of these cities have crime just as bad and even worse. High AIDS rates, NO has both high crime and bad politics as well as most of its Metro and that is prior to and post Katrina. DC has the highest AIDS and one of the worst public school districts and is the nation's capital???? As we speak Chicago IS a warzone. Not even half way into the year they are over the 100 murder mark. 17 murders in 3 days???? Are you serious. Many ppl say Baltimore is nice in some areas and in others just like the Wire. ATL has a high crime rate as well. Hell even NYC was off the hook for the past couple of years with the crooked cops killing off people. But all of these cities get some type of "glory"????

Quote:
The City of Detroit will not improve unless the economy of the State of Michigan improves, and that will not get better unless the U.S. economy improves. Even if the U.S. economy improves, the state of Michigan might not improve. Michigan is now widely regarded as being a backwards state with a horrible business climate and one of the nation's most pathetic anchor cities.
WRONG! in order for a state to survive the "big city" has to flourish

Quote:
I highly recommend that you try to distance yourself, mentally, from the City of Detroit and consider the possibility of living in other cities and other states. Michigan is dying. After you graduate, you should give serious consideration to fleeing the entire region..
Why???? Don't tell me what the hell I "should" do! you do you and I'll do what the hell I want....if you don't like it well you can.......well you know

Quote:
If you want to help the City of Detroit, figure out a way to:
  • Completely eliminate serious crime;
  • Put an end to babies having babies and adult women having children they cannot afford to care for;
  • End all drug use;
  • Improve educational achievement;
  • Root out and end all corruption in the city government.
I don't think it's ever going to happen.

You never completely wipe out crime. There is always going to be crime. As long as there is welfare there will always be young women having babies. End drug use???? Sweety there are wealthy people in rich cities in nice homes with nice cars and good educations etc that do more drugs than inner city people as a whole. There are people who make millions and go home a do a line. Direct yourself to the DPS website.....and lastly most politicians are corrupt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Just a quick comment about White Flight.

Detroit residents really need to stop feeling like they are inferior to white people and need white people in order to have a good city. They would be better off adopting the attitude, "The white people fled, good riddance, we're better than them, and we don't need them!" Instead of lamenting the loss of white people, they should try to focus on raising the smartest children and eliminating crime and drug use. In other words, they should try to focus on becoming the highest quality group of people in the world living in the cleanest and most-crime-free city in the world.

Honestly I can care less if white people move back or not. I want Detroit to stay a majority black city. I have nothing against white people either. If they want to move back, which many have, I don't care either way. I mentioned the white flight because of the post I've read on here.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
The Bhaalspawn message was pretty much right. Detroit simply is not a viable investment for most ventures. It isn't completely about Kwame Kilpatrick, though. People have simple desires, sometimes, like for their stuff to not be stolen, and for an ambulance to come when they are sick. (I know, the 'burbs are often little better, but there's the perception.) Also, is Detroit really Michigan's anchor city? If someone were to ask me the center of commerce in Michigan, I'd probably say Troy.
There's no vast Macomb County conspiracy to keep the city down. People vote with their wallets and if they don't want to pay 3% in income taxes and something like $60 per thousand in property taxes, they're not going to. If they want schools where all the children learn to read and write, then they'll go where all the children learn to read and write. It's things like that that Detroit doesn't offer, and the free market is punishing it, the same as how people couldn't stand K Mart or Farmer Jack and started going to Target and Kroger, and we all know what happened to K Mart and Farmer Jack.

cities become places to invest because someone INVESTS lol. Tell that to compuware, kerns, at&t,chase and other companies who have put a headquaters downtown within the past couple of years. The thing about the school system is it WAS ran by the wrong people and had very bad funding....hence why parents didn't enroll their children in DPS. I went to DPS and I can read and write lol. Actually, like I mentioned in another thread, I went to a school in hamtramck for a year and the kids were BEHIND!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
In my small Kentucky town of 20,000, a suburb, predominantly white, lower than the national average in every crime, a high school principal blew up his own house to collect insurance money and a 13 year old girl was beaten to death with a baseball bat in a public park.

Your point?

Bad things happen all over, all of the time.
THANK YOU! people act as if crime is only in Detroit smh. maybe they don't watch the news

Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 PM

20,660 posts, read 22,846,894 times
Well...mine isn't "negativity." It's all based on reality.

Having lived inside the city limits and taught in several schools as well.

Been in there and seen that as they say.

Let's see how many nice things we can say about Brightmore? Maybe the Conant area around City Airport? How about SW Detroit near Clark Park? Patton PArk? Gotta have one positive about McNichols and Myers, right?

Didn't property values at Livernois and Fort just increase recently?

SUre there are isolated areas like Virginia PArk, New Center Area and even the brownstones near Comerica Park--where wanna be urbanites have moved from the burbs.

But hey, didn't Forbes just say that the "new" frontier is the abandoned cities?

Folks from the burbs are moving into Detroit to escape the GANGS that have contaminated places like Van Buren Township, Romulus, Inkster, Dearborn Heights, Taylor, and even Southfield.

The NEW WHITE FLIGHT will be those leaving the burbs and going URBAN?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:15 PM

5,897 posts, read 6,973,415 times
Quote:
I am one of those evil suburbanites who like the Metro Detroit area and the region in general but hate the City of Detroit itself because it is a ****hole. This viewpoint is completely legitimate because many of the suburbs are nice but the City itself has been horribly mismanaged, it's filled with crime, and the people of Detroit keep electing corrupt government officials. (Why is Carolyn "Buttcheeks" Kilpatrick even a viable candidate for U.S. Congress?)

The City of Detroit drags down an otherwise nice metropolitan area and offers far fewer vocational and economic opportunities for people who live in the region. I think we all wish that we could magically swap out the City of Detroit itself with Minneapolis, Portland, or Seattle.

As a matter of fact, no. There really isn't an organized or even a cultural conspiracy passed on from parents to children to keep Detroit down. If you really believe that, you're delusional; it's all in your head.
  • Did people from the suburbs tell teenage girls to have children (babies having babies)? No.
  • Did they tell poor women to have children they couldn't afford to take care of? No.
  • Did they tell people to abuse drugs? No.
  • Did they tell people to commit acts of theft and violence? No.
  • Did they vote for the horrible government officials who helped run the City into the ground? No.
  • Did they tell the students not to learn how to read? No.
I think the rationale for that sentiment is along the lines that the City needs to completely collapse and empty out so that it can be razed to the ground and rebuilt.

People will always seek out a better life for themselves. No one wants to sacrifice their interests on the altar of Detroit (or for any other city). It might be more productive to ask why people left Detroit and the region. I mean, would you want to invest in the City of Detroit when people like Kwame Kilpatrick are running the show and when the residents vote for that kind of scum?

Such as? Is there another U.S. city with a similarly-sized metropolitan population that is in nearly as bad shape as Detroit?

The City of Detroit will not improve unless the economy of the State of Michigan improves, and that will not get better unless the U.S. economy improves. Even if the U.S. economy improves, the state of Michigan might not improve. Michigan is now widely regarded as being a backwards state with a horrible business climate and one of the nation's most pathetic anchor cities.

I highly recommend that you try to distance yourself, mentally, from the City of Detroit and consider the possibility of living in other cities and other states. Michigan is dying. After you graduate, you should give serious consideration to fleeing the entire region.

If you want to help the City of Detroit, figure out a way to:
  • Completely eliminate serious crime;
  • Put an end to babies having babies and adult women having children they cannot afford to care for;
  • End all drug use;
  • Improve educational achievement;
  • Root out and end all corruption in the city government.
I don't think it's ever going to happen.
Your post is dead on, you have laid out the truth in a very straight forward way. The responses to this truth have been, "oh there is crime in other cities" or "too much negativity". Facts are there are few places in America that have a crime rate per capita compared to Detroit, and like it or not the story of Detroit is very very negative and depressing. Detroit is a dead city, a rotting core dragging down the entire state of Michigan. Detroit is a lawless place of anarchy and an anything goes world. I have never seen the kinds of ruins anywhere that I have seen there. My grandparents and great grandparents lived there thier whole lives and their neighborhoods are literaly GONE, nothing but foundations and ruins. Only the downtown has value, the rest of the city is a complete wasteland. The only way to prevent this rotting city from further damaging our state is for the State of Michigan to revoke the cities right to govern itself, send in the national gaurd and restore order by force. Im talking marshall law, curfues, forcing thier children back into the schools and off the streets. They will never clean up that sewer voluntarily, so they should be forced at the point of a trooper/gaurdsmens gun to do it. They are ruining the rest of the state, and they do not have the right to do that to us. In my opinion they gave up the right to govern themselves when they allowed the current level of crime and anarchy to exist there for as long as they have. (at least 30 years) Even the police, and city officials are often linked to crime, (Kwame lol). In a place like that, you cant be sure the police are really the good guys, because so often its proved they are not. I dont think we should allow a third world city to exist in the corner of our state.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,637,927 times
good things happen in detroit. they are doing alota garden projects there now.
but people keep thinking about thre 400 million of fed money poured down a rat hole.
not good.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Your post is dead on, you have laid out the truth in a very straight forward way. The responses to this truth have been, "oh there is crime in other cities" or "too much negativity". Facts are there are few places in America that have a crime rate per capita compared to Detroit, and like it or not the story of Detroit is very very negative and depressing. Detroit is a dead city, a rotting core dragging down the entire state of Michigan. Detroit is a lawless place of anarchy and an anything goes world. I have never seen the kinds of ruins anywhere that I have seen there. My grandparents and great grandparents lived there thier whole lives and their neighborhoods are literaly GONE, nothing but foundations and ruins. Only the downtown has value, the rest of the city is a complete wasteland. The only way to prevent this rotting city from further damaging our state is for the State of Michigan to revoke the cities right to govern itself, send in the national gaurd and restore order by force. Im talking marshall law, curfues, forcing thier children back into the schools and off the streets. They will never clean up that sewer voluntarily, so they should be forced at the point of a trooper/gaurdsmens gun to do it. They are ruining the rest of the state, and they do not have the right to do that to us. In my opinion they gave up the right to govern themselves when they allowed the current level of crime and anarchy to exist there for as long as they have. (at least 30 years) Even the police, and city officials are often linked to crime, (Kwame lol). In a place like that, you cant be sure the police are really the good guys, because so often its proved they are not. I dont think we should allow a third world city to exist in the corner of our state.

this post is so ignorant I couldn't even read past the fourth line. One: how can a city be dying with over 900,000 residents???? an increase from the under 800,000 in only one year???? how can a city be dying with people continuing to build apartments, homes, lofts etc. Also revamping whole neighborhoods???? or companies steadily putting buildings in the downtown??? please tell Andiamo,Compuware,Kerns,At&t,Chase Bank and the many other companies that its depressing here and oh so negative. Tell that to the foundations and people who continue to build homes and apartments and lofts here......now there is some truth for you

Old 05-14-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
oh and how much do you be in the city???? most of the development is actually further in the city NOT the downtown. Most of the new homes and revamped areas are in areas that were basically gone 3 & 4 years ago......wasteland huh???

Old 05-14-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Well...mine isn't "negativity." It's all based on reality.

Having lived inside the city limits and taught in several schools as well.

Been in there and seen that as they say.

Let's see how many nice things we can say about Brightmore? Maybe the Conant area around City Airport? How about SW Detroit near Clark Park? Patton PArk? Gotta have one positive about McNichols and Myers, right?

Didn't property values at Livernois and Fort just increase recently?

SUre there are isolated areas like Virginia PArk, New Center Area and even the brownstones near Comerica Park--where wanna be urbanites have moved from the burbs.

But hey, didn't Forbes just say that the "new" frontier is the abandoned cities?

Folks from the burbs are moving into Detroit to escape the GANGS that have contaminated places like Van Buren Township, Romulus, Inkster, Dearborn Heights, Taylor, and even Southfield.

The NEW WHITE FLIGHT will be those leaving the burbs and going URBAN?
as far as SW goes there is a program (south Detroit) that has built up plenty of new homes in the southwest area. Brightmoor,Osborn comm, Northend are all neighborhoods that are main priorities for Next Detroit. There is a lot of stuff happening that people leave out. For instance revamping the Ferry st homes in midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or