U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:27 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,701,222 times

Advertisements

I know the history of the metro and it playing a major part. I've been reading threads on here and I just can not believe some of the comments. Besides that, what really made me make this thread, I was on youtube looking at videos to post on the Cleveland vs Detroit thread and the "affluent" neighborhoods they only show white people. I don't understand this when majority of the affluent neighborhoods here are majority black! Even the brand new subdivisions like Jefferson Village or Conner Creek industrial. I mean I have no issue with them showing white people but where are all the black people? It's only right to give the CORRECT story of these areas. If you had somebody who didn't want to live around black people (I know near impossible in Detroit) move to say Indian Village or Rosedale park with this thought that the whole neighborhood was white wouldn't that be misleading? Or you can go it the other route as well. Why is it when they show the ghetto they only show black people??? I understand that majority of the WHOLE city is black but if you can go out your way to search for the minority whites in the upper class areas why not show the whites in the lower class (which is where the majority actually live). I'm honestly starting to hate this. It just seems to me that they are trying to give this ficade to bring in more "diversity". Why does the city seem to be begging for white people to move in now? Its 2010 blacks, whites, asians, hispanics etc have money....not just white people. That's like going to Warren and portraying it to be majority black or to Howell and trying to create this image that black people are widely accepted. idk its just very misleading to me.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:03 PM

20,554 posts, read 22,721,792 times
Let's see if I can present a rational explanation.

Detroit is majority black.

Rosedale and Sherwood are majority Black.

Palmer Woods is combination of folks.

Indian Village is majority white.

Boston Edison seems to be leaning toward being cacausian as well.

So, I guess the question that needs to be answered, who or what is the standard to qualify someone as "affluent?"

I do not believe any MAJOR African American sports person resides on Detroit? (Do we know why?)

Even the new mayor had to move "back" into Detroit to run as he lived in West Bloomfield. (And we reallythink he sold that to be at the Boogie-Mansion?)

If we are looking for "affluent" African AMericans, look north and northwest of the city--Southfield, Bloomfield, and even the Grosse Pointes / Woods.

Unless of couse we stretch the defination of "affluent" to include the likes of ex-council member Monica "Do You Know Who The #$@# I AM?" Conyers and the others currently on city council.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:27 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,663,277 times
beacuse media thinks that by playing us against each other.. black/white poor/rich.. they can get ratings which means money.. they do not want all of us to get along..sad but true..

Old 05-23-2010, 10:57 PM

15,697 posts, read 34,693,659 times
I am unsure...BUT...

Michigan does seem to have that element to it...don't know why either.

I grew up in MI...and later went to live in NYC...and racial relations felt so much better to me...(despite people saying and thinking they weren't great in NY...they were light years ahead of MI in every way).

I also noticed in NYC, significantly more advertising goes into AA as well...I mean, more commericals using black actors in most forms for most local types of stuff.

Its been quite awhile since I lived in MI...but I can't recall seeing many AA representation on many local Detroit commercials, etc.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

So, I guess the question that needs to be answered, who or what is the standard to qualify someone as "affluent?"

I do not believe any MAJOR African American sports person resides on Detroit? (Do we know why?)

Even the new mayor had to move "back" into Detroit to run as he lived in West Bloomfield. (And we reallythink he sold that to be at the Boogie-Mansion?)

If we are looking for "affluent" African AMericans, look north and northwest of the city--Southfield, Bloomfield, and even the Grosse Pointes / Woods.

Unless of couse we stretch the defination of "affluent" to include the likes of ex-council member Monica "Do You Know Who The #$@# I AM?" Conyers and the others currently on city council.
Actually I read that Indian Village is majority black 54% sorry. I don't know if palmer woods is majority white or black but I know the westside seems to have the least amount of whites. Also my cousin use to live in Boston Edison on Boston (westside) and it wasn't many white people over there so I don't think its majority white either. Detroit is only like 34% white and the bulk actually live in southwest in working class/lower class. Southfield??? is a suburbanized ghetto. And here is a secret for you shhh don't tell lol ITS A LOT OF DRUG DEALERS IN SOUTHFIELD! thats where they go smh when they get to that "kingpin" status. My god dad once told my dad "when I moved to Southfield I thought I was getting away from all the drug dealers but they all live in Southfield" lol Bloomfield? Grosse Pointe? its blacks in these cities but they are still by far majority white. And also why do a "affluent" black person have to be an athlete? Smh

Old 05-24-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
beacuse media thinks that by playing us against each other.. black/white poor/rich.. they can get ratings which means money.. they do not want all of us to get along..sad but true..
yes true! I believe you. But the thing is people need to realize that plenty of people besides white people have money to spend. Just like plenty of white people don't have money to spend lol

Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I am unsure...BUT...

Michigan does seem to have that element to it...don't know why either.

I grew up in MI...and later went to live in NYC...and racial relations felt so much better to me...(despite people saying and thinking they weren't great in NY...they were light years ahead of MI in every way).

I also noticed in NYC, significantly more advertising goes into AA as well...I mean, more commericals using black actors in most forms for most local types of stuff.

Its been quite awhile since I lived in MI...but I can't recall seeing many AA representation on many local Detroit commercials, etc.
Yes MI is crazy with this stuff. I wasn't really talking about commercials but the videos on the net they use to try to get people to move into certain areas. They don't show many black people even though sometimes the area is mostly black

Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

oh IV might be more than 54% black this article says it approx 64.4% black......It was a long time ago when I read the other article I don't know if it said 54% or 64% but I do remember it saying its was majority African American

"For the truly adventurous there is Indian Village located among the ruins of East Detroit. Indian Village is a 6 by 3 block architectural gem of a neighborhood that was originally served by streetcars. The eclectic mixture of large mansions and houses of lesser ambition are on city-sized lots in a wide array architectural styles. The prices for these Grande Dames of Gilded Age gentility would make a San Franciscan cry as unfortunately, this lovely compact neighborhood is surrounded on all sides by some very mean streets. This problem is somewhat mitigated by a pro-active Indian Village Homeowners Association that has hired its own security. The mean household income for Indian Village in 2000 was $99,381. The neighborhood of approximately 350 homes is 64.4% African-American."

so my question again.....where are all the black people???

http://higley1000.com/archives/50

Old 05-24-2010, 11:01 AM

52,636 posts, read 75,477,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Actually I read that Indian Village is majority black 54% sorry. I don't know if palmer woods is majority white or black but I know the westside seems to have the least amount of whites. Also my cousin use to live in Boston Edison on Boston (westside) and it wasn't many white people over there so I don't think its majority white either. Detroit is only like 34% white and the bulk actually live in southwest in working class/lower class. Southfield??? is a suburbanized ghetto. And here is a secret for you shhh don't tell lol ITS A LOT OF DRUG DEALERS IN SOUTHFIELD! thats where they go smh when they get to that "kingpin" status. My god dad once told my dad "when I moved to Southfield I thought I was getting away from all the drug dealers but they all live in Southfield" lol Bloomfield? Grosse Pointe? its blacks in these cities but they are still by far majority white. And also why do a "affluent" black person have to be an athlete? Smh
Umm, I would knock that percentage down to a third of that number to about 12%, give or take. So, that makes what you are talking about even more interesting.

Also, what is Oak Park in terms of affluence, as it is about 45% Black? What about Lathrup Village, which is about 50% Black now? What about parts of Harper Woods, which has seen an influx of more Black residents?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Umm, I would knock that percentage down to a third of that number to about 12%, give or take. So, that makes what you are talking about even more interesting.

Also, what is Oak Park in terms of affluence, as it is about 45% Black? What about Lathrup Village, which is about 50% Black now? What about parts of Harper Woods, which has seen an influx of more Black residents?
well its listed as having 34% white 11% hispanic. Oak Park is nice but like I pointed out on my last thread, the cops there still harrass black people which is crazy since plenty of black people do live there. My brother used to stay there back in 99/2000. One of the main reasons he moved is because the police would pull him over just about every night on his way home smh. He hated so now he live in East English Village. I know other people, still to this day, who had that problem in Oak Park (mostly black males). I don't know about Lathrup and Harper Woods is still by far majority white. My aunt lives in Harper Woods and its a few black people on her block but you do see way more white people over there. What surprised me about HW though is the number of empty (I don't want to say abandon since its gives a bad image) homes. But since majority of the suburbs are around 90% white and the city being over 80% black I'd be willing to believe the bulk of "affluent blacks" still stay within city limits. Its just that people don't believe we even have affluent neighborhoods let alone as many as we actually do. I mean most of the city is rough but there are areas where its livable and people still stay there. For instance:

Outer Drive (East & West)
Indian Village
Rosedale Park
Palmer Park
West Village
Jefferson Village *new
Conner Creek Industrial *new
East Boston
East English Village
Chandler Park Drive area
West Canfield
Woodbridge
Sherwood Forest & the University District
East Jefferson Ave
Where the Mayors Mansion is I beilieve its called the berry Subdivision

and even newer/rennovated areas like Jefferson-Chalmers district which recently had a lot of homes built in the area. And to my knowledge and from what I see majority of these areas (and some others) are majority black, even the brand new subs like Conner Creek Indus and Jefferson Village. I have yet to see any white people in either. My friend's grandmother also stays on Jefferson in an area that is old (older homes) that hasn't had any problems. Its alway been nice over there and still is. Very quiet, nice homes and nice people. And its majority black. It just frustrates me when they show the nicer areas and only show white people or downtown on a day or a festival or game and only show white people then people get this inccorrect image of Detroit. Because on any given day without it being a game or festival or something going on in Greek town, its not anywhere near as many white people in the whole city. So why not show the actual black residents who are doing something other than robbing and killing?

oh and if you were to take out the ones who stay in SW Detroit I wouldn't be surprised if the actual number was closer to 12% than 34%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or