Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlenyram View Post
Hey Ohky0815 If you're looking for Scientifically Erase your Diabetes I'd recommend this page Reverse-Your-Diabetes-Now.com - Official Website
No thanks. Im fine with my broken body

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I'm sorry, but "normal" is different for everyone (we're human beings not machines!). Some people can run high numbers for years with no problems, and others can have low (even "normal") a1c's and have neuropathy. It is more than high blood sugar in itself that causes issues. In fact, research has shown that high INSULIN is far worse than high glucose.

My a1c is higher than OP, yet my doctor agrees with me that I am otherwise in excellent health, far better than most people my age and since the meds make me sick he is fine with me managing it on my own, like the OP, as long as it stays within a certain range.

And I do agree with OP's definition of "reversal." Fact is, NO ONE should be eating tons of crap and not exercising anyway. This is why so many more people have diabetes and other diseases today, anyway - too much bad processed food and too little activity. Like OP, I have cleaned up my diet and work out consistently with strength training and aerobic activity (daily) and my health has improved 1000%. I feel better today than I did when I was half my age! And both my doctors have said what great shape I am and that my age would be difficult to guess.
You arent under control if your A1C is still high. Now if you started your D journey at 15% and youre now at 6%, thats lowered and you may be right but you didnt say that, nor did OP.

Im not really arguing about it. You CANT reverse D through science or a Dr. If you eat salads or hamburgers all day and your A1C is lower and BG in stable range, then great but youre living a lie if you think it wont come roaring its ugly head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
No thanks. Im fine with my broken body

You arent under control if your A1C is still high. Now if you started your D journey at 15% and youre now at 6%, thats lowered and you may be right but you didnt say that, nor did OP.

Im not really arguing about it. You CANT reverse D through science or a Dr. If you eat salads or hamburgers all day and your A1C is lower and BG in stable range, then great but youre living a lie if you think it wont come roaring its ugly head.
Whatever. I listen to my doctor and he agrees with me, so it doesn't really matter what you or anyone else thinks!

Old 09-20-2014, 02:27 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Your diabetes is not reversed; it is under control.

Under control
is
not
reversed.

You are still a diabetic.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:15 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Quote:
Whatever. I listen to my doctor and he agrees with me, so it doesn't really matter what you or anyone else thinks!
What would your glucometer say if you ate a nice big candy bar right now and then tested your blood sugar in 1-1/2 hours? (unless you're on insulin, that is)

Glucometers know what's up.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:30 AM

240 posts, read 586,219 times
Default diabetes doesn't "go away"

Quote:
I personally know a person who at one time was on EXACTLY the same boat as you. He had real good readings for quite awhile (obviously he was eating right until he decided he was cured), decided he was "cured" and 10 years later had his leg amputated. Any suggestions as to why? I wonder if your doctor will someday admit he was wrong or if you will just be considered another amputee or heart attack statistic.

Any doctor has a fool for a patient if the patient believes that diabetes "goes away" and any patient has a fool for a doctor if the doctor believes that diabetes "goes away". In other words there are two fools involved and the doctor should be ashamed of him or her self because that is exactly what you want to believe so I can't really blame you.

Last edited by 13levine; 09-21-2014 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: correcton

Old 09-21-2014, 03:06 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,991 times
Quote:
You said your A1C is 6.4, but also claim its normal. A truly normal, non D A1C is in the 4-5% range. Youre not normal.
Ok, maybe you want to argue with me for argument's sake, which I don't like doing. I gave you the facts from WEDMD, and I guess you want to tell me now how my A1c isn't normal. SAYS WHO? BY WHO'S DEFINITION OR CRITERIA FOR NORMAL RANGE? Are you a doctor? You are not my doctor, and according to my HMO Kaiser Permanente, and here is the chart or graph of my A1C test results for you to look at:

Component Results

Component Standard Range Your Value
HGBA1C <=6.9 % 6.2

ESTIMATED AVERAGE GLUCOSE 131
General Information

Collected:
05/24/2014 11:58 AM
Resulted:
05/25/2014 6:35 PM

According to MY HMO they see 6.9& or lower as a standard healthy range. Reverse as defined by my doctor means to turn in the opposite direction A1C going down and now up anymore; or send A1C on the opposite course. MUST I SAY MORE

Last edited by antredd; 09-21-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 09-21-2014, 04:42 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Ok, maybe you want to argue with me for argument's sake, which I don't like doing. I gave you the facts from WEDMD, and I guess you want to tell me now how my A1c isn't normal. SAYS WHO? BY WHO'S DEFINITION OR CRITERIA FOR NORMAL RANGE? Are you a doctor? You are not my doctor, and according to my HMO Kaiser Permanente, and here is the chart or graph of my A1C test results for you to look at:

Component Results

Component Standard Range Your Value
HGBA1C <=6.9 % 6.2

ESTIMATED AVERAGE GLUCOSE 131
General Information

Collected:
05/24/2014 11:58 AM
Resulted:
05/25/2014 6:35 PM

According to MY HMO they see 6.9& or lower as a standard healthy range. Reverse as defined by my doctor means to turn in the opposite direction A1C going down and now up anymore; or send A1C on the opposite course. MUST I SAY MORE
You said your diabetes is reversed. A NON diabetic person has a NORMAL a1c in the 4-5% range. Yours is STILL in the Diabetic range. Even the goal A1C is 5% for MOST drs.

So you still have diabetes. Its not reversed.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
You said your diabetes is reversed. A NON diabetic person has a NORMAL a1c in the 4-5% range. Yours is STILL in the Diabetic range. Even the goal A1C is 5% for MOST drs.

So you still have diabetes. Its not reversed.
I am not going to keep beating a dead horse after this post. My doctor has told me emphatically that my diabetes is well under control as long as I maintain my weight which is still under 180 pounds for a 5'7'' man, and I watch my diabetes by checking my blood sugar levels periodically. I NEVER SAID THAT I WAS CURED OF DIABETES. But using my doctor's diagnosis, my diabetes has been reversed. Reversed doesn't mean CURED. Let me say that again. Reverse does not mean cured!

What reversed means is what my doctor has defined as lowering my A1C levels to an ACCEPTABLE RANGE, meaning that my high blood sugar level has been reversed from a very high A1c level of 13 to what my HMO says is an acceptable range of 6.2. Yes, I will die a diabetic, but I don't have to die prematurely from diabetes (if you know what I mean) by not eating healthier nor exercising that most of us should be doing in the first place.

I keep my diabetes under control with prayer and my faith. I exercise 6 days a week, by walking 10,000 steps a day, and exercising at least 45 minutes. I walk on the treadmill for 30-45 minutes 6 days a week, and I do strength training 3 days a week using light dumbbells up to 30 pounds for 30 minutes. So on the days I do my strength training, I walk on the treadmill for only 30 minutes. Sometimes I walk up and down my stairs in my house about 40 times just to switch things up from walking on my treadmill.

I eat very clean meaning, I don't eat white rice, white bread, and potatoes. I don't eat any fast foods except fast foods that are fresh or have 500 and under calorie menus. Also, I eat mainly fresh fruits and vegetables as well as drink plenty of water every day. I drink green teas too.

I am keeping my weight off as a result of this new lifestyle habit, and my doctor has said that she uses me as an example to her other patients who are still struggling with keeping their A1C in what my HMO says is an acceptable range to remain healthy. I am 47 years old,and still look like I am 39 lol. The pix in my profile was taken today.

So I can't be any clearer than what I am doing to keep my diabetes reversed. If you still don't agree with me. OK, CAUSE I am done

Last edited by antredd; 09-23-2014 at 01:04 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 06:04 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,376,134 times
I've been diabetic now 4 years, lost 55 lbs m 46 years yrs old and completely changed the way I eat..When I was first tested my a1c was 7.8 and was on 1000mg of Metformin for about 2.5 years then Dr lowered it to 500mg.. As of Tuesday it was 5.1 and now off of the Metformin competely. Now I really have to watch myself, as I still eat dessert and snacks...

My morning Readings have been 95-106 every day...

I had my blood work done and my fasting glucose is 100 Dr says that is normal for a Non Diabetic...I just know now being off the Meds I really do have to watch myself, But I wouldnt say that I reversed it...

Old 09-28-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I've been diabetic now 4 years, lost 55 lbs m 46 years yrs old and completely changed the way I eat..When I was first tested my a1c was 7.8 and was on 1000mg of Metformin for about 2.5 years then Dr lowered it to 500mg.. As of Tuesday it was 5.1 and now off of the Metformin competely. Now I really have to watch myself, as I still eat dessert and snacks...

My morning Readings have been 95-106 every day...

I had my blood work done and my fasting glucose is 100 Dr says that is normal for a Non Diabetic...I just know now being off the Meds I really do have to watch myself, But I wouldnt say that I reversed it...
You give many diabetics hope who just try to lose some weight, exercise, and really watch their diet. I applaud you for doing something that is really hard for most of us diabetics to do. Since I love living, I have pretty much done, with prayer, the same thing. If you see my pix in my profile, I am 40 pounds lighter than I was 5 years ago. I am slimmer and leaner.

I think some people get mixed up with having diabetes and reversing it. Reversing it doesn't mean that you are cured. I was told by my doctor that once u you are diagnosed a diabetic, you are forever a diabetic. But you can reverse the numbers to what your doctor or hmo says is a normal enough range to be taken off of meds. I am not shooting insulin in my body anymore nor am I on metformin either.

I hope I have cleared up any misunderstandings because another poster wants to argue me down about my saying what my doctor told me about my diabetes being reversed to a normal/acceptable range. Normal/acceptable range is just what our hmos or doctors think on average is acceptable. It may be acceptable for a patient who doesn't have organ damage where as another level may not be for a patient who is still 50 or more pounds overweight and on meds to control it. The bottom line is to get your A1c levels down to where we don't have to worry about our blood sugar being so high to cause any organ damage or heath concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes