U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:32 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,706,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I just call it like I see it. Detroit is my city too. Whether I like it or not, the suburbs and the state itself are inexorably tied to the City of Detroit and part of my identity is that of someone who grew up "in the Detroit area". I even root for the Lions and bleed Honolulu Blue...
Like I said don't come on here with that. A city you hate is "your" city too yea whatever smh

Quote:
You have a good point. But still, shouldn't some responsibility for a city's or a nation's politicians fall on the electorate? I think it's a shame that Bush was elected to a second term and that the two candidates in the last election were Obama and McCain, but I blame the American people for that. I really do think that we have the politicians we deserve. (For the record, I voted for Obama and I like his personality and demeanor but wish he were more of a nationalist when it comes to international trade policy.)..
Many people did vote for Obama including myself. So in that case yes Americans got what they asked for BUT most people in the city do not vote for these people. Kwame first term...yes...second term...uh not so much. Just like many people did not vote for Bush the second term.

Quote:
I agree that some of the suburbs are rotten too. But many if not most are a better place to live than the City of Detroit...
Some? most of Metro Detroit is not what people make it seem. Highland Park? Hamtramck? Roseville? Eastpointe? Harperwoods? Hazel Park? Southfield? Dearborn? Rouge? Ecorse? Inkster? Pontiac? Taylor? Warren? (lmao) Redford? lol that's MOST of the Metro area right there and those cities are either nice neighborhoods but nothing in it really or just as bad as the city! an "otherwise nice metro" yea right. The only cities I can see people WANTING to live in Metro Detroit rather than any other city period are Troy, Royal Oak, St. Clair Shores, Grosspointe or Livonia...other than that Im so good. Oak Park is "ok" but as a black person I wouldn't live there.

Quote:
OK, if you say so I'll take your word for it. My family never told me that I was better because I lived in the suburbs and I can't say I have heard anyone else express that sentiment...
Ok and that's your family....but there are some out there

Quote:
Unfortunately, it isn't strictly a Detroit thing. It's just more common in Detroit...
Show me the stats on it being way "more common" than anywhere else. I lived in FL for two years, visit GA a lot because I have family all over GA, Family all over Chicago and its metro as well, LA too and trust its just as common in these places smh

Quote:
You're right. Point taken. I think that makes Detroit one of the worst though and not the worst. Still, Chicago and DC have something going for them. They both have very active and healthy business districts and DC has the federal government and even some areas where the middle class lives...
Chicago and DC as well as the other cities I named have something else going for themselves because the media doesn't slander them as hard hence why people still invest, companies move there to provide jobs, and the affluent still relocate there, maybe to just isolated areas, but they still go there.

Quote:
Yes, but how do you define "big city"? Is the "big city" the City of Detroit itself or the entire metropolitan region? I think that if Detroit suddenly became a vacant field that the rest of the region and the state would be just fine. In that sense, I think the "city" is the metropolitan region as a whole...
Technically the city is still MI "big city" and as I said before the metro area will not do any better....people move out of MICHIGAN not just Detroit

Quote:
Heh heh. I'm just trying to give helpful advice, mate. Seriously, have you given some consideration to leaving the region? There are large cities out there besides the problematic ones you mentioned...
No and I won't.....thanx

Quote:
Well, what do you think the City of Detroit would need for a revival? I think that if someone could achieve what I proposed it would go a long way.
Well for starters Detroit, or MI period, needs some type of successful industry(s) or "big business" to survive. Most cities have some type of industry(s) that made it what it is today.For instance what Henry Ford did for Detroit in its heyday but the big three is not doing well and we need more than just that anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Well, yeah, but they happen more frequently in Detroit. Yesterday the news reported that a man was shot and killed at a gas station. (I think he was shot by a guy on a bicycle.)

http://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/vi...rB04eX23U92W2M

http://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/vi...0vZqMA0rJi13HJ

http://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/vi...1pnou9lMAAnULy

http://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/vi...0cgv43Lp0yJAbN

http://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/vi...LU2Uti2LLh3tYn

http://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/vi...96siV8WJ144R35

http://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/vi...QmX9ZYdJ8E80t3

http://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/vi...6FKsaNJOubkns9

now keep trying to convince yourself that crime is MUCH higher here than anywhere else smh.....I can definitely post way more

Last edited by detroitlove; 05-15-2010 at 02:24 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 08:02 PM

52,766 posts, read 75,736,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Like I said don't come on here with that. A city you hate is "your" city too yea whatever smh

Many people did vote for Obama including myself. So in that case yes Americans got what they asked for BUT most people in the city do not vote for these people. Kwame first term...yes...second term...uh not so much. Just like many people did not vote for Bush the second term.

Some? most of Metro Detroit is not what people make it seem. Highland Park? Hamtramck? Roseville? Eastpointe? Harperwoods? Hazel Park? Southfield? Dearborn? Rouge? Ecorse? Inkster? Pontiac? Taylor? Warren? (lmao) Redford? lol that's MOST of the Metro area right there and those cities are either nice neighborhoods but nothing in it really or just as bad as the city! an "otherwise nice metro" yea right. The only cities I can see people WANTING to live in Metro Detroit rather than any other city period are Troy, Royal Oak, St. Clair Shores, Grosspointe or Livonia...other than that Im so good. Oak Park is "ok" but as a black person I wouldn't live there.

Ok and that's your family....but there are some out there

Show me the stats on it being way "more common" than anywhere else. I lived in FL for two years, visit GA a lot because I have family all over GA, Family all over Chicago and its metro as well, LA too and trust its just as common in these places smh

Chicago and DC as well as the other cities I named have something else going for themselves because the media doesn't slander them as hard hence why people still invest, companies move there to provide jobs, and the affluent still relocate there, maybe to just isolated areas, but they still go there.

Technically the city is still MI "big city" and as I said before the metro area will not do any better....people move out of MICHIGAN not just Detroit

No and I won't.....thanx

Well for starters Detroit, or MI period, needs some type of successful industry(s) or "big business" to survive. Most cities have some type of industry(s) that made it what it is today.For instance what Henry Ford did for Detroit in its heyday but the big three is not doing well and we need more than just that anyway.
What's wrong with Oak Park and isn't about 45% Black or so now?

Old 05-16-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What's wrong with Oak Park and isn't about 45% Black or so now?
There are plenty of black people in Oak Park but the police still harrass black people there. One reason why my brother, two of my friends and couple others I've came across moved from Oak Park smh

Old 05-16-2010, 05:52 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,334,599 times
It would be amazing if we could just ignore skin color and get rid of the "______________ has it bad in _______________" attitude.

Then, more people might actually come to Detroit, bringing better attitudes with them.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:58 PM

588 posts, read 1,043,566 times
My family is all from detroit, and I really enjoy my visits there. Yes there are problems, yes its kind of depressing, but there are still beautiful places in Detroit. The food, beautiful houses, nice skyline, the trees, the culture. There is a ton of clean up that is needed. It is a a shame Detroit isnt what it once was.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 AM

118 posts, read 392,519 times
I really have no faith in the city government itself whatsoever to ever do what it is actually supposed to do- govern properly. I have no faith in the majority of the people who live there to educate themselves on a political level to the point that they vote for candidates who aren't corrupt, who actually put the true needs of the city first. When the vast bulk of the population is uneducated, things do not change. What is needed is a federal response. The United States as a whole needs to stop sweeping Detroit's issues under the rug and address this like this absolute crisis that it is. We need to use some of the stimulus money to bulldoze entire sections of the city down. Not only are they completely depressing and total eyesores, they are a public safety hazard. It would really be great if somehow it became a collaborative effort where the workers teamed up with volunteers. Detroit just needs to become a nice, clean slate for a new story to be written on, one slow chapter at a time. This is the best way. Then maybe a few grocery stores could be lured in. But a lot of this depends on the population of Detroit and its attitude towards accepting change. The last time I was there I was called a "cracker a&* h@" right to my face in a gas station for no good reason. Too bad, I left and my wallet left with me.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
It would be amazing if we could just ignore skin color and get rid of the "______________ has it bad in _______________" attitude.

Then, more people might actually come to Detroit, bringing better attitudes with them.
he/she asked....I just told the truth

Old 05-17-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
My family is all from detroit, and I really enjoy my visits there. Yes there are problems, yes its kind of depressing, but there are still beautiful places in Detroit. The food, beautiful houses, nice skyline, the trees, the culture. There is a ton of clean up that is needed. It is a a shame Detroit isnt what it once was.
whenever someone says "depressing" I just think "i live here im not depressed" lol but I agree with the clean up

Old 05-17-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
I really have no faith in the city government itself whatsoever to ever do what it is actually supposed to do- govern properly. I have no faith in the majority of the people who live there to educate themselves on a political level to the point that they vote for candidates who aren't corrupt, who actually put the true needs of the city first. When the vast bulk of the population is uneducated, things do not change. What is needed is a federal response. The United States as a whole needs to stop sweeping Detroit's issues under the rug and address this like this absolute crisis that it is. We need to use some of the stimulus money to bulldoze entire sections of the city down. Not only are they completely depressing and total eyesores, they are a public safety hazard. It would really be great if somehow it became a collaborative effort where the workers teamed up with volunteers. Detroit just needs to become a nice, clean slate for a new story to be written on, one slow chapter at a time. This is the best way. Then maybe a few grocery stores could be lured in. But a lot of this depends on the population of Detroit and its attitude towards accepting change. The last time I was there I was called a "cracker a&* h@" right to my face in a gas station for no good reason. Too bad, I left and my wallet left with me.
did everybody in the city call you that or just one ignorant person? go back to my post about my negative experience in the Metro area.....there is ignorance everywhere! As for the vast majority of the population being illiterate.....sad but people need to realize that a good portion are older people who are functionally illiterate because back in the day you could get a good job in the auto industry without a good education. As for the younger generation....they come from this previous one. Its all about the individual. My father and mother, fortunately for me, pushed education. Plenty of parents here NEED to do this also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or