Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 AM

59 posts, read 306,826 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of these young liberal kids who think everything in life is the way college made it seem. What are stereotypes if they're true? Stop living in this "obama healed the nation of it's racial tension and made us all equal" la la land. Just because you met some black people in school that happened to like baseball and nacho cheese doritos just like you doesn't deflect from the FACT that the higher the black population of a city, the higher the crime rate. Do some research, you're already at the perfect website for it. So perhaps all of your suburbanite soccer moms and friends are simply aware of the facts and take a guarded stance on the issue. I'm tired of the "I'm college educated and therefore I'm smart enough to see through the divide" BS. I spent 4 years at Eastern and that experience solidified my position on this issue. Take your liberal equal love attitude and go for a nice stroll down Lahser & Fenkell at about 11:30 some Saturday night... why not? How about Southfield & W. Chicago? Now, how about 11 mile & Main St. in downtown Royal Oak, or 15 Mile & Decker in Walled Lake? Obviously you see my point.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:11 AM

333 posts, read 1,154,396 times
delayed, I find your post appalling. There are plenty of bad White neighborhoods in Metro Detroit. Roseville and Center Line are almost completely white cities. I've droven through Roseville and there was literally trash thrown into the streets. Not rubbish, literally bags of trash. In the middle of Gratiot.

And have you driven down Woodward lately? Go from 696 to Downtown Birmingham at about 8:00 PM and make note of all the businesses that put up those safety grates when they close. Make note of all the empty lots and how bad the lawns are in them. Make note of all the abandoned businesses that are now left in boards.

And then make note of how many black people you see in Royal Oak.

The riots made Detroit worse, but the result of the riots - a result commited by white people, white flight - destroyed it. And then we elected Coleman, the famous magician that made money dissapear, and he let Bloods and Crips run wild in the city.

And the whites left and divided themselves from the blacks with 8 Mile, Middlebelt, Alter and Goddard. And for years, those have been the divisions between white and black. And now, because blacks are crossing these so-called "ethnic boundaries", racial tensions are arising because the whites had purposely seperated themselves to begin with.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:04 AM

LOL @ The idea that white flight was white people's fault. You're right, people should have just stayed on board the Titanic.

I like how you find my post "appalling" but then don't touch the main issue...or did you? Are you saying walking down W. Chicago at 11:30 at night is the exact same as walking down Woodward between 13 and 14 mile? If so, then you're clearly misinformed. If you do however agree that the situations you may find yourself in are drastically different.... why?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Also, I invite you to compare the violent crime rates of the two white trash cities you mentioned to that of Detroit. I also don't see very many abandoned sky scrapers in center line... only in Detroit and Baghdad.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 AM

51 posts, read 124,000 times
You seem to be focused on the race rather than the poverty and culture. There are parts of Glasgow, Scotland where you'd get your head beaten in walking around in that same time frame. It's the murder capital of Western Europe (and still very white). And they do it the hard way, with fists and knives.

But I agree that white flight can't be pinned on whites alone. It took two to play and the Belle Isle race riot showed that the great migration didnt go smoothly. When my grandparents arrived in Detroit, there were only 50,000 black people, and that was a big increase from the decade before.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
delayed, I find your post appalling. There are plenty of bad White neighborhoods in Metro Detroit. Roseville and Center Line are almost completely white cities. I've droven through Roseville and there was literally trash thrown into the streets. Not rubbish, literally bags of trash. In the middle of Gratiot.

And have you driven down Woodward lately? Go from 696 to Downtown Birmingham at about 8:00 PM and make note of all the businesses that put up those safety grates when they close. Make note of all the empty lots and how bad the lawns are in them. Make note of all the abandoned businesses that are now left in boards.

And then make note of how many black people you see in Royal Oak.

The riots made Detroit worse, but the result of the riots - a result commited by white people, white flight - destroyed it. And then we elected Coleman, the famous magician that made money dissapear, and he let Bloods and Crips run wild in the city.

And the whites left and divided themselves from the blacks with 8 Mile, Middlebelt, Alter and Goddard. And for years, those have been the divisions between white and black. And now, because blacks are crossing these so-called "ethnic boundaries", racial tensions are arising because the whites had purposely seperated themselves to begin with.
Wait, what? You're the one who usually talks about black thugs, yet now you come to their rescue.

Roseville is NOT an all white city anymore. It is quickly becoming more black by the day. A TON of Detroit traffic comes through everyday via the SMART BUS 560 on Gratiot, and if you pay close attention, its most of THEM who litter the Gratiot and surrounding areas. Bus stops with tipped over grocery carts, fast food bags, etc.

You're barely old enough to reach the pedals in your mom's car, quit acting as if you know the history and current status of every city in the area. Blame whitey now, go ahead.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Nope, the culture is exactly what I've got a problem with. If you've got a group of Scot's feeling entitled to everything for free, with their pants down around their knees, blasting music that glorifies murder, degradation of women and selling crack, and where ever they happen to end up the crime rate in that city climbs with their population...well.. I'll harp on them just as hard. Theres actually nothing that makes me sicker than seeing a white kid in the suburbs acting like this. The culture is the problem I'm confronting, and it's perfectly capable of crossing the racial platforms. It just so happens that it's black people who embrace it so closely.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:09 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delayed View Post
Nope, the culture is exactly what I've got a problem with. If you've got a group of Scot's feeling entitled to everything for free, with their pants down around their knees, blasting music that glorifies murder, degradation of women and selling crack, and where ever they happen to end up the crime rate in that city climbs with their population...well.. I'll harp on them just as hard. Theres actually nothing that makes me sicker than seeing a white kid in the suburbs acting like this. The culture is the problem I'm confronting, and it's perfectly capable of crossing the racial platforms. It just so happens that it's black people who embrace it so closely.
Exactly. People are quick to toss the word "Racist" out when you point out facts. Once people stop making excuses such as poverty and racist whites.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Yeah, no one ever wants to comment on the relation blacks have to crime rates on cities.. sorry, it's just a fact, this web site proves it beyond any doubt by placing the information right before your eyes if you care to look.

I don't want blacks in general moving into my neighborhood, is it because I am a racist, or a realist? If I look at the statistics, why would I want a higher crime rate? Generally speaking of course. I have a black guy who lives near me who is a hell of a guy, but he's also a successful executive at a local insurance firm. Funny thing is, I've had this very conversation with him, and he's more adamant about it than I am. He's said if the ghetto blacks start moving in he's selling as soon as he see's them coming. My God, he's SO racist.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:34 PM

51 posts, read 124,000 times
I didnt call you a racist. I just noted that there are violent white slums in the world as well. You agreed that it's culture so we have no problem. I don't approve of it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit