Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:54 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,397,719 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the post. I had my blood taken today. I will post the lab results when I get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:52 PM

Blood test results came back good for my lipid panel. But my A1c is 6.2. It's not where my doctor wants it to be, below 5.9, but I will eventually get there.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,837,471 times
a1c of 6.2 is great. Mine is hovering at 7.3 for last year and doctor says that is good for me. I admire your determination. I'm just not there yet and needed surgery for huge hernia - my second- has me depressed. I've gained 50 lbs since my hysterectomy 3 years ago. bummer....

Old 10-23-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
a1c of 6.2 is great. Mine is hovering at 7.3 for last year and doctor says that is good for me. I admire your determination. I'm just not there yet and needed surgery for huge hernia - my second- has me depressed. I've gained 50 lbs since my hysterectomy 3 years ago. bummer....
Sorry to hear about your weight gain. But just like you gained it, you can lose it as well. Hang in there.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 PM

20,256 posts, read 36,954,673 times
This is the way I have managed type 2 diabetes:

1. Attended a class on nutrition, and learned which foods increase the level of glucose after a meal
2. Learned everything about food labels and the ingredients
3. Learned how to balance a meal on the plate so that there is a serving of carbohydrates (1/3 cup of rice, for example) not to exceed 15 grams or so of carbo., a serving of protein (a serving of meat, of fish, or tuna, etc.), and as much salad as I want (lettuce, tomato, cabbage and so forth). Carrots have carbohydrates, so keep in mind to add this portion of carbohydrates to the total amount per meal
4. No fat or skin milk in my coffee, plus no sugar nor any other sweetener. Just coffee and skim milk
6. No candy of any kind, cookies, chocolate. However, I can have a small piece of candy, or cake, or a very small portion of ice cream ONLY on special occasions (maybe once per month?)
7. I like tuna, and if I ever buy it in a can, I look at the label carefully for salt contents: some have 1% salt, or 4%, or 6%, or 13%. I buy the one with 1% even if I have to pay more for it
8. The worst foods ever are processed foods: hotdogs, white flour (bread, etc.), bologna, pepperoni, and so forth (I don't consume those anymore)
9. Added fiber to my foods to slow digestion. The fiber I use does not have sugar nor any other sweetener
10. Walk outside each day, or inside for 30-minutes on a treadmill
11. Foods low in fat, no candy, no cake, no cookies, no honey, not corn sugar, no sugar or any other sweetener, no soda nor any other bottled juices ( the average 12-ounce bottle of juice can have from 6-9 teaspoons of sugar). Fresh or frozen juices are better than bottled stuff we buy at the store

All I have done is to stop putting so much food on my plate. For example, a serving of cooked rice equals 1/3 of a cup. Also, white rice has more carbohydrates than brown rice. The best is wild and long grain rice, but I like brown rice (I just balance the meal with 1 serving of brown rice). I also add one serving of meat, or fish, etc., and lots of green salad. By doing this I have reduced the size of a meal by 2/3rd.

Breakfast: Quaker oats, cooked in 1% milk, flaxseed mixed in, one serving (one thin slice) of whole grain bread, and a glass of fresh (or from frozen) orange juice, or a 6oz glass of 1% milk

Snack (two hours later): 6-8 almonds, or two tablespoons of no-salt sunflower seeds (kernels, no shells), or an apple, or a pear, or around 12 grapes plus a very small piece os white cheese, hopefully low-fat or no fat cheese

Lunch two hours after the last snack: a low-carb meal as I mentioned at the beginning

A second snack: two hours after lunch (one of same stuff I mentioned above, but not the same stuff)

Dinner (similar to lunch): two hours after the last snack

The only way to find out which foods are increasing the amount of glucose (about 2 hours after a meal) is by testing your blood. When I had the problem, I used a Reli-On Confirm (around $20.00 and includes lancets plus around 50 test strips). This brand model used the cheapest test strips on the market back then (around $20.00 for 50). Some of the other brands cost twice or more than that.
-------
What makes us fat is the large intake of fat foods. What increases our blood sugar (pre-diabetics) is the large intake of carbohydrates. However, our bodies need carbohydrates, and protein (which includes fat).

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-27-2010 at 10:22 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 01:42 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,768,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I found out on May 17, 2009 that I was a type 2 diabetic. I tipped the scale at 208 pounds, and being a short man of 5'7'' tall and 42 years old, that was heavy. Also, my medical test results clearly showed that my cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood sugar levels were through the roof, and I needed to get them lowered. My blood sugar was as high as 500, and I had blurred vision, and was going to the bathroom every two hours. So I knew something was wrong.

So here's what I did. I simply gave up all fast foods. I used to eat fast foods for lunch and dinner a week about 3-5 times. Since I am a teacher (which alone is a very stressful job) and active at my local church, it was easier for me to get something fast to eat instead of eating healthy since I wouldn't always come directly home after work.

Then I gave up the sugary drinks I loved---rootbeer soda, starbucks frappiccinos, milk shakes, and I started drinking lots of water.

The first week I switched over to eating just salads with lean meats. I began watching my carbs not going over more than 55 carbs per meal.

After 4 weeks I noticed that my 38 waist pants were getting bigger on me.
After 8 weeks, I noticed that I was feeling much better and I noticed that my gut was going down as well as my love handles. Then I started eating Weight Watchers steamers for lunch, which by the way they are actually good becauase I got tired of eating just salads for lunch.

I will say too that I TOTALLY STOPPED BEING GREEDY. When I want a steak, I eat just a portion of it. Instead of eating 3 pieces of fried chicken I only eat one piece, but I pile up more vegetables on my plate, making it half of what I eat off my plate instead of a fourth or a third. I don't eat any large portions of white rice anymore. I gave up all white bread switching to whole grain or wheat. I drink water with every meal, and when I do want to drink something besides water. I drink unsweetened iced tea with splenda. I also drink diet soda too, and I am used to the flavor.

Another thing I changed about my eating habits is now I eat 3 meals a day and snack in between. I never would eat breakfast in the morning and would just wait to eat lunch because I thought that by not eating breakfast that would keep me from gaining weight. It basically did the opposite by lowering my metabolism.

Now I would be lying if I said I don't cheat. When I want to eat something sweet, I do. Instead of eating half of the oreo cookies in the package. I only eat 3 of them. Instead of eating a whole pint of ice cream (cookies n cream is my favorite) I just eat three spoonfuls. Instead of eating a whole bag of chips, I eat maybe 5-7 chips. I just read how much is a serving on any food or snack I am about to eat, and I don't go over that amount so that I can stay within my total carb intake for the day.

On August 27, 2009 (3 months since I was diagnosed a type 2 diabetic) my doctor's nurse weighed me, and I weighed 188 pounds. I was blown away, because I had not started exercising. I just changed my bad eating habits and stopped being greedy.

After the last doctor's visit, I was motivated to start a treadmill routine. My 5 day routine is as follows:
I do a 5 minute warm up on a 5% incline. After 5 minutes, I do 7-10 intervals of brisk walking at 3.5 mph for 30 secs. Then for 60 seconds I walk slowly at about 1.5 mph. (THE LATEST RESEARCH SAYS YOU GET MORE CALORIE BURNING BANG FOR YOUR BUCK WHEN YOU EXERCISE THIS WAY) After doing those 7-10 intervals, I walk backwards 60 seconds at 1.5 mph, then I walk forward at 3.5 mph for 30 seconds repeating these intervals for about 5 times. Then I cool down for 5 mins and stretch. It averages about 30-45 mins depending on how many intervals I do. (Now I didn't start off in the beginning doing this routine. I worked my way gradually up to it.)

It's a year later, and I have gained muscle weight, and my body fat is much lower. I am still eating very clean and heathy, and working out to me is like eating. I weight train 3 times a week, and I do cardio 2-3 times a week on alternate days. I am hovering around 178 pounds, and I can still fit my 32 inch pants. I will be getting blood work read again next month, and hopefully my levels are still good.

Congrats to you!!!!!! I was diagnosed type 11 and i lost almost 60 lbs, it's taken me 2 yrs to do it, but i can't exercise much due to really bad knees, i just started therapy for them so hopefully i can get more active and walk more. I gave up fast food as well, i'm having a hard time with bread though. Fast food is so bad for you and after you've given it up for a while you don't even want it, i have no desire for it now.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:33 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,774,389 times
I don't believe you can reverse diabetes, only the symptoms. At least that's what my doctor tells me. He's pretty confident that if I gained the 60 pounds that I've lost since January back, I would get my type 2 symptoms back.

Plus, believing that I am a diabetic and always will be, I live a healthier life. It's a psych out.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 PM

20,256 posts, read 36,954,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I don't believe you can reverse diabetes, only the symptoms. At least that's what my doctor tells me. He's pretty confident that if I gained the 60 pounds that I've lost since January back, I would get my type 2 symptoms back.

Plus, believing that I am a diabetic and always will be, I live a healthier life. It's a psych out.
You are correct. My nutritionist told me to think of diabetes type-2 (pre-diabetes) as being always there in a closet. When it gets out of the closet there is a problem, so diet and exercise can put it back in the closet and keep it there as long as you get back in shape (lose weight down to what it should be according to age and height), and and continue with the proper diet and exercise. It takes a lifetime change. While my blood-test readings are in the normal range now (without medication), I know very well that I have to stay in shape and eat properly, while maintaining my weight at the right level (age/height).

Old 10-29-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You are correct. My nutritionist told me to think of diabetes type-2 (pre-diabetes) as being always there in a closet. When it gets out of the closet there is a problem, so diet and exercise can put it back in the closet and keep it there as long as you get back in shape (lose weight down to what it should be according to age and height), and and continue with the proper diet and exercise. It takes a lifetime change. While my blood-test readings are in the normal range now (without medication), I know very well that I have to stay in shape and eat properly, while maintaining my weight at the right level (age/height).
That was the key for me. I am still maintaining my weight. Lipid panel is excellent, and I am gaining muscle weight and losing fat. I am about the size I was in high school, and have the profile pix to prove it.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 AM

159 posts, read 454,773 times
I read a book about reversing diabetes (I am Type 2) and the bottom line is no meat and no dairy. I tried it for three weeks and was surprised at how easy it was. I ate plenty of food and the weight dropped off without exercise. I am not on it totally now, I added some meat because I was worried about protein (I know, some vegs have protein). I eat oatmeal every day at some point during the day because I love it and it's very satisfying. If I want something sweet at night, I will sometimes have oatmeal. I made a sugar-free apple pie with Splenda, and it was very good. Also, my grocery bill was much less not buying meat and dairy. I do not by cheese at all, except Parmesan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes