U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM

588 posts, read 1,047,988 times

Advertisements

I meant it's depressing that I see houses next door to my grandfathers where I spent many summers at, boarded up and delapidated. Such grand homes boarded up. It's sad to see that, and it's hard to see a fix to this problem.

Detroitlove, did you live in inner Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 04:53 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,716,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
I meant it's depressing that I see houses next door to my grandfathers where I spent many summers at, boarded up and delapidated. Such grand homes boarded up. It's sad to see that, and it's hard to see a fix to this problem.

Detroitlove, did you live in inner Detroit?
I don't know what you mean by "inner" but I live off 6mile and Conners/Outer Drive in the Osborn community. Have all my life never stayed anywhere else, well omitting the two years I was in FL. Oh ok I agree about that.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:43 PM

179 posts, read 479,413 times
It's hard to feel positive about a city where both graduation rates and literacy rates hover below somewhere below 50% - one can only imagine what these individuals are growing up to become.

It's hard to feel positive about a city that has a 24 minute average police response time when crime is rampant - that is way too long in an emergency.

It's hard to feel positive about a city with a ridiculous circus of mayoral/city council government.

It's hard to feel positive about a city with a lack of shopping and business that draw suburbanites to the city - why many skip Detroit and head to Troy or even Chicago or New York to get their fix.

It's hard to feel positive about a city that has next to no public transportation - the motor city is a nuisance to anyone wanting to head downtown for a good time and not spend $50 + on a taxi back to the burbs.

It's hard to feel positive about a city that feels like it hasn't realized that skin color shouldn't affect anything - white people (suburban or not) shouldn't fear and mistrust black people (suburban or not), and black people (suburban or not) shouldn't blame white people (suburban or not) for the city's problems (one would think it was the deep south in the 19th century!).

It's hard to feel positive about a city that has a gorgeous riverfront, but due to fears of crime or lack of interest, it is not the draw it could be (like Chicago's Navy Pier which is fun for all).

It's hard to feel positive about a city that you just plain don't feel safe in.

Hope none of this offends anyone and my apologies if it does.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:36 PM

what kills me about the whole race thing is black people in the city really could care less what color you are. if suburban white people from the suburbs wouldnt bring up skin color neither would blacks in the burbs or the city. Come to my neighborhood its white people and no not overly ghetto white people. its also white people in the East English Village where my brother stays. And I see black and white people over here and in his neighborhood talking and their children playing outside as well as in Indian village. But when most of the cities percieved to be "good" are 95% white and most percieved to be "bad" or not safe are majority black in MI one can only be subconcious about race. Esp when black people do move to majority white suburbs you can turn on the news and hear about crosses being burned on their grass :/. So who cares about race? its not the people of the city regardless of what you all "feel". How do you expect people in the city to have this oh so great view of white people anyway when you have so many fools on this thread saying how they are scared to stop at streetlights or don't go into the city after dark. smh. Thats funny when I come in every weekend around 3 & 4 or even 5 in the morning and NO ONE bothers me. It has nothing to do with me being black either. Its funny how white people in Metro Detroit can feel so unsafe in Detroit but brag about Chicago when they have neighborhoods with higher crime rates than the whole city of Detroit! are you serious? like I said they had 17 murders in 3 days, reached over the 100 murder mark in less than half a yr and its basically a gang war going on there. Most of yall go to Loop anyway smh. When Im in the Chi its to see family, most who live in the southside and some on the westside and others in the burbs, and can tell you honestly its not much of a difference. You have to be aware of your sorrounding anywhere you go not just Detroit. Hell I was more affraid in DAYTONA BEACH then I've ever been in Detroit. Why don't the burbs provide transportation from the burbs to city then???? Once again you do realize they include people from the "auto industry days" when you didn't need an education in thos stats???? Matter of fact the study originally talked about the illiteracy rate among ADULTS in the city. There are many factors of why the graduation rate is down. the only thing I agree with is the lack of retail. But you know what.....I've said it before to my friends and family I honestly feel Detroit people should boycott suburban malls, shops and restaraunts until they do provide some type of retail within city limits.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
what kills me about the whole race thing is black people in the city really could care less what color you are. if suburban white people from the suburbs wouldnt bring up skin color neither would blacks in the burbs or the city. Come to my neighborhood its white people and no not overly ghetto white people. its also white people in the East English Village where my brother stays. And I see black and white people over here and in his neighborhood talking and their children playing outside as well as in Indian village. But when most of the cities percieved to be "good" are 95% white and most percieved to be "bad" or not safe are majority black in MI one can only be subconcious about race. Esp when black people do move to majority white suburbs you can turn on the news and hear about crosses being burned on their grass :/. So who cares about race? its not the people of the city regardless of what you all "feel". How do you expect people in the city to have this oh so great view of white people anyway when you have so many fools on this thread saying how they are scared to stop at streetlights or don't go into the city after dark. smh. Thats funny when I come in every weekend around 3 & 4 or even 5 in the morning and NO ONE bothers me. It has nothing to do with me being black either. Its funny how white people in Metro Detroit can feel so unsafe in Detroit but brag about Chicago when they have neighborhoods with higher crime rates than the whole city of Detroit! are you serious? like I said they had 17 murders in 3 days, reached over the 100 murder mark in less than half a yr and its basically a gang war going on there. Most of yall go to Loop anyway smh. When Im in the Chi its to see family, most who live in the southside and some on the westside and others in the burbs, and can tell you honestly its not much of a difference. You have to be aware of your sorrounding anywhere you go not just Detroit. Hell I was more affraid in DAYTONA BEACH then I've ever been in Detroit. Why don't the burbs provide transportation from the burbs to city then???? Once again you do realize they include people from the "auto industry days" when you didn't need an education in thos stats???? Matter of fact the study originally talked about the illiteracy rate among ADULTS in the city. There are many factors of why the graduation rate is down. the only thing I agree with is the lack of retail. But you know what.....I've said it before to my friends and family I honestly feel Detroit people should boycott suburban malls, shops and restaraunts until they do provide some type of retail within city limits.

Congrats for being an individual that can see past color, but for me that still doesn't account for the other 900,000 or so residents of the D.

Statistically speaking, black neighborhoods are higher in crime than white neighborhoods.

The people on this thread or elsewhere who say that they are scared to stop at red lights is because they either have seen on the news an instance where bad things have happened, know someone that bad things have happened to, or been the person with their own experience that the bad thing happened to. My dad and grandpa were robbed at gunpoint and mace sprayed in their face and had their wallets stolen so it's not exactly an easily forgotten experience. And even though I personally didn't experience it, it's in the back of my mind somewhere.

In regards to how one feels about something/somewhere, that is totally up to the individual based on their own life's experiences. No matter how much another may point out why they shouldn't feel that way, nothing can make them change unless they are ready or can put their experience behind them. Arguing about how someone else feels is pointless.

In regards to education stats, I was referencing current stats - 07, 08, 09. I don't have to waste time looking up old stats to prove a point when recent ones will do it better. And it doesn't make it look better to say it is in reference to adults only - why should anyone be happy about adults who are illiterate, kids have a higher chance to become literate due to not having to work. You say there are many factors for the low grad rate, but you don't argue against it - because it is a fact. It doesn't matter why it is low, it matters that it is and that someone cares to fix it.

This one made me laugh - your question as to why the suburbs should build transportation to the D. Why should they?? They want to keep money in their own communities, why send their residents to other cities (other suburbs or the city itself) to spend money? Build something that costs them millions of dollars, just to see their residents hop on and spend their dough elsewhere. Yeah right.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 PM

183 posts, read 266,516 times
Detroit love, you sound like someone who would make a good friend. It's too bad that Detroit is going through such a hard time the last few weeks. It makes me feel like racial harmony and understanding is as far away as it's ever been around here. I hope against hope that things will improve in this areas but with bad economic conditions (which always seems to bring out racial fears and retributions), (as in Arizona right now) I must admit to being pessimistic. We can only hope against hope that things will improve eventually.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 PM

In spirit of things that are positive about Detroit just to say my glass isn't half empty:

We have great sports teams (ok minus the Lions)! The Red Wings always do great and are why we're called Hockeytown! The Tigers usually do decently and the Pistons are pretty good too.

We have lots of diversity around the city - Corktown, Mexican town, Greek town, Hamtramck, Indians, Albanians, Romanians, Ukrainians, Japanese, Koreans, Chinese, and it is easy to find great ethnic food/restaurants/markets.

Our music scene - Just had the Downtown Hoedown last week for all the country fans, Tech Fest for techno lovers, not to mention several talented hip hop/rap artists; both well known and those still building local steam.

Speaking of fests, we have lots of great festivals here in the city and around, like Detroit's River Days, numerous art fairs in the summer, harvest festivals in the fall, ice carvers showcasing in winter, and more!

We have beautiful seasons (I know this applies to all of MI, but hey it applies here too).

We have cheap flights to Chicago, NY, FL, ATL whenever we need to get away for a long weekend. And Canada is just across the river.

We have several beautiful museums - Motown Museum, Henry Ford/Greenfield Village, the DIA and Detroit Science Center just to name a few are all fantastic and not to be missed!

We have tons of venues for all those looking for a show. The Fox, Fischer, Fillmore, St. Andrews, Clutch, Detroit Opera House, and many more await!

There are many great things about Detroit that the media and its own citizens are either ignorant of or choose to ignore. Unfortunately I do think that we are in dire need of improving the basics - crime, education, local government, general infrastructure. Once these are improved the city and immediate region will improve as a whole. It really isn't a question of what is bad about Detroit anymore. The problems have been identified, but have the root causes been? If not, we need to figure out what they are. If so, we now need to begin on how to solve them. It's all about a realistic plan with a specific process. A plan that everyone understands how it is to be implemented, and how they are to be a part of it - no sitting back and hoping for change.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl14256 View Post
Congrats for being an individual that can see past color, but for me that still doesn't account for the other 900,000 or so residents of the D.
Do you spend much time in the city? and no not the Downtown area. I know for a fact that with most of us we will get along with just about anybody. It all has to do with the way YOU approach us. There are non black people in many areas in Detroit including SW, East English Village, Rosedale Park, Indian Village etc. and even in the "ghettos". Matter of fact MOST of the white people living in the city actually live in the lower class/working class areas (most in Southwest). I think Indian Village is the middle class with the most diversity and its still somewhere around 54% black. I ride through there in the summer and see ALL types of people mowing their lawns, children playing and riding their bike and people just standing around talking. The city people are the ones screaming "DIVERSITY" while the suburban whites a lot of times don't want black people moving in their neighborhoods. Just read the threads on here smh. I personally could care less about diversity. I can live around all blacks,whites,hispanics etc as long as we can live together without racial tension and ignorance.

Quote:
Statistically speaking, black neighborhoods are higher in crime than white neighborhoods.
They do but let's not act as if white people commit NO crimes. Thats what many on the internet act like. This country was built on crimes.

Quote:
The people on this thread or elsewhere who say that they are scared to stop at red lights is because they either have seen on the news an instance where bad things have happened, know someone that bad things have happened to, or been the person with their own experience that the bad thing happened to. My dad and grandpa were robbed at gunpoint and mace sprayed in their face and had their wallets stolen so it's not exactly an easily forgotten experience. And even though I personally didn't experience it, it's in the back of my mind somewhere.
See my posts about my experiences in the majority white suburbs. I know plenty of people who have had some of the worst experiences in majority white cities around the US but it does not give them the right to assume that every white person is out to get them.

Quote:
In regards to how one feels about something/somewhere, that is totally up to the individual based on their own life's experiences. No matter how much another may point out why they shouldn't feel that way, nothing can make them change unless they are ready or can put their experience behind them. Arguing about how someone else feels is pointless.
It is. But ask some of these people if their own race has done something terrible to them then ask do they make prejudgements about their race too.........and see what your answers are. Ive been done wrong by black and white, talked about by non black hispanics in spanish as if us African Americans can't learn spanish in school or as if there are no hispanics that are black or have basically the same phenotype as an African American etc but I don't prejudge people based on race. When I worked for DTE summer program in 08 two of the main people I hung out with were white and one black girl and of course I went to majority/all black schools all my life but I don't have a problem making friends of any race. Matter of fact I went to a Hamtrack Catholic school with equal blacks and whites and I had NO black friends. In elementary although at a majority black school, most of my bestfriends were Arab. color is not an issue.

Quote:
In regards to education stats, I was referencing current stats - 07, 08, 09. I don't have to waste time looking up old stats to prove a point when recent ones will do it better. And it doesn't make it look better to say it is in reference to adults only - why should anyone be happy about adults who are illiterate, kids have a higher chance to become literate due to not having to work. You say there are many factors for the low grad rate, but you don't argue against it - because it is a fact. It doesn't matter why it is low, it matters that it is and that someone cares to fix it.
I wasn't talking about old stats. Im refering to the original stats from I believe 2008 which stated that 50% of Adults in Detroit were functionally illiterate.

Quote:
This one made me laugh - your question as to why the suburbs should build transportation to the D. Why should they?? They want to keep money in their own communities, why send their residents to other cities (other suburbs or the city itself) to spend money? Build something that costs them millions of dollars, just to see their residents hop on and spend their dough elsewhere. Yeah right.
I actually was being sarcastic because suburban people are the only ones worried about a "transit system" for suburban people to get to the city, which I doubt will increase suburbanites coming into Detroit. I live on eastside, its a ten minute trip from my house .

Last edited by detroitlove; 05-21-2010 at 11:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post
Detroit love, you sound like someone who would make a good friend. It's too bad that Detroit is going through such a hard time the last few weeks. It makes me feel like racial harmony and understanding is as far away as it's ever been around here. I hope against hope that things will improve in this areas but with bad economic conditions (which always seems to bring out racial fears and retributions), (as in Arizona right now) I must admit to being pessimistic. We can only hope against hope that things will improve eventually.
thank you much and it would, atleast I believe so.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
In spirit of things that are positive about Detroit just to say my glass isn't half empty:

We have great sports teams (ok minus the Lions)! The Red Wings always do great and are why we're called Hockeytown! The Tigers usually do decently and the Pistons are pretty good too.

We have lots of diversity around the city - Corktown, Mexican town, Greek town, Hamtramck, Indians, Albanians, Romanians, Ukrainians, Japanese, Koreans, Chinese, and it is easy to find great ethnic food/restaurants/markets.

Our music scene - Just had the Downtown Hoedown last week for all the country fans, Tech Fest for techno lovers, not to mention several talented hip hop/rap artists; both well known and those still building local steam.

Speaking of fests, we have lots of great festivals here in the city and around, like Detroit's River Days, numerous art fairs in the summer, harvest festivals in the fall, ice carvers showcasing in winter, and more!

We have beautiful seasons (I know this applies to all of MI, but hey it applies here too).

We have cheap flights to Chicago, NY, FL, ATL whenever we need to get away for a long weekend. And Canada is just across the river.

We have several beautiful museums - Motown Museum, Henry Ford/Greenfield Village, the DIA and Detroit Science Center just to name a few are all fantastic and not to be missed!

We have tons of venues for all those looking for a show. The Fox, Fischer, Fillmore, St. Andrews, Clutch, Detroit Opera House, and many more await!

There are many great things about Detroit that the media and its own citizens are either ignorant of or choose to ignore. Unfortunately I do think that we are in dire need of improving the basics - crime, education, local government, general infrastructure. Once these are improved the city and immediate region will improve as a whole. It really isn't a question of what is bad about Detroit anymore. The problems have been identified, but have the root causes been? If not, we need to figure out what they are. If so, we now need to begin on how to solve them. It's all about a realistic plan with a specific process. A plan that everyone understands how it is to be implemented, and how they are to be a part of it - no sitting back and hoping for change.

I agree 100%. Don't forget you can get a $50 round trip ticket on the megabus from Detroit to Chicago and vice versa....well I don't know exactly how much it is if you buy the ticket in Chicago but I believe its the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or