Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:39 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times

Advertisements

Ok so reading all the threads on C-D has me over here really thinking. I'd say most if not the majority of posters never have been to Detroit and the "Metro" Detroit posters have some kind of underlying hate for the city (which is honestly sad and stupid). Any threads dealing with crime or murder or anything negative on C-D the first thing they do is point out Detroit. Then when you ask if they ever been here the first thing they say is "no Ive never been to MI but the media....". How can you possibly know "exactly" how a place is if you've never been there. I hear NYC is dirty & rat infested but I don't talk negative about there because I've personally never been to NYC. That would make me look like a fool. Then you have the suburbanites smh. Many of you have been programmed to hate the city that you do it subconciously. I'd be willing to bet your parents or grandparents who were invovlved in the white flight told you all your life how you are so much better than the residents of Detroit so now you think its true. Then so many of you get on here to spew your hate and talk about how the residents of Detroit don't care about the city or what they do or don't do. Most of you don't come to the city unless its for a hockey or tigers game so what do you know about the residents. One thread talks about how most people in the city are not like the media portrays and are just trying to live their life. Post after post of suburban people saying how most are gang members (gives you away because Detroit is not a gang city so obviously you don't know what you're talking about) or crimminals or lazy etc. How do you know? Do you go from door to door to ask these people? I'm far from lazy. I'm unemployed because of America's economy. I was unemployed in FL as well. But I go to school (U of D) and I continue to look for a job. I know plenty of working people in the city (yes black men and women) most who drive to Dearborn, Southfield, Sterling Heights etc to work and some who have jobs in the city. Most of my family still stays in the city and have jobs, good jobs. It depends on the individual. Some of you even contridict yourself a lot. For instance someone said suburban people don't go into the city unless its for a sports event but then the same ones said suburban people come in the city to clean up while the people in the city don't? Well I personally know a couple of people who have participated in programs that clean up the city, pick up trash and paint houses. I also know people who knew nothing about the programs because they don't advertise (me being one) as well as people who don't and won't do anything. There are always going to be the bad apples anywhere. For the people who are origanally from here and live other places you all disapoint me the most . Some of you are so negative saying you want Detroit to fail Do you not realize you too are apart of the problem? Like do you all not understand that if people who have been going elsewhere to become successful would have BEEN investing and giving back instead of keeping that same Detroit attitude that so many of you say the people here have of complaining and doing nothing where the city would actually be right now?

All Im saying is people feed into Detroit problems a little too much especially since 95% of you all are in no way trying to help improve the city (whether live here or Detroit native or not). America is so hypocritical if you ask me. There are plenty of cities with problems just as bad or worse but some of these same cities get glorified. Im not saying down these cities either but aknowledge their problems too because all the media does is talk about the negatives of Detroit and totally ignore the positives. How do you all expect the city to recover if people have no interest or believe there is NOTHING positive going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 03:59 AM

here is a video a young man I went to high school with did about the positive side of Detroit....enjoy

YouTube - The Positve Side of Detroit

Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
We don't agree on a few things in other threads, but you're right. I have started a few threads to look out for the positives and they've all been overcome by people pointing the blame for the negatives... Detroit AND its metro changed my life, opened my eyes, and made me a better person. It gave me new faith in people, and new goals. I love the city, despite the bad, because the people of Detroit city and metro are amazing. They reach out to help others and keep their chin up when the going is rough. They are tough, self-reliant, courageous, and proud. That is what makes the city special.

You can concentrate on all the urban blight you want, but I know I really don't give a damn. The people that live their lives in the Detroit area... DAMN do they LIVE!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 AM

183 posts, read 322,783 times
You make some very good points detroitlove. I wish people would at least spend a little bit of time in Detroit before they succumb to the overpowering images the media love to portray. I'm not saying they should whitewash the many problems of the city, but to downgrade it at every opportunity makes it seem like Detroit is nothing but a warzone. But it is much more than that in many complex ways. Nothing is usually as great or as bad as people like to think, but is usually something in the middle. I wish people would realize this.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:44 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
The thing about metro Detroit and metro Detroiters is that metro Detroit is a "can't-do" place, whereas others are "can-do" places. I am guilty of this too, and am unrepentant. My family never took part in the white flight of Detroit; my grandparents came here in the 50s due to a job transfer. I'll admit, I do hate Detroit, often with a passion; however, I hate other places such as Roseville (and pretty much anything with a 586 area code) equally as much as Detroit, and sometimes more. Unlike other suburbanites, I can occasionally find something redeeming in the city here and there, and I actually do things in the city besides attend sports events (I hate Detroit teams anyways. I'm a Cleveland fan.). Also, most of my time in Detroit is not spent downtown, also unlike the average suburbanite. I'm also resentful that earlier generations left a great city such as Detroit (they say it was great, and eighty years ago I bet it was, but it's hard to see now) in such a shambles.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
(and pretty much anything with a 586 area code)
Fraser, Utica, Warren, Sterling Heights, Richmond, New Baltimore, St. Clair Shores and Shelby Township love you too

Old 05-10-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
We don't agree on a few things in other threads, but you're right. I have started a few threads to look out for the positives and they've all been overcome by people pointing the blame for the negatives... Detroit AND its metro changed my life, opened my eyes, and made me a better person. It gave me new faith in people, and new goals. I love the city, despite the bad, because the people of Detroit city and metro are amazing. They reach out to help others and keep their chin up when the going is rough. They are tough, self-reliant, courageous, and proud. That is what makes the city special.

You can concentrate on all the urban blight you want, but I know I really don't give a damn. The people that live their lives in the Detroit area... DAMN do they LIVE!!!
Thank you! Oh no hard feelings at all about the other thread . But yes the people here and plenty in the metro area do love the city and each other more than the media tends to portray. Like I was saying in the other thread I don't mean to come off as a "suburb hater" I just know that the way a lot C-D posters will make it seem as if those of us living in the city are all miserable and poor and all of the suburban people are living this rich happy life when the fact is America is going through a lot as a whole and MI is hit harder than most as whole not just Detroit. I have suburban friends from school and my old job who have moved with no plans of coming back to MI period. Yes the relationship between the city and many burbs is very strained but not all of us are like that. But the suburban people that hope the city fails don't realize it will greatly hurt them if it did. Do they really think the city will be rebuilt and they will be so well off? If they do they need a reality check. If the city fails so will all of Metro Detroit and plenty of MI cities.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
Fraser, Utica, Warren, Sterling Heights, Richmond, New Baltimore, St. Clair Shores and Shelby Township love you too

I actually like SCS. Fraser I can tolerate. Sterling Heights, maybe, but I don't do Lakeside. New Baltimore and Chesterfield Township (and all the St. Clair county folks, too) are the worst, though. They've ruined my morning commute.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post
You make some very good points detroitlove. I wish people would at least spend a little bit of time in Detroit before they succumb to the overpowering images the media love to portray. I'm not saying they should whitewash the many problems of the city, but to downgrade it at every opportunity makes it seem like Detroit is nothing but a warzone. But it is much more than that in many complex ways. Nothing is usually as great or as bad as people like to think, but is usually something in the middle. I wish people would realize this.
You are right. Everything is usually somewhere in the middle. For instance I know people from here and other places that have moved to NYC, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, LA, Chicago etc that hate it! and those are all cities that are glorified. I also know people who go to Detroit, Cleveland, New Orleans, St. Louis etc and love it! It depends on the person and what they like and expect. I know a boy who is orginally from NJ (born)/NYC (raised) and spent most of his life between NJ,NYC and Detroit and he just moved back here after spending a year in NYC and two in FL because he WANTED to come back. And he is not a Detroit native. Honestly even I was like "why here? and not New York". But as far as it being a warzone smh I constantly have to tell people when I go out of town that I've been living here for 22 years never have I once been robbed, raped, shot, shot at, stabbed etc. That's the main thing people ask me when I say I'm from here is about crime.....sad.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:20 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
DetroitLove, great thread!

I'll share a recent 'Detroit' story with everyone as well.

I recently flew into Detroit back in February...snow storm outside...and the family members who were coming to pick me up, had a car accident - however, I had no idea.

I had a ton of stuff with me at the airport...just came off an international flight....really looking forward to seeing my very young son.

No one was there to pick me up. 20s something African-American guy...who worked for the airports...asked me if everything was okay. 'Yeah, just waiting for my ride to pick me up'.

'You need to use my phone'....'nah, thats okay'. 'No, here, give 'em a call'. I called home...began to hear about what happened...motioned that I have to give this cellphone back, just borrowing it. The guy said, 'nah, talk as long as you need'. I tried to hurry, found out about the accident...and basically I was going to be sleeping in the airport that night, book a hotel, or rent a car and drive through the snow storm myself. I also didn't have much money, but wanted to see wife and son, so nothing was an easy answer.

I explained to the guy what happened...immediately he started calling around to hotels and car rental agencies with his cellphone...he knew some of the people ar the car rental agencies, asked them if they had any good deals...asked for people he knew personally who might be able to help with a good deal - car rentals at the airport without a reservation were insanely expensive, etc.

Anyways...he basically sorted everything out for me...even though he was employed and probably had other things he could have been or should have been doing...he said he just liked to help people...made him feel good.

Honestly speaking, I have been in many many many airports all over the U.S. and international as well...and never had anyone take that much time and with so much sincerity and helpfulness and genuine interest in helping someone out with no alterior motive whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit