U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,700,060 times

Advertisements

Ok so I've been reading some threads about the "midwestern accent" and people say that we (Detroiters) have an accent, most say we sound southern????!! Do you think we have an accent? Do we really sound southern? I mean I think we do sound a little (very little) southern when we say some words like dog (dawg) and I also noticed how many Detroit people pronounce Chicago "Chicargo" but other than that and a couple other sayings I think we sound very flat. Opinions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:28 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,327,217 times
Depends on where in the city/metro you're from, your social standing, etc. etc.

Poorer Detroiters often sound more southern to me, and that's coming from a guy who originated in the hills of Appalachia. More wealthy Detroiters often sound very Canadian to me, and have that tendency to lengthen As, Us, and Es and not pronounce syllables.

A comparison of a few words I've noticed:
We say "sear-up" they say "surrhp", we say "cray-on" they say "craaaahn"

We being Kentuckians, higher class Detroiter accents sound Canadian and very proper to us, mine's a mix of southern, Chicago, and Michigan.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:23 PM

378 posts, read 834,247 times
I get "Canadian" all the time after I moved to NC - Grew up in GP which is north of Canada I guess!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:38 PM

4,115 posts, read 4,540,526 times
I am from Detroit and moved to NC in 98. Ever since I have been down here people say that I sound southern. They ask me where I am from when I tell them Detroit. They look at me in shock.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:21 AM

8 posts, read 25,871 times
Most of the working/lower class in Michigan are at most two generations away from the deep South. It seems like most are in denial? A large population traveled here from the 1930's on for the factory jobs. Good pay, no education needed. They brought their ways and culture and the state of Michigan changed. Rural living, xenophobia, clan mentalities, far reaching consequences of preferring segregation among all races became the norm. No one really talks about it. The city of Detroit is disappearing and urban farming is positively looked upon. The people in the suburbs are constantly trying to move farther away from anything resembling a metropolis in favor of isolation and country. Of course the accent is southern. What else would it be? On an episode of Justified (which is based in Kentucky) they had a character on from Detroit that sounded very southern. They referred to it on the show as the Detroit accent. I consider Michigan to be a southern state. Michigan stopped being mid-western about 30 years ago. Why doesn't anyone acknowledge it? Its a way of life and it took over Michigan.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:35 AM

6,940 posts, read 8,872,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Ok so I've been reading some threads about the "midwestern accent" and people say that we (Detroiters) have an accent, most say we sound southern????!! Do you think we have an accent? Do we really sound southern? I mean I think we do sound a little (very little) southern when we say some words like dog (dawg) and I also noticed how many Detroit people pronounce Chicago "Chicargo" but other than that and a couple other sayings I think we sound very flat. Opinions?
Michiganders sound Southern since the last Reagan-sponsored diaspora -- a zillion Texans heard during that recession that there were jobs up here and poured into the state. (Meanwhile, Michiganders heard there were jobs down there and poured into Texas. ) Since then Michigan has sounded a lot twangier and drawlier. But to me the Detroit accent is just like the "regionless diction" newscasters use. Exactly like people in Iowa.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 AM

179 posts, read 477,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Michiganders sound Southern since the last Reagan-sponsored diaspora -- a zillion Texans heard during that recession that there were jobs up here and poured into the state. (Meanwhile, Michiganders heard there were jobs down there and poured into Texas. ) Since then Michigan has sounded a lot twangier and drawlier. But to me the Detroit accent is just like the "regionless diction" newscasters use. Exactly like people in Iowa.

I get in this discussion all the time of whether or not people from MI/Detroit have an accent; and I agree with this poster - we sound just the way newscasters do. I don't hear a lengthened "o" like Minnesota, a drawl or twang from the south/TX, no dropping of "er" at the end of words like New England (to name a few examples).

I'd also have to agree with the southern influx - my grandparents were from Knoxville, TN and came up here to work in factories back in the day.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda264 View Post
Most of the working/lower class in Michigan are at most two generations away from the deep South. It seems like most are in denial? A large population traveled here from the 1930's on for the factory jobs. Good pay, no education needed. They brought their ways and culture and the state of Michigan changed. Rural living, xenophobia, clan mentalities, far reaching consequences of preferring segregation among all races became the norm. No one really talks about it. The city of Detroit is disappearing and urban farming is positively looked upon. The people in the suburbs are constantly trying to move farther away from anything resembling a metropolis in favor of isolation and country. Of course the accent is southern. What else would it be? On an episode of Justified (which is based in Kentucky) they had a character on from Detroit that sounded very southern. They referred to it on the show as the Detroit accent. I consider Michigan to be a southern state. Michigan stopped being mid-western about 30 years ago. Why doesn't anyone acknowledge it? Its a way of life and it took over Michigan.
maybe I should have started this thread off saying its ONLY ABOUT DETROIT ACCENTS! leave all the extra out or get off my thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:24 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,327,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda264 View Post
I dunno what you've been drinking, but Detroit especially, is not southern. The accents aren't even SOUTHERN southern. Maybe middle-Ohio southern.

I've never heard Detroit called a southern state though.

As I said before, as a southerner in Detroit, you guys sound like a bunch of Canucks :P

Sometimes there are some southern influences, but linguistically it has more in common with Chicago, Duluth, and Toronto.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I dunno what you've been drinking, but Detroit especially, is not southern. The accents aren't even SOUTHERN southern. Maybe middle-Ohio southern.

I've never heard Detroit called a southern state though.

As I said before, as a southerner in Detroit, you guys sound like a bunch of Canucks :P

Sometimes there are some southern influences, but linguistically it has more in common with Chicago, Duluth, and Toronto.
Chicago accent is more southern than Detroit but I think with all midwestern cities that have a sizable black population the accent is a little southern. The city of Detroit sounds a little different than the burbs also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or