Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:23 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times

Advertisements

If the latest estimates are correct (2010 population is 700,000 - 750,000), Detroit would lose its stance as the 2nd largest Midwest city to Indianapolis.

While METRO Detroit still beats Indianapolis 2 to 1, it statistically doesn't matter (when it comes to federal dollars).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
I think its important to note that the population decline for the state of Michigan, from 2000, was not nearly as bad as predicted. The state was down about 50,000 people since then. The birth rate among African Americans is higher and the mobility is lower. The Hispanic population in the city is probably up slightly, as well as the white population, which might mute the loss of black population to the the suburbs and out of state. Unlike previous recessions, the whole nation is really hurting. The number one magnet area for blacks leaving Detroit has been Atlanta and North Carolina. Both states have been hit hard by the recession/depression and don't offer much opportunity for the poor and unskilled like the did in the past. Thus, although there is a "Push" factor to leave Detroit, there is not as strong as a "pull" factor as in the past, from booming sun belt cities. What is going to be the big question is how many blacks moved to the suburbs. I think the count will be adjusted for traditional minority undercount as well.

Thus, taking all that into consideration.....my hypothesis is 835,000, with a marging of error of about 15,000 for the city.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think the count will be adjusted for traditional minority undercount as well.

Thus, taking all that into consideration.....my hypothesis is 835,000, with a marging of error of about 15,000 for the city.
I believe there would be widespread undercounting across most racial and socioeconomic lines in the city. It's not just people afraid of the census taker, like the homeless and illegal aliens; it's people claiming to live in the suburbs (but actually living in the city) so they can have cheaper car insurance, send their children to other schools, and get out of paying city income tax. If you're sending your kid to East Detroit High using your sister's address on Tuscany, you really can't say on the census form that he lives on Cedargrove. I'm going to guess about 800-825K.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:09 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Even downtown, there's a collapsed highrise right in front of the People Mover track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I wouldn't waste your time on this poster's advice. So far said poster said there is gang warfare on Gratiot in Eastpointe, and a boarded up apartment complex on Mound in Sterling Heights. Neither exist, nor does a collapsed high rise.
Sorry to dig this up, but I found this photo and it jogged my memory about this part of the thread.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,640 times
Quote:
Sorry to dig this up, but I found this photo and it jogged my memory about this part of the thread.
Yeah who owns that building? Ilitch owns the United Artists Building (the orange building in the background). I'd like to know why it hasn't been demolished. Clearly, it is beyond the point of rehabilitation. I know it has been used a movie set several times now, including in the remake of Red Dawn that filmed last year. If the city owns it, it should be torn down; if someone else owns it, they should be fined daily.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:08 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
I'd like to know why it hasn't been demolished. Clearly, it is beyond the point of rehabilitation.
Me too. Something like that, being so close to the People Mover, really does leave a bad impression on tourists and newcomers to the area. Its ashame. And, chances are, it's probably either owned by the city or a private person. I don't think Illitch Holdings or some other property company would let anything get to that point.

And while we're on the subject of abandoned downtown buildings, ForStarters, do you happen to know what's going on with the former Harbor Light Center between Woodward and Cass? I heard it was supposed to be converted into condos (and rightfully so, the downtown view must be amazing). But I drove past it today, and, well, nothing yet. Just wondering if you heard anything.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,640 times
Quote:
Me too. Something like that, being so close to the People Mover, really does leave a bad impression on tourists and newcomers to the area. Its ashame. And, chances are, it's probably either owned by the city or a private person. I don't think Illitch Holdings or some other property company would let anything get to that point.

And while we're on the subject of abandoned downtown buildings, ForStarters, do you happen to know what's going on with the former Harbor Light Center between Woodward and Cass? I heard it was supposed to be converted into condos (and rightfully so, the downtown view must be amazing). But I drove past it today, and, well, nothing yet. Just wondering if you heard anything.
Detroit - Google Maps (The building on the left)

No, I haven't heard anything, and to be honest, I have little hope for that bldg and the old Eddystone Hotel, which is the bldg right next to it. That whole area of lower Midtown west of Woodward is really a mess. Those two buildings are in bad shape, but I'd love to see them saved. Another thing is all those weedy lots that people park on during events... The whole area ticks me off. Rumor is that Ilitch is going to plunk down his new hockey arena in that area given that he owns a lot of that property, including potentially the Harbor Light Bldg and Eddystone. Whatever happens, I hope someone makes an effort soon because there is no reason for that area to exist like that- everything else around it is successful. The landowners are simply sitting on their hands waiting for something to happen and not developing it. The property itself is very expensive and the area could be vibrant. If and when it does get developed, I think it will definitely have a ripple effect going northeast on Cass Park/ old Chinatown and also help spur Brush Park to finish filling in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit