U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:13 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,702,748 times

Advertisements

Boston Edison

"
Today Boston-Edison is a multi-racial neighborhood; census data from 2000[22] [23] (which includes the surrounding streets of Atkinson, Clairmount, and Glynn Court) show Boston-Edison is a primarily African-American neighborhood, but with a substantial white population. The homes are owned by people from diverse occupations and professions.[8]
The District boasts the oldest continuous neighborhood association in the City, the Historic Boston-Edison Association, which was founded in 1921.[8] The District received historic designation from the Michigan State Historic Preservation Office in 1973, the Detroit Historic District Commission in 1974, and the...."

Wikipedia^

Old 05-25-2010, 01:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,866 times
Why is Detroit so racist? At this point, who knows? Is it really racism or simply unjustified fear held by both blacks and whites based on ignorance? In my opinion, the only TRUE racism in Detroit and suburbs is perpetuated by old bigots who have a vested interest in selling racist messages to either stay in power or somehow profit from the standoff. In my opinion, the majority of young blacks and whites have been fed certain notions growing up and don't know what to think, so they are naturally afraid of what is unknown to them, or they have solidified certain stereotypes about those "other" people. The many threads in this forum that eventually digress to racial fingerpointing is telling evidence of this...

The attitudes of lots of people in SE Michigan is completely moronic, and personally, I am damn sick and tired of it. The racial tension in Detroit is ridiculous compared to other American cities, and why? Because a half century ago there was a riot? Most people alive today weren't even around for it. As a young person I can't understand why people continue to drag the past with them into the future, endlessly, as if to continuously relive history's worst memories. Remembering lessons from the past is important, but reliving them is less than senseless.

I grew up as a white kid in the suburbs. A paradise of soccer moms in minivans driving to minimalls. It was homogenous and bland, and dominated by people who held nonsensical beliefs and fears of DETROIT and yes, black people. Come on, if we're being honest, this is no secret. However, I, like many people, have come to realize that this fear is baseless, thoughtless, and a regression in logic and humanity. I do not have to guess when I say that the same thing is true for black kids who grew up in Detroit or other homogenous black communities- they will tell you so if you actually have an honest conversation. This is the first step to cutting through and ending the BS.

In college, I met many black kids who grew up just like me, totally isolated in segregation land. Because college temporarily removed us all from the Detroit vs. suburbs battlefield for a while, commonalities were found, bonds were forged, and friendships were made. We really didn't have that many differences at the core. However, this experience would have never happened in the racial crucible that is metro Detroit.

I moved into the city a few years ago because I am young, educated, and want to enjoy a city lifestyle before I need to settle down. There are tons of young white people in the suburbs who would love to live in the city as well (I know this because I grew up with them), yet, they are too worried about dealing with the race issues in Detroit. I am sure the exact same feeling is true for black people wanting to move into some boring neighborhood in Livonia. Honestly, why is it like this? The answer is there is no reason- other than some foolish thought process, which has absolutely no merit. It is just plain unwarranted fear and doubt, probably learned from some other person who had the same unwarranted fear and doubt.

Despite all of Detroit's challenges, the one thing we can actually fix without relying on the politicians is this nonsense racial tension. We are making our own destiny here. Is de facto segregation and bitterness based on ignorance really what we want? To do nothing to get over this like so many other cities have is to our own detriment. The choice is up to us, maybe the younger generation, to finally end this s#!t.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Umm, I would knock that percentage down to a third of that number to about 12%, give or take. So, that makes what you are talking about even more interesting.

Also, what is Oak Park in terms of affluence, as it is about 45% Black? What about Lathrup Village, which is about 50% Black now? What about parts of Harper Woods, which has seen an influx of more Black residents?
you're right. In 2008 I read it was 34% white but I just looked it up the other day and yep its only around 12%. And the bulk are still in SW Detroit. So with that being said, again, WHERE ARE ALL THE BLACK PEOPLE?

oh on another thread a guy who went to WSU even said that downtown was only 15% black, 50% white and the rest hispanic??? I new I wasn't imagining this stuff smh. Yes downtown does seem like its majority white when its an event but go downtown during any other day and you will see different. I don't like that. I'm tired of the media trying to jportray every black person in Detroit to be extra poor and all white people living within the city and metro to be wealthy. I wish they would show the truth sometimes.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:03 AM

970 posts, read 2,541,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
WHERE ARE ALL THE BLACK PEOPLE?
Detroit is the blackest major city in the United States. You're bound to find one.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:05 PM

5 posts, read 19,202 times
Who said Detroit was a racist city? You're making an assumption there.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansando View Post
Who said Detroit was a racist city? You're making an assumption there.

Lets see, I'm 22, born and raised here, I think I know if its racist or not. I'm not assuming

Old 05-31-2010, 07:03 PM

902 posts, read 2,371,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Lets see, I'm 22, born and raised here, I think I know if its racist or not. I'm not assuming
Just b/c you grew up somewhere doesn't mean that you can label a whole city as a certain way based on your experiences. You likely know under 1% of Detroit's total population.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 AM

51 posts, read 107,108 times
I was born in Detroit and was part of the white flight out of the city. I've since lived in many states and do consider the Detroit area to be the most segretaged (physically and psychologically) of the places Ive lived.

The core of the racism today, in my opinion, comes from the white flight generation and their immediate children. The blacks and whites on both sides of that divide, and within those generations, have a healthy amount of mistrust. They are the ones who watched the city segregate or heard about it directly from their parents. Both sides have their list of arguments as to the cause but it's these two or three generations that really experienced it viscerally and keep the arguments close to their hearts. For the younger folks, it's simply always been that way.

In my case I know that several of my white family members had negative feelings towards blacks. It was mostly, probably entirely, unspoken but I knew it was there. Ive felt it myself and that's rooted in experiences that my family had in Detroit and that I remember to this day.

I would expect that as these generations die or move away that the situation will improve a bit. Of course there will still be a laundry list of reasons for the metro area to remain divided. But I think it will be less of a personal divide.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:12 PM

333 posts, read 971,436 times
In my opinion, Detroit is racist because of odd diversity. Metro Detroit's population is made up of many groups that don't usually occupy the rest of the United States. Alot of the groups I've noticed are:

- Polish
- Irish
- Croats
- Southerners (implying to both classed "Southerners" and low class "Hillbillies")
- African/Caribbean Blacks
- Serbs
- Arabs
- Ukranians
- Koreans

Ancestral tension between these groups and the successors to the historical population of Detroit may cause racial conflicts. For example, I classed hillbillies as low class southerners. Hillbillies have a long history of racial conflict with blacks, which may lead to racism against them.

I've also mentioned Croats and Serbs, who for about 100 years have been enemies. Being a Croat myself, I've noticed that in school, my fellow Croats tend to isolate themselves completely from the Serbs, or in the worst case scenario, will begin to fight.

Then, there's the famous "Detroit gentrification". Many whites left the city in 1967. Blacks are now beginning to leave the city, and the whites are being shifted out of their comfort zone. In such a case, I believe the whites will then begin to become racist against the Blacks.

There's always been a short division between whites and blacks in Metro Detroit. For example, we can look at Hazel Park and the neighborhood south of it. In 2000, there was an obvious boundary - 8 Mile Road.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,141 times
Assuming for the sake of arguement the premise is true and Detriot is racist, by that, you mean white people from Detriot are racist, I wonder if electing a d*ldo like Kwame Kilpatrick , the self proclaimed "hip-hop mayor" and convicted crook helps bring people together. If you want respect as a community, elect people with the highest standards, not bottom feeders like Kilpatrick who embarrass the city and black people with his all around stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or