U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 PM

15,692 posts, read 34,684,028 times

Advertisements

Interesting!

Yeah, the Canadian thing...uggh. I don't like that association at all. Mostly because I've met way too many condescending holier-than-though Canadians...which doesn't make me want to be associated with them. Personally, I've always thought the entire Great Lakes region including that particular part of Canada...sounds a bit a like in general - the 'eh' all the way across into WI and MN as well. Not a Canadian thing, just a Great Lakes thing, that affects THEM not US.

The SOUTHERN STUFF is interesting. I grew up in small towns in MI...and particularly near the border, it is amazing how many people came up from the south.

For me, my family were european immigrants who emigrated to MI...from Ireland, Germany, France. I think that element definetely exists there as well. No accent from those countries though - just still tons of MI people who have been there for generations though - but I think they are moreso further north of MI border. (IE...no southern connection whatsoever.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 AM

10 posts, read 29,466 times
This thread is old but white (metro) Detroiters' accents are affected by the Northern Cities Vowel Shift. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_cities_vowel_shift

But then again Eminem doesn't have the Northern Cities Shift. He also doesn't sound completely black to me either.

Also I have heard elements of the south here as well. Listen to the first man. Though maybe he's not from here.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/Why-Many-Are-Walking-Away-From-Their-Home/c7HEpzXcSk272gBN01GMFQ.cspx

Old 05-25-2010, 04:39 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,700,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
This thread is old but white (metro) Detroiters' accents are affected by the Northern Cities Vowel Shift. Northern cities vowel shift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But then again Eminem doesn't have the Northern Cities Shift. He also doesn't sound completely black to me either.

Also I have heard elements of the south here as well. Listen to the first man. Though maybe he's not from here.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/Why-M...gBN01GMFQ.cspx

because he's not from Detroit. He's from Warren a majority white city. Detroiters and Metro Detroiters sound different

Old 05-25-2010, 05:23 PM

15,692 posts, read 34,684,028 times
What is that Eminem clip suppose to be about? I just watched the entire thing.

It was acting...but whatever it represents...just sounds like one of the most egotistical self-absorbed things I've ever watched in a long time. I guess its suppose to be for the young kids to see how cool or bad he is for trying a drug. Just dumb.

Anyone who has done drugs, would be laughing at the ridiculousness of his egotistical nature and immense exaggeration about it...and anyone who hasn't done drugs, will think 'he's cool', I guess? Don't know...don't get it.

Regarding the accent...it's not really typical Michigan to me. But I've heard random people 'try' to talk like that...I think it less about 'MI' accent though...and more 'street' in general...and particularly people trying to sound like they are from 'the street'.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM

52,630 posts, read 75,451,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
because he's not from Detroit. He's from Warren a majority white city. Detroiters and Metro Detroiters sound different
I think he was born in St. Joseph Missouri too.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:18 PM

3,057 posts, read 5,235,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda264 View Post
Most of the working/lower class in Michigan are at most two generations away from the deep South. It seems like most are in denial? A large population traveled here from the 1930's on for the factory jobs. Good pay, no education needed. They brought their ways and culture and the state of Michigan changed. Rural living, xenophobia, clan mentalities, far reaching consequences of preferring segregation among all races became the norm. No one really talks about it. The city of Detroit is disappearing and urban farming is positively looked upon. The people in the suburbs are constantly trying to move farther away from anything resembling a metropolis in favor of isolation and country. Of course the accent is southern. What else would it be? On an episode of Justified (which is based in Kentucky) they had a character on from Detroit that sounded very southern. They referred to it on the show as the Detroit accent. I consider Michigan to be a southern state. Michigan stopped being mid-western about 30 years ago. Why doesn't anyone acknowledge it? Its a way of life and it took over Michigan.
I cant figure out if this post is more offensive to Southerners or Midwesterners. Or Detroiters. Or Michiganders.

But, after reading this, I also feel like Ive learned a lot about making huge leaps in logic. So I guess something good did come out of it.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 PM

I've heard a lot of white people in the city who sound like Eminem. But they're not the ones who went to private school. They sound like they went to private school if that makes sense. Then again I hear people with all types of accents.

This video has a few arabs and a lady from Ohio. Although the student at 2:15 sounds like she has a Michigander accent. I like the Dearborn Arab accent though. Later Omar a WCCC student has the typical one.

YouTube - YAN Coverage: Protests in Dearborn against the Israeli Aggression on Gaza

At two minutes in this video the lady has a typical Michigan 'A' going on. Also the apparently hispanic gentlemen don't have very hispanic accents.

YouTube - da saweet environment video 0001

Point is there are way too many different people in the city and metro with way too many different accents to say that Detroit has one.

However in Detroit I guess we say Wat up doe.

YouTube - In Detroit We Say What Up Doe

I'm a big fan of asking where somebody stays though. I feel like most people are transient. Staying is more accurate for our situation than living. I mean, who'd live in Detroit? I just stay there. Right now it appears it might be for the long haul though.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:15 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,700,655 times
no offense but the thread wasn't intended on the Metro area as a whole. I meant the city of Detroit residents. I guess there aren't enough Detroiters on here though.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:27 AM

The migration in and out of the city means that I don't think you could say there is an accent of the city. My aunt definitely doesn't have a Michigan accent she has more of a college educated accent more standard than anything. She's lived in the city her whole life. She's in her sixties.

I used to work for a Polish guy Al Kosinski who had a gangster accent like I imagine the Purple Gang used to talk with. He was old as dirt. He owns those houses on Sibley in between Woodward & Park, one's burnt but they're connected. I think he's speculating. He lives in Roseville now though.

But both of those examples are older people and the younger Detroiters don't talk anything like them.

So do you mean the White Detroit accent, the Black Detroit accent, the Hispanic Detroit accent, the Chaldean Detroit accent? Which population in the City of Detroit do you mean?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 19,185 times
Default Four accents

I have seen four accent in Detroit. The city accent which is a southern African-American dialect, Down River is a southern white dialect, West side suburbs and east side suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or