Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 02:17 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I think that at one time people were proud to become American because they realized just how much better of a country we were compared to where they came from. This has not been the case for many black people because they seem to have a misconception that they would have been better off if they were left in Africa than being brought here. Truth be told, there was slavery in Africa and there still is. Most slaves were captured and sold by their fellow black Africans. Blacks in America today are much better off than their relatives in Africa. The standard of living for most black Africans is atrocious. Many horrible wars were/are being fought in black Africa (Hutus/Tutsis, Darfur, Angola, etc.).

So in my opinion, if I were a black American, I would thank God everyday that through unfortunate circumstances of my ancestors, that I, by the grace of God, live in the greatest country on the face of the earth. I would not consider myself a hyphenated American and I would do all that I could to embrace the language and customs of my beloved country.

Of course, we now have a "President" who seems to enjoy running to other countries to apologize on how bad our country is or has been. And we have a political party that can not run on sound governing principles so they resort to gaining votes by catering to racial and ethnic factions.

As to your question of marriage of different races, there are three biracial families on my street and I couldn't care-a-less what some people wearing powdered wigs and knee breeches might have thought of the matter. If the Anglos and Saxons can put aside their differences to live together, why not other peoples? Even Thomas Jefferson knew better (supposedly).
As a black american I am not thanking God everyday that I'm American. I do see how we are better off than many Africans but that doesnt mean America treats us so great either. There is nothing wrong with any ethnicity/race wanting something to themselves. Ebonics is just that for African Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 04:49 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
I've heard a lot of white people in the city who sound like Eminem. But they're not the ones who went to private school. They sound like they went to private school if that makes sense. Then again I hear people with all types of accents.

Huh!?!? I went to private school from Pre-K to 12th grade and never heard a soul talk like Eminem. Most of them talked like Valley Girls, as a matter of fact.

I know a zillion people from Warren, including someone who personally went to high school with Eminem, and she talks exactly like I do: like a Detroiter. Eminem's weird diction is his attempt to sound like a gangsta rappa; it has nothing to do with coming from Warren, trust me.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:56 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Ebonics is more than just a dialect. Its promulgation is a statement that black people don't want to speak like the majority of the population. It's all about creating divisions among Americans. Similar to the push for Spanish usage. America is no longer a melting pot, it's a pot of political voting blocks.
My friend, America was NEVER a melting pot.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:07 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
My friend, America was NEVER a melting pot.
Why not, my friend?

Most people I know have ancestors from many different countries, and if you drive through most neighborhoods, you will find people, or the descendants of people, from all different countries.

Are all Americans and all areas of America perfectly blended into a homogeneous mixture? Of course not. But my point is that most people used to try and become assimilated into America until it became politically expedient not to do so.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:16 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
As a black american I am not thanking God everyday that I'm American. I do see how we are better off than many Africans but that doesnt mean America treats us so great either. There is nothing wrong with any ethnicity/race wanting something to themselves. Ebonics is just that for African Americans.
If you can find a better country to live in, why not move there? And if you can't find a better country, then why not be grateful to be American. Black Americans today have a better chance of living successful lives than blacks of any other country or at any other time. I'll agree that improvements still need to be made in many majority black communities for them to be considered comparable to the average majority white community. But why create differences, such as separate languages, that will further divide us. Why can't a black American speak like an average white American without being labeled a traitor to their race?

Old 09-14-2010, 02:57 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,522 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with any ethnicity/race wanting something to themselves.
Like the suburbs? Tuna fish with mayo on white bread? Lawrence Welk? What do white folks want to "keep to themselves"?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Like the suburbs? Tuna fish with mayo on white bread? Lawrence Welk? What do white folks want to "keep to themselves"?
lmao i guess you're trying to be funny? 1. I have absolutely NO, nada, non desire what so ever to live in the Metro area 2. I don't eat tuna much and I never like white bread 3. who the ____ is Lawrence Welk? Last time I checked black people aren't the ones known throughout history for taking or wanting everything whites have.........only the right to be treated equally which still haven't came into effect

Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,522 times
Quote:
.........only the right to be treated equally which still haven't came into effect
If you're applying for a job as a front-line contact person with a professional organization, I guarantee you won't be treated "equally" when you go into a job interview and say things like "...which still haven't came into effect". Is it equal opportunity you're looking for or equal results? I think you've already got the former. The latter is up to you. A person can only blame others for so long. Eventually people have to take stock and take responsibility for self-improvement. The playing field has been more than level for a long time, but you still have to play.

Last edited by and the; 09-15-2010 at 08:19 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 PM

282 posts, read 814,493 times
"Last time I checked black people aren't the ones known throughout history for taking or wanting everything whites have....."
Please elaborate.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
If you're applying for a job as a front-line contact person with a professional organization, I guarantee you won't be treated "equally" when you go into a job interview and say things like "...which still haven't came into effect". Is it equal opportunity you're looking for or equal results? I think you've already got the former. The latter is up to you. A person can only blame others for so long. Eventually people have to take stock and take responsibility for self-improvement. The playing field has been more than level for a long time, but you still have to play.
and you believe that because you're not black smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit